Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Mics for Mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live Mics for Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    I wasn't talking a cheap piezo transducer.
    Unless I'm in the studio, I wouldn't use a mike.

Here's a couple of fellas playing with pickups. They seem to sound ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDhnVWcO8U
    Chris Thile uses an Audio Technica clip-on mic:

"Chris Thile: I use an ATM-35 microphone Audio Technica clip-on microphone, not a contact mic. It's a little microphone that clips onto the arm rest, a little clamp clips on to the microphone and goes over the sound-hole.

Source: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...s_001436.shtml

He also regularly used stand-mounted large diaphragm condenser mics live, or a Neumann KM184 SD condenser.

Sam Bush.... you are not normally hearing the transducer (an ancient Barcus-Berry Hot Dot) when you hear him live. That is split off sent to the monitors with the possibility to 'blend' with a Countryman Isomax mini-mic. This one:

http://www.countryman.com/isomax-2-a...ose-microphone

That is the main FOH feed...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Hopefully the OP has now found something (as the question was asked 2 years ago)

However, I'd probably give up mandolin all together if I had to be heard via a Baggs transducer....and yes, it is a piezo system.

I'd ended up going with a mic a friend of mine in a bluegrass band uses a Miktek PM10. It really captures the mandolin how i wanted it too its also good for guitar. I purchased it from sweetwater.

3. The following members say thank you to Girouardfan for this post:

I'm using a Ear Trumpet Labs Del Edwina. Love it for mandolin and vocals. It's not on their website you have to ask for it. It's an added $50 over the regular Edwina.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I've never heard a pick- up that sounds natural,
    Me neither. I avoid pickups like the plague. I'm fortunate in being specialized in playing Irish/Scottish trad these days, a genre that doesn't usually involve high sound levels on stage. My Rock 'n Roll and electric Blues days are long gone, so I can use acoustic instruments and mics now.

I don't even like one of the mics that mount on the mandolin. Do you listen to a mandolin with your ear 2inches from the mandolin, try it some time and see if it still sounds the same.
    Well, it's a compromise, but still far more "acoustic" sounding to my ears than any pickup. If a nice small diaphragm condenser mic on a stand, say a KM184, is rated a "10" for a natural acoustic sound, then the DPA 4099 clip-on mic I use is at least an "8" on that scale. The proximity allows more gain before feedback than external mics, a useful trade-off in most situations.

There are other advantages, basically the ones you get with a pickup, like not being locked into position in front of an external mic. That used to cause me some back and neck strain when using external mics, especially since we mainly play seated in this style of music and can't move around. Another advantage of clip-on mics is that when running my own PA, I can use a wireless rig out in the audience area to sound-check and tune the PA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I've never heard a pick- up that sounds natural, I don't even like one of the mics that mount on the mandolin. Do you listen to a mandolin with your ear 2inches from the mandolin, try it some time and see if it still sounds the same.
    The same as what? It will sound extremely close to what you hear if you put your own ear in that exact spot, with some degree of proximity effect if the mic is directional. That would mainly manifest as a slight bass boost (which you can easily 'undo' via simple EQ). If you use an omnidirectional mic then proximity effect will be minimal, at the expense of side/rear rejection.

My own preference is for a stand-mounted condenser mic, but even the sound from that varies quite a bit depending on exactly where you 'aim it' or how close you get..... it is all compromises...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Still sound like a mandolin that I'm used to hearing. I listen to mandolins from a couple to several feet away not inches. Yes you can roll off the base and by your own admission it will sound close. I know I'm picky but I'd rather hear a mandolin sound natural not processed.

A pickup takes a vibration and converts it into an electrical signal which goes thru a preamp, another preamp and power amp then to the speaker which vibrates and makes it sound like something the ear can hear.

A mic takes a sound wave (vibration) and converts it into an electrical signal that goes thru a preamp, a power amp and then to a speaker which vibrates and makes it sound like something the ear can hear.

Your choice of anything in between the mandolin and the ear can color and change the sound of just the mandolin and the ear. I still maintain my mandolin sounds like my mandolin with a K&K (uniquely installed) pickup. I can play it easier than when I play into a mic so it is easier for my aging hands. I have a nice mandolin, and if it didn't sound good I wouldn't use it. I agree some pickups don't sound natural. The lower volume you play with a pickup the more natural it sounds. We don't play loud, but it sure helps me to play easier and be able to move using a pickup. I would venture that anyone listening with eyes closed would not be able to tell I was using a pickup. I always have the option of adding a mic on a stand or on the mandolin should I feel I need it, rarely do I feel I need it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Ok I'm reviving this old thread!

In my band I use an SM57 for mandolin, and and SM58 for vocals. I like the sound I get from the SM57, but we usually have to crank my level up on our PA - like to 0.7 of max... for me to get adequate volume in the mix. Theres no distortion, but it's way higher than all of the other channels. I've been considering a different mic, maybe a condenser, but I'm worried about feedback. We do use the big wedge monitors most of the time. Any recommendations? Just live with it? Is there an additional pre-amp i could use?

