Thread: NAD Bugera AC60

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default NAD Bugera AC60

I’ve been looking for a small acoustic amp since letting go of the Laney. Pulled the trigger on this Bugera for around 2 bills shipped from MF. I’ve only had it a few days, but here are my impressions so far.

The two channel set up and light weight are attractive for someone looking for a solo singer-player solution. The footprint is smaller than I expected. Mic channel has phantom power. The onboard FX are decent; the different settings really offer different sounds. The FX loop is a plus in my book. DI out is a plus as well. Master level on the FX covers both channels but seems to need to hit around 3 o’clock before really being noticeable on Ch. 1. Nice tone, and reasonably tweakable with the clip, color, and eq settings. The volume is a little underwhelming; I get than an 8” speaker is only going to move so much air, but even so, I expect a bit more volume out of 30 watts a channel.

Keeper for the light weight and decent tone in practice or monitor settings. I don’t know it’s got the volume for live work beyond small, quiet settings unless mic’d or otherwise feeding the board.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

2. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Default Re: NAD Bugera AC60

Links? never heard of them.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Can you feed the PA with the DI out?

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Yes, you can use the amp as a monitor and feed a pa with the xlr out.

So, some new appreciations. First, I used it as part of an acoustic guitar/mando duo (mando and backup vocals) on a Halloween parade float. Both channels worked great and sounded pretty awesome. The light weight was a huge plus. FWIW, power was the truck's 12vdc going to an inverter into the amp thru some long outdoor extension chords. Worked like a champ.

The "volume issue" actually isn't. No issue with the Baggs Radius on the F5; the piezo pickup on my Rigel must be super high impedance. Once I run it thru the Baggs Venue DI in the chain, the amp really shines. Any misgivings I might have had are gone.

So far not really running the effects so much beyond a subtle reverb or a rare low level delay+chorus. They seen fine and there is always the fx loop if I really have a need.

I like to learn from accessing the Product's owner's manual PDF , more than seeing some guy in a video..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...s/AC60/p/P0B4P

Bugera is a line of amps by Behringer.

They offer very good value and generally perform well. Better known in Europe than in the US, I suspect.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...s/AC60/p/P0B4P

Bugera is a line of amps by Behringer.

They offer very good value and generally perform well. Better known in Europe than in the US, I suspect.
    I think they are fairly well known for electric guitar amps in the US. I didn't know they made acoustic amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    I think they are fairly well known for electric guitar amps in the US. I didn't know they made acoustic amps.
    Their heads seem to enjoy a niche in the market, for sure. The AC 60 is clearly modeled after another famous European brand's amp. I have no delusions that they share the same quality. That said, for the price, features, and performance I feel you're going to be hard pressed to find a better solution for the solo singer/player.

Nice to find this thread. I'll be looking for a simple, light, portable amp to play through on gigs with a quiet trio. This one might fill the bill. Normally I've played through my own mic (AKG C391) into a house system, but in this group each player brings his own amp. So I'm wondering if anyone here has used the AC60 with a condenser mic, and how that worked out. Trying to avoid going back to a contact mic.

No need for high volume, and no drummer to compete with. Any impressions would be welcome.

Blog Entries

They are fine with condensers. They supply a full +48v phantom power (some amps only supply 12, 18 or 24v which may be OK with some mics, but not with others).
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Thanks, AS. Yes, I know the amp supplies phantom power. Was wondering what people can tell me about the sound quality, EQ range, etc., and any problems they've run into. Meanwhile, my local music store has the Mackie SRM 150, a very compact self-contained PA (with 150 watts into a 5" speaker!) that may work for me. Will go in and check it out. Has anyone here used that unit?

Blog Entries

I don't own one, but I know someone who does and I have had a 'play around' on it and I'd say it is perfectly adequate. The EQ is OK (2-band on the mic input) and (to me) it sounded fine both though a transducer and a condenser mic (I used one of my Audio Technica AE5100's, which does not ever need much 'tweaking' anyway). It certainly sounded better in that role than an SRM150 and has a good range of inputs, outputs and FX patches. Getting it up as high as possible off the floor makes a big difference to the room coverage... FWIW, my own 'compact' setup is a QSC K8 + the Touchmix 8.... that setup is a lot more potent, flexible (and better sounding), but it also costs a heck of a lot more...the smaller Fishman Loudboxes are always worth looking at too where portability is a criteria.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

17. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Curious.. Ship with a cover? what does it weigh? [Comparing with my Roland AC 60 ]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture