Thread: How to refinish a vintage Mandolin

Default How to refinish a vintage Mandolin

Searching your forum provided info on to do - or not to do. But, I could not easily find "how to do" it.

I have a 1938 Martin 2-15 that I bought as a basket case. Body has been re-glued, new neck applied, and some of the melted finish scraped off. A fine coat of sealing lacquer was applied by the guy who did the repair work.

As a frugal yankee, and fairly accomplished woodworker, I decided to get some on-line help and attempt to repair or improve the finish, myself. Doing nothing is an option, but I'd appreciate some help exploring active options.

Please see attached pic. And, thanks for any direction you can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG 
Views:	473 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	158882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0761.JPG 
Views:	421 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	158883  

Default Re: How to refinish a vintage Mandolin

A couple thoughts.....first rule of vintage instruments -- NEVER mess with the original finish. Second rule of vintage instruments -- NEVER mess with the original finish. I'm sure you've read similar things online.

That being said, here's what my eyes see. You have an original 1938 Martin with approximately 80% original finish in good or acceptable condition, IMHO. The good news is that the problem areas are located in a isolated area. The bad news is that they are on the front of the instrument. Looks like a pickguard would cover another 10-12% of the problem and you would be left with a small area around the perimeter that is mostly contained in the dark shaded portion of the sunburst. I would suggest only a touch-up to improve the appearance. If you could respray the dark portion of the sunburst between the pickguard and the tailpiece I think that would remove the distraction of the finish blotches without having to refinish the entire instrument. That's my take.

That looks like off gassing from a celluloid pick guard or perhaps a vinyl strap reacting with lacquer. My take is that as long as you realize you might be lowering the value of the instrument and not increasing it then have it. If you have the ability to make it nicer looking for yourself there's nothing wrong with that. That should have been a lacquer finish by 1938 unless Martin decided to finish those mandolins with varnish. The binding might react to any harsh chemical you use to try and strip it (if you want to do that) and if you decide to sand it off try not to remove too much wood or it might collapse. If you're good enough to just touch up the problem areas that's a possibility, if not try to retain the sides and back and just do the top. Keep us informed on your progress.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I believe this instrument is a good candidate for refinishing. The top looks terrible as it is, and it could look really good again with the effort of a good vintage style finish application. After all, the thing has a new neck - so it's fair to say its collectibility was shot off in the war!

I would like to add one quick caution. There's overwhelming evidence that stripping and refinishing with lacquer can have a devastating effect on celluloid binding, causing the leaching out of plasticizers with the ultimate result of cracking and deterioration. So, it's imperative to protect the binding if you can - first from stripper, later from the lacquer itself. That means, I believe, at least a fairly thick coat of shellac on the binding before any lacquer solvent finish is layered over it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Ford For This Useful Post:

Thank you all, for your comments and suggestions. I had already tried the minimalist approach before joining the forum....the results are shown in the original post. So, accepting that I just wanted to make it "Mine", I abandoned the notion of preserving it, and went after recreating the look and feel of an instrument that I got from Don Macroste in @1980. (Which I was stupid enough to trade for an electric guitar, so that I could play in a rock band. I was young and dumb.....what can I say).

Anyway, here are the before and after pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	159546

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3965.JPG 
Views:	420 
Size:	506.1 KB 
ID:	159545

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hesallwet For This Useful Post:

I went with Stew Mac Dyes, and the "Tried and True Original" finish. It's not as durable as shellac, but hey, I'm a woodworker......I can touch up the finish anytime. Ya know, after looking at my post below, it seems I need a bit more dye in a few spots.........

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Looks good; better in my view.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

To me the key word here is "vintage." Some people get it, some don't.

To put it another way, there are two kinds of men in the world, those who "get" powerwashing and those who don't. My brother-in-law is "addicted" to powerwashing, for lack of a better word. Me, I don't get powerwashing......

I think the same goes for refinishing for the sake of refinishing, IMHO.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I love your results. Some buyers (if you ever wanted to sell) would turn their noses up at a refinishing job, but I would be much more likely to buy a refinished one like yours.
    All of my instruments are quite humble (2 mandolins, tenor banjo, octave mandolin) but when I open one of their cases I get a little bit of "dang, that's a nice looking instrument!". No matter how rare or historic, I wouldn't get that same feeling if it was all beat to heck. That's just me.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

IMHO - you did a terrific job.That mandolin,original finish or not,looked 'bad'. I'm with Paul Busman all the way !. The mandolin most likely looked superb when new - then it didn't - now it does !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Nice work! Very tasteful re-finishing job IMO! I might have tried to reproduce the sunburst but what you did looks grand!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

100 years from now, this will be a "vintage" finish.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

16. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post: