Thread: Tabs TOTO-AFRICA

Default Tabs TOTO-AFRICA

I really want to learn Africa-Toto on the mandolin but I don't know how to make tabs.

Does someone have tabs for this song or can someone make tabs? Or can someone learn me how to make tabs?

Thanks!

Default Re: Tabs TOTO-AFRICA

Hi, and welcome to the Cafe!

That song is permanently burned into my brain. I remember when my mother bought a brand-new Ford LTD in the early 1980s (I think it was a 1984 model), and it came with a music sampler cassette tape from Ford Motor Company. That song was on it. I probably heard that song hundreds and hundreds of times as we drove, and the whole family would sing harmony on it while riding in the car. LOL, good times!

What are you looking for, specifically, in the way of tabs? There are already numerous sources on the net with lyrics and chord progressions (like this one). I don't recall there being a lot of instrumental melody work in it; it was mainly just filler between lyrics and some simple runs. It should be easy enough to sound out on the mandolin without requiring full tablature (and I would encourage you to practice sounding it out). To answer the question, though, I'm not aware of anyone who has created full mandolin tabs for it. Was it the riffs and fill work you were wanting tabs for, or just the basic chord progression?
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

I just heard this song the other day while looking for bargains at Goodwill. It was playing in the background. When it came to the line about "I know that I must do what's right, as sure as Kilamanjaro rises like a leopress above the Serengheti" I almost lost it. Some songwriter REALLY went out of his way to get that phrase in there!
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

4. The following members say thank you to Steve VandeWater for this post:

Just stumbled across this video. This is a great song, as sure as Kilamanjaro rises like a leopress above the Serengheti. See, it just rolls off the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve VandeWater View Post
    I just heard this song the other day while looking for bargains at Goodwill. It was playing in the background. When it came to the line about "I know that I must do what's right, as sure as Kilamanjaro rises like a leopress above the Serengheti" I almost lost it. Some songwriter REALLY went out of his way to get that phrase in there!
    I believe it's "Kilamanjaro rises like OLYMPUS above the Serengeti." Based on a Google search for the lyrics. "Leopress" just doesn't make any sense - why, or how, would a leopress rise above the Serengeti? If you listen closely they are singing "Olympus." It's a Mondegreen!

Jack

7. The following members say thank you to JCook for this post:

The ghost of Bill Monroe is moaning "Thaaaaaatt aaaain't noooooooo paaaaaart oooooooof nuuuuuuuuuuuuuthin'!"
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

I know this is a year late, but my son loves this song (age 10) and wanted to learn it.
    Mandotabs is a great resource:
    https://mandotabs.com/t/toto/africa/

Give this one a look. I'm a huge fan of this guy.

https://youtu.be/MLrC7e3vSv8
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

Since a female leopard is a leopardess then a leopress must be a female leper? Imagine rising above the Serengeti? Scary!

14. The following members say thank you to Dacraw54 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    I believe it's "Kilamanjaro rises like OLYMPUS above the Serengeti." Based on a Google search for the lyrics. "Leopress" just doesn't make any sense - why, or how, would a leopress rise above the Serengeti? If you listen closely they are singing "Olympus." It's a Mondegreen!

Jack
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/toto/africa.html
    We are the music makers,

16. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Whatever happened to Vine

I was in Army basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC (Tank Hill for those of you in the know.....) when this song was popular...man, does it bring back memories and how in world did 30+ years go by so fast....!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

19. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I was in Army basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC (Tank Hill for those of you in the know.....) when this song was popular...man, does it bring back memories and how in world did 30+ years go by so fast....!
    I was at Tank Hill in Oct '78. My feet still hurt.
    I remember "Africa" from, I guess it was '83? I had the vinyl '45'. It was pressed in the shape of the continent of Africa. The kind of novelty that I wouldn't waste my water on now was just too cool for a 25 year old simpleton to pass up back then.
    We are the music makers,

I still have that vinyl 45 shaped like Africa. I bought it just after I left Africa to come to the USA. I also bought a 45 in the shape of a Pink Cadillac - Springsteen. Ah! The good old days...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I was at Tank Hill in Oct '78. My feet still hurt.
    I remember "Africa" from, I guess it was '83? I had the vinyl '45'. It was pressed in the shape of the continent of Africa. The kind of novelty that I wouldn't waste my water on now was just too cool for a 25 year old simpleton to pass up back then.
    I was back there for a visit in 2012 and the Hill didn't seem as steep or long as it did all those years ago...of course all the old barracks are gone but the memories remain. I still think of those days when I hear this tune while at the grocery store.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Give this one a look. I'm a huge fan of this guy.

https://youtu.be/MLrC7e3vSv8
    Its kind of hard to improve on the original but this version is incredible!!

Here it is with mandolin. There are other videos of these guys (Love Canon) playing this, and a studio version available on line. Not much for mandolin other that rhythm and fills.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0JkColKrYo

I’ve got a chord solo version I came up with that I was hired to play at a wedding. I’ve been meaning to record a video of it, I’ll try to knock it out in the next week or so.

26. The following members say thank you to danielpatrick for this post: