Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bach, where to start?

Default Re: Bach, where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    The Bourree BWV 1009 isn't too hard.
    You'll probably find the sheet music for violin for free somewhere on the web and a nice arrangement for mandolin by Alison Stephens at Astute music.
    It's in the collection "Favorite Mandolin Solos 18th century" (among other nice baroque pieces).
    https://www.astute-music.com/store/p...h_century.html
    Here's what I tried to make of this arrangement:

But you don't need a Japanese bowlback, it also works on a Chinese F mandolin

Here is the violin sheet:http://www.free-scores.com/download-....php?pdf=69243
    That is one of the easier pieces--but you can also add to it as you improve--it's a great piece for that.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Attached Files Attached Files

3. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

Tavy 

A lot of good suggestions in this thread! In particular John Goodin's article has quite a few which I am investigating.

I've played fiddle and mandolin for over thirty years, mostly in the old-time American and Irish genres, but last year I became fascinated by Bach's preludes and fugues in his two Well-tempered Clavier series. I got the scores from IMSLP and followed along as I listened. I ended up buying a cheap midi keyboard and the Pianoteq software... but that's another story.

I suggest that mandolinists look into the Bach keyboard works as well as the solo violin and cello works. There are some great and challenging melodies contained therein. I have no compunctions about transposing pieces into more comfortable keys -- I know my limitations, and I'd rather learn a great melody in a key I like than contort my fingers with the likes of C minor. Some keyboard pieces that I have learned on fiddle and mandolin:

The "Little Prelude" in C minor, transposed to D minor
    The first gavotte from the 3rd English suite, transposed to D minor
    The first menuet from keyboard Partita no. 1, transposed to A (Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer recorded it in this key)

The Gavotte en rondeau and Bourree from the E Major solo violin Partita no. 3 work well for me transposed into D. I have PDF files available of transpositions I've worked up -- contact me if you want copies.

5. The following members say thank you to Larry Ayers for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Well, Bach is really not an easy one to pick up, so maybe try some "easier" composers before you move on to Bach? Not all of his pieces are challenging technically, but they do take some understanding of phrasing, structure etc. to sound properly.
    While I agree, encourage you to try. Go for it. See what you bump into and figure out how to correct it. One way of making progress is to wander into the wrong room and figure it out from there. Yes there is a lot to it, but doing it well starts with doing it, and that starts with trying to do it.

If you are looking for a very viable "front door" I would advise Skype lessons with a classical mandolin teacher. I really would. One thing a teacher can provide is specific exercises and etudes you could work on to make specific Bach pieces come a little easier. I did not know this years back, but for every difficulty one is likely to encounter in classical music, someone as created an etude to help you work on it. Its amazing. Violin and mandolin methods are stuffed full of "medicine" for specific problems, and a good teacher will know what to prescribe.

Short of that, get in there and start falling down and getting up again.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm also just getting into classical music on mando. Bach cello suite 1 has been my gateway drug. It's so so satisfying to play it at half tempo (or slower!) and work it up to speed click by click. One of the more satisfying things I've done.

And don't be intimidated by it. It took me about 3 months, but I now have all of suite 1 up to recommended tempos. 3 months ago, I would not have thought I could do it.

As a beginner, I've also found Mair's The Complete Mandolinist really helpful. When I play, I go back and forth between playing Bach and working through her method book. They complement each other well.