A related question. I sit when I play because I have a back issue. When I have to tune (which is often, especially when we play outside), I don't have a good way of mu!ting. I try turning in my stool, but the mic still catches it. The bass player, who is closest to the sound board, often mutes me there, but he's tired of doing that. I have searched for on/off foot switches - they are either expensive or have mixed reviews. Any experience with this one: https://www.amazon.com/rolls-Mic-Swi...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Ok I'm reviving this old thread!

In my band I use an SM57 for mandolin, and and SM58 for vocals. I like the sound I get from the SM57, but we usually have to crank my level up on our PA - like to 0.7 of max... for me to get adequate volume in the mix. Theres no distortion, but it's way higher than all of the other channels. I've been considering a different mic, maybe a condenser, but I'm worried about feedback. We do use the big wedge monitors most of the time. Any recommendations? Just live with it? Is there an additional pre-amp i could use?

A related question. I sit when I play because I have a back issue. When I have to tune (which is often, especially when we play outside), I don't have a good way of mu!ting. I try turning in my stool, but the mic still catches it. The bass player, who is closest to the sound board, often mutes me there, but he's tired of doing that. I have searched for on/off foot switches - they are either expensive or have mixed reviews. Any experience with this one: https://www.amazon.com/rolls-Mic-Swi...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks
    You might add a mic booster to your signal chain and keep your dynamic mic, if you have phantom power available from your sound board. The Cloudlifter was the original in this category, but now there are others by Klark et c for about $50, and it's a good versatile piece of gear. An easy search will give you options.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

no one uses mikes anymore for instruments.....they only use vocal mikes ... then everyone plugs in with a d.i and effects and everything is run thru the p.a
    then with in ear monitors you can crank the p.a as loud as you want ... no feedback or any other problems, the mcourrys , billy strings, just about everyone does it this way.....bella flecks recent tour with brian sutton ,sierra hull, and the rest have been the only one ive seen that still used instrument mikes. i've been doing it this way for the last couple years ....less problems and so much easier and by the way have ya seen the amount of effects ronnie mcourry and cody kilby have at there feet......looks like van halen down there ..my lord !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jherm View Post
    no one uses mikes anymore for instruments.....they only use vocal mikes ... then everyone plugs in with a d.i and effects and everything is run thru the p.a
    then with in ear monitors you can crank the p.a as loud as you want ... no feedback or any other problems, the mcourrys , billy strings, just about everyone does it this way.....bella flecks recent tour with brian sutton ,sierra hull, and the rest have been the only one ive seen that still used instrument mikes. i've been doing it this way for the last couple years ....less problems and so much easier and by the way have ya seen the amount of effects ronnie mcourry and cody kilby have at there feet......looks like van halen down there ..my lord !!!!!!
    I saw the Quebe Sisters, 3 fiddles, bass and guitar. Five Ear Trumpet mics. Vocal and fiddle through three, just instruments through the other two. Great sound, no issues.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Plenty of bands still use mikes. Obviously Billy and other jam grass acts that use effects are gonna have pick ups. When Del plays they all mic. Many players believe that sound is lost when compressed/modeled, etc. Overtones that give the instruments certain tonal and emotive qualities do not transfer to a pickup,etc. All that said I use a tonedexter becuase I mainly play bar gigs and I am willing to sacrifice tone for feedback resistance and gain. But the idea of playing in a room where people are listening to the music and micing more often has an appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by jherm View Post
    no one uses mikes anymore for instruments....
    ^^^Exaggerating for effect.^^^^

Obviously tons of bands use instrument mics. And lots of performers can go either way depending on the room, and the sound they're trying to achieve, and how much staff and equipment they can afford.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

There are plenty of mics old and new that are more directional which will narrow the focus to your instrument and allow more volume before feedback. I just know the old ones, like an AKG 451 or Sure SM81.

I recently ditched a clip on mic, AT Pro 35, for a Shure 81. The Pro 35 was almost too good as it picked up everything, including each time my hand or pick touched the mando body.

Before choosing the Shure 81, I rotated 3 different mics for a comparison, first playing in a small venue, then at home so I could do a head to head. The 3 mics were a Shure 57 Beta, Rhode M3, and the Shure 81. To my ears the Rhode was loudest and the Shure 81 was warmest.

I am enjoying playing with the mic but have to remember that mic proximity is a skill that needs to be developed too.

I have a Myers mic that I live. It attaches to my instrument and can be moved from Mando to fiddle and back.

I’ve used a LR Baggs Venue DI with a SM-57 before on mandolin and guitar and had good results. The mute on the Venue is effective and the tuner reasonably accurate; it’s no Peterson but as good or better than the clip ons I’ve used. The EQ is good and setting up the feedback killer is effective. I used to play regularly in church with keys, drums, guitar (acoustic and electric), bass, and vocals but haven’t done so with a full set up since the world shut down in 2020. But, I haven’t sold the Venue just yet . Definitely not as loud as a bar gig, but also not a quiet acoustic set.

Best of luck in finding your solution! (I’ll also admit I haven’t googled the price of a new Venue lately, so apologize if it’s become cost prohibitive).

21. The following members say thank you to CES for this post: