Thread: Bridge Cover

Default Bridge Cover

To bad about the closed thread on bridge cover. I am interested in how it will work on an Octave Mando. It is obviously larger than a mandolin and like a Mando cello might see an advantage in the use of such a cover. For me, reaching up to the sweet spot sometimes results in some muting on these larger instruments with my playing style, and this little cheater might help. We'll see. I am going to try one and will report back.

Hopefully moderator will bless this kind of open discussion if we keep specific products out of print. Gosh knows, we don't want anyone here knowing what is good and where one can find anything.
    John D

2. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

Default Re: Bridge Cover

Hopefully moderator will bless this kind of open discussion if we keep specific products out of print. Gosh knows, we don't want anyone here knowing what is good and where one can find anything.
    Actually you can discuss it to your hearts desire. He just can't sell it in the open forum. We have vendors that discuss their products without selling them from the message board all the time.

It's always good to take a look at the Posting Guidelines. You might read them as well. Carry on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Nevin 

Your comments are taken to heart, Mike. No need for snide comments from moderators... keep this on a high level, and on subject, which is "bridge cover"... We have been here too long to assume no review of Guidelines is the case..... I think that part of my lack of understanding regarding the termination of the other thread was the result of Moderator deletion the the offending postings. I could not see anything wrong with the thread as it now stands... Thanks for all your time and efforts keeping the cafe on point and toeing the line... Carry on.
    John D

John, thanks for the encouraging words...I put an ad in the class. section of the cafe.....send me a pic.of your bridge, with the length and width...I'll try to make one. thanks, Willy HutcH

Mike, you are right...At first I just wanted to get some feedback about my bridge cover...In all fairness to the cafe moderators, I crossed the line when I put the price out there. This is all new to me. Even my mando is new to me. I've not been playing very long. when I got my Kay, I felt that it would be good if I had something over the bridge to keep my hand off of it, I couldn't find anything, so I made one. "necessity is the mother of invention". thanks, Willy HutcH

Blog Entries

Willy I think your bridge cover idea has a future. I was even thinking it would even be a cool place to inlay a logo, a brand name, a cool design, my name, something like that. Some bling with a purpose.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I am interested in trying this out too, I tend to rest part of my hand on the bridge, and no matter how hard I try to stay off of the bridge I keep going back to it. I don't use a pickguard either. I am curious tho as to how it stays on, do you have something to grab the bridge underneath or would it fall off if you turn the mandolin face down? I can see it being nice an snug, but it would be hard to get it snug to just any mandolin without fitting it to that specific instrument. Thanks for your time Willy!
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Willie,
    I sent a reply to your ad asking if it would work on a Brekke Traditional Bridge. I sent a link to Vern's website showing the bridge and it's specifications. Did you get it?

Jeff. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm working on a logo now. Your name or 'whatever' on the top of the cover is a great Idea. Thanks, Willy HutcH.

Hey Skaggs, Thanks for the mess. The cover fits snug enough so that it won't fall off. If it's not tight enough, it will move around, and that would mean that I didn't do my job right. Then I would need to make you another one This is a brand new venture for me, , a learning process. I would love for you to try one, and give me some feedback on it. Send me your bridge specs.( and a pic. would help also.) Thanks, Willy HutcH.

Only ones on Nationals and Dobros don't dampen the bridge, because they are on the cover, not the resonant cones
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hey Scaggs, Email me the specs. for your bridge, I'll be happy to make you a cover. Thanks, Willy HutcH.

I got the first one from Willy. I had to do some minor sanding to get it to fit. The Brekke Traditional bridge are very different from standard Gibson style. It does the job and there was no tonal or volume loss. It will take some time to get used to the different feeling. I think he might be onto something here.

17. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Willy I think your bridge cover idea has a future. I was even thinking it would even be a cool place to inlay a logo, a brand name, a cool design, my name, something like that. Some bling with a purpose.
    what is a bridge cover??????

Hey, Wag. The cover is a device which attaches to the bridge and covers the top of it., making it impossible to 'hit the bridge,' or strings, with the wrist, or hand. There is a pic. in the classifieds under mandolin accessories. Thanks for asking. Willy HutcH.

thanks Willy

the added mass has to change the tone , having a heavier bridge, it has to mute things a bit,
    Just like a mute on a violin bridge does.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have just received one of these from, Willy. I am currently trying it on a Gilchrist Octave... initially, my feel is that it does affect the tone somewhat, but not to the point of walking away in disappointment. It has a bit of a muting affect... but I must admit that one has to a/b it on and off to really notice... I try it, and think... does it or doesn't it ?.... answer, yes it does, but to a not to a tremendous degree. I have to say that that surprised me. I thought that it would have a much more severe muting affect.
    John D

23. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

As I stated it did not affect the tone or the volume on my Weber Yellowstone, I don't have a scale to weigh it but, it is very light.

25. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Hey Scaggs, I was reading your post, and thought I would mention something else. When I make the bridge cover, I try to make it a little tight, This allows the user some room for 'fine tweaking' of the device. I leave the legs a little longer than they need to be so the user can lower the profile to about 1/8" above the strings., Or wherever they are comfortable with it. I do this so, like you said, the user can fit it to their liking. This device is not a 'cookie cutter'. , but each one is hand carved, and sanded. They are made of a black, plastic material, (yes, I know..sounds cheap)., so they turn out as 'flat black', this material allows the device to hold the bridge without being too tight, and the density is light. I hope this has been helpful, thanks, Willy HuTcH

John, just wanted to touch base,..how's it going with the cover? Thanks, Willy HuTcH

George, just want to see how it's going with the cover. Thanks, Willy HuTcH

Cover works as advertised.... a great tool to keep from dampening strings with palm of hand.... I personally don't keep it on the instrument (Octave) all the time, but I do use it occasionally. I still am surprised at how little it dampens or influences the voice of the instrument. at the end of the day, it will be a great devise for some folks out there that have a style that prevents them from playing up in a sweet spot due to their palm touching the strings in some manner.... this will certainly fix that. If you have a fluid approach to you picking hand, move about close to bridge and then up toward the neck, with a technique that allows you that control without the plam problem... then this won't do much for you... it really will be a personal issue, and opportunity to help your tone depending on what you need... The appearance is great... a black plastic, that looks very much like an ebony bridge material.... very natural looking.
    I have no financial interest in this game, just was glad to have the opportunity to try one out
    John D

I have received two prototypes from Willie. One is on a traditional adjustable bridge, the other is on a 20's Regal Tenor with a modern one piece bridge (not the tiny one standard with Regals). They take a little bit of trimming and futzing to get just right, but are pretty good for prototypes. No noticeable change in tone or volume on either...their contact areas are actually pretty small. I leave both of mine on all of the time...except for when I play anything swingy that uses the heel of the picking hand for additonal dampening/muting. I also use an armrest and the combination of the two gets my arm and hand up into a nicely comfortable (for me) position off of the strings. I typically rest my heel just past the bridge, but that puts my pick/fingers back behind the sweet spot. This remedies that situation nicely. Might not be for everyone, but I really do like it. I was a little leery when it was initially described as a black plastic, but I was pleasantly surprised with how it looks. Like John D mentioned...it looks very much like ebony that has been hit with very fine steel wool. Hope he gets into production with it, is well worth a try.

Tony