Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide...MAS kicked in early

Default Trying to decide...MAS kicked in early

I bought a Rogue mandolin for my initial venture into this world. I got the book from here and got it set up pretty well. I enjoy this probably as much if not more than guitar. I have practiced every day since I got it. That.....was 3.5 weeks ago.

I find myself in a position where I could pick up a kentucky 140 or 150, there's one of each, for about $130. Picking one would be the other decision.

So....3.5 weeks....still a beginner but picking up fast.....

Thoughts?

Default Re: Trying to decide...MAS kicked in early

Am still a novice at mandolin, but if the Kentucky 150 is a recent version (they have changed over the years), that's a very attractive price. I'd be on it in a second. Then again, I already have two mandolins myself.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Personally, I started on a cheap mandolin and also quickly became tempted into getting something better. My starter had been set up by a luthier and played well, but the more I played the more I wanted to upgrade. I expressed to a friend that I felt I couldn't justify it so soon and that I should wait til I got better. But he disagreed with me and encouraged me to get the best instrument within my means to assist my progression. A while later I caved and bought the Eastman I had been eyeing for months.

Almost a full year on from then, I personally feel my friend was right and I am extremely grateful for his advice. The mandolin I upgraded to has a better build and 'fit' for me, especially regarding the neck and fretboard. It also sounds and plays better, so I enjoy playing it so much more. It's satisfying, to say the least. What's more is that the mandolin just inspires me to keep playing it, because of the better sound and playability. I love it. My advice to you is to upgrade if you really want to and can afford it. The KM-150 gets so much praise here so I doubt you'd go wrong. And there's no reason why you can't keep the Rogue as a beater. I kept my starter as a spare for when friends come over.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

4. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

The 510 has solid wood in the back and sides, the 140 has laminate back and sides. If they are the same price go with the 150.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Kentuckys have a good reputation for Asian instruments, but you'll probably want to upgrade from it sooner rather than later.

So if you're reasonably happy with the Rogue but want move up to more serious instrument, why not keep playing the Rogue, keep saving for a while, learn more about what's out there, and buy something more substantial when you have the money to spring for it?

It won't cure your MAS (nothing will), but I think it might make your ears happier in the long run.

7. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

The Kentucky KM150, of recent vintage, is a carved instrument of solid woods and therefore both a material upgrade on your Rogue and a legitimate bargain at $130. As far as MAS goes, your case isn't fatal. My prognosis was far worse.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    The 510 has solid wood in the back and sides, the 140 has laminate back and sides. If they are the same price go with the 150.
    There's a $10 difference, negligible really.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    The Kentucky KM150, of recent vintage, is a carved instrument of solid woods and therefore both a material upgrade on your Rogue and a legitimate bargain at $130. As far as MAS goes, your case isn't fatal. My prognosis was far worse.
    I own 7 guitars....jus sayin'....

12. The following members say thank you to B381 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    I own 7 guitars....jus sayin'....
    So you know, there will always be a mandolin you will want to buy, no matter how satisfied you are with what you have already acquired.

Couple of points to think about.

Can = must is a chuck hole you can break your ankle on. Just because you can afford to get a mandolin doesn't mean you have to. And just because you have the budget for XXXX.XX doesn't mean you have to spend the whole budget.

Secondly, you haven't said what, if any, musical goals or aspirations you are pursuing. Its relevant only in that if you were going after bluegrass, the arch top, with f holes makes some sense. If you are not going after bluegrass, perhaps an arch top oval hole, or better yet, maybe a flat top. Flattops often enough are a better buy for the same dollar. Lots of options for a next step.

Third, you have already proven to yourself with the Rogue that the passion for the mandolin is not going away any time soon. Its not a passing fancy. You can justify more of a budget based on knowing that.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

I started on an inexpensive Japanese made Terada, that my Dad got for me at a television repair shop. I played (at) that thing for four years before I moved to something better. It took leaving it in a hot car one summer day whereupon it destroyed itself. I am not saying follow me, just that nobody would fault you for taking more than 3.5 weeks to think things through.

Believe me, MAS will be there when you are ready. And even after you get your next mandolin. And the next one.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

A Kentucky KM-150 for $130-140 -- less than half the deepest discounted dealer price? And you have experience doing set-up, so that's not an issue?

No-brainer, IMHO; go for it. You could probably re-sell it for more than you paid for it, if you didn't find it a substantial improvement over the Rogue. Which you almost certainly will.

Generally, "save your money" is good advice. But by purchasing the KM-150, you actually are "saving your money" -- because you're almost certain to get at least that purchase price in a re-sale or a trade. The Kentucky is a good baseline mandolin: solid woods, carved, recognized and respected brand. It's by far the most recommended "first mandolin" here on the Cafe.

If you play the KM-150 for a year, take care of it, and then decide you want to take another step up, it should return its purchase price -- maybe more -- in a trade-in or private sale. If you were paying dealer price for it, I'd agree with some of the posts above that say, "Save up for a couple more years before you let MAS kick in; get a mandolin at the $500-$1K price point." But at the price you quote, I can't see a reason to pass it up.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Once you have the bug, there is no cure. Only successively more expensive treatments!
    Go for it! And pass the Rogue on to a deserving kid, or keep it as your camp fire mandolin.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Stick with the rogue, and play it. Save that 150$ 10 more times, then buy something nice. Several "upgrades" of 150 to 500 dollars adds up. Not saying the Kentucky isn't a good deal, it could be a nice one, but for how long? And how much of an upgrade is it really?
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Leonard For This Useful Post:

If you love picking on a mando, aim for the stars and expect to spend lots! It's well worth it IMO.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Stick with the rogue, and play it. Save that 150$ 10 more times, then buy something nice. Several "upgrades" of 150 to 500 dollars adds up. Not saying the Kentucky isn't a good deal, it could be a nice one, but for how long? And how much of an upgrade is it really?
    A pretty substantial one. These are really nice sounding mandolins.....I have seen plenty of $500+ instruments that don't come close.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

22. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

What you are experiencing is not unusual. What I did was on a slightly different level. I bought an Eastman MD 505. It got me hooked, but I started trying better mandolins. Within four months I bought my Silverangel.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    +1 on this . . . I couldn't have said it better myself. I KNOW how tempting it is to fall into MAS so early in the process, (I am going through it, BIG TIME, myself, right now), but the truth is that the more you play and learn, the more your mandolin preferences will develop. You may find that after a few months of playing, you prefer the sound of an oval hole to f-holes, or (for example) that you are more interested in folk, celtic or old-time music more than bluegrass, or that you prefer a 'C' neck to a 'V' neck . . . and a vast number of other variations.

My opinion - keep playing, listening, experimenting and building up that MAS fund . . . and wait until you find the 'right' mandolin - not just 'any' mandolin.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    the truth is that the more you play and learn, the more your mandolin preferences will develop. You may find that after a few months of playing, you prefer the sound of an oval hole to f-holes, or (for example) that you are more interested in folk, celtic or old-time music more than bluegrass, or that you prefer a 'C' neck to a 'V' neck . . . and a vast number of other variations.
    I agree, but at least in my experience, I had to play a bunch of different mandolins to learn those preferences. Now maybe the OP lives in Nashville within walking distance of Carter's and Gruhn's, or in Michigan about an hour's drive from Elderly, and can easily sample a wide array of instruments for free before returning home to that Rogue a wiser picker. For a lot of us, that option is simply not available, and buying -- often at a distance -- is the only alternative. I have found that buying prudently, and buying used, helps mitigate the expense, so purchasing a Cafe approved model such as the Kentucky KM150 well under market for $130 seems a safe venture. And even if it's a catastrophic loss, I spent roughly the same amount yesterday taking my family out to paint ceramics and have cupcakes afterwards. Methinks there is more lasting enjoyment to be found in that mandolin.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Reassuring to hear at least some of the voices in this thread as I'm in the middle of "upgrading" my octave mandola.

At 30% off list price albeit with some cosmetic blemishes I couldn't say no .

Blog Entries

It kind of depends on what your hobby is. Is the hobby is speculating on the open mandolin market, or playing the dern thing. It's much easier to get a good mandolin at a great price than it is to get good at playing mandolin, at any price.

Forgive me. I am in a bad mood this morning. Had to go shopping for coffee this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

29. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Once you have the bug, there is no cure. Only successively more expensive treatments!
    Go for it! And pass the Rogue on to a deserving kid, or keep it as your camp fire mandolin.
    Your mandolin family is looking really great, Al!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

31. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I would say if a good deal comes your way, jump on it. The KM 150 will be a great upgrade.

MAS will never go away until you are well into the multiple thousands, and even then, you will want another one.

My .02 is that once you get the KM 150, save and move up to a $1200-1500 budget. A very nice used A style can be had for that.

IMHO, you can not have an instrument that is too nice for your playing level. The more you like your mandolin, the more you will play it. The more you will play it, the faster your playing will progress.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I think the Kentucky 150 would be a good purchase, and then I agree with the advice to save while playing the Kentucky and make the next purchase a significant upgrade (somewhere in the $2000 range,) which would be a BIG jump up, but by that time you should know what your goals and preferences are in terms of neck, music you prefer to play, A versus F style, etc.

34. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It kind of depends on what your hobby is. Is the hobby is speculating on the open mandolin market, or playing the dern thing. It's much easier to get a good mandolin at a great price than it is to get good at playing mandolin, at any price.

Forgive me. I am in a bad mood this morning. Had to go shopping for coffee this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
    Coffee or not, that, right there, are words of true wisdom.

Blog Entries

I'd agree with those who say that to get a significant sonic upgrade from a KM-150 you would probably need to spend upwards of $900 (into KM-900/950 territory). The KM-505's (around $600) are 'prettier' and have a somewhat different feel to the neck, but sound-wise - not much, if anything in it. A student I am teaching has a recent KM-150, and it really is a very good sounding mandolin indeed. Best I have ever heard at anything like that price.....and I've heard plenty far more expensive ones (fancier looking, maybe) that could not match it in terms of tone and volume. $130? I'd have jumped right on that one.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

37. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I've got the KM-250 and it's great. Wound up upgrading to an Eastman 614 because there was a great deal in the classifieds, but by sound I'd still be perfectly happy with the Kentucky.

39. The following members say thank you to jtv for this post: