Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge cover

Exclamation Bridge cover

Anyone need a bridge cover for their mando? I have designed one and would like some feedback. Thanks...Willy HutcH.

Default Re: Bridge cover

Could you post a photo of it.

Are you talking about a tailpiece cover? I lost my gold Gibson one.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

No, it's not a tail piece. It's a simple, small cover that fits on the bridge, covering the strings, so the hand or wrist stays off of the strings, so there is no interference from the hand. Thanks.....Willy HutcH.

Working on the photo.

Blog Entries

Look in the archives at my Uncle Gene Johnson's feb 18th 24 Loar! Gene's dad made him one in the 70's and its been on ever since. Neat #75305 http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/75305

I wouldn't let anything near my mandos that could possibly move the bridge. I think if a manufacturer added something like this the first thing folks would do is remove it.

8. The following members say thank you to PiginaPen for this post:

Tobin 

Interesting idea. Hard to tell from the photos of the Loar what it is made of.
    It would at least keep my nasty green grunk from clogging up the strings down there. (though Nickel Bronze strings seem to help a lot with that for my chemistry).

Better photos please!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Beautiful. The cover looks like a piece of high quality steel?..maybe. Anyway,you're uncle's dad must have been an engineer to come up with that design. Mine is a simple on-off device, it takes about 1\2 second to put on or remove. I believe in this idea so much, that I filed for a patent on it. Thank you for the interest. This is my first time on this blog, I picked up my mando a couple of months ago. I saw a comment about someone wanting to find a cover, including myself...as a beginner, trying to stay off of the bridge, I made one. I will get a pic. on here as soon as I can. Thanks..Willy HutcH.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    It would at least keep my nasty green grunk from clogging up the strings down there.
    Dang, boy...where do you keep your hand?...never mind...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PiginaPen View Post
    I wouldn't let anything near my mandos that could possibly move the bridge. I think if a manufacturer added something like this the first thing folks would do is remove it.
    His doesn't move bridge its connected to the saddle posts,under the saddle, heavy duty but still light, not sure what he used I think thin stainless? It didn't hurt his playing all through Cliff Waldron and the New Shades of Grass,II Generation, JD Crowe and the New South, David Bromberg Quartet and session work and then when he used it for the beginning of Diamond Rio-He's never had an issue with that design! I've played her a bunch and nothing wrong about it, kinda Kool

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Dang, boy...where do you keep your hand?...never mind...
    LOL well ya know...
    Before this thread gets shut down I will end that part of the conversation!

It does seem like for whatever reason no matter how much I wash (or dont wash) before playing, phosphor bronze and I just have that reaction. It builds up on the strings behind the bridge and on the fretboard. Pretty gross I agree. Wanna borrow my mando?
    The nickel has not demonstrated the same effect at all so far in the couple sets I have tried. Have a new set of them on right now. Accidentally ordered the regular mediums instead of the Custom medium. doh!

Back on topic, I'll look forward to seeing your design Willy!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Hmmm...

Drew, some of us are just "caustic"! I used to have the same kind of problems, I can sweat if a see a match! I guess that means my sweat glands work just fine but, it's rough on strings!

I don't seem to have the problem with it used to but, it's still not good.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

15. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Interesting idea. It may fare better on mandolin than electric guitar. Palm muting is a huge part of electric playing, so back in the day when Fender put the ashtray covers on, most players ditched them immediately.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Thanks for the input,. I didn't think the bridge could be moved that easily. This device isn't meant to be a rest, but more of a cover so you don't hit the bridge, especially while picking. Thanks. Willy HutcH.

I wouldn't remove it at least until I had a problem with it, then again I add pic guards if the mandolin doesn't have them. I for one might be interested, if I could see a picture.

Blog Entries

I got used to playing with a "bridge cover", more like a bridge guard, on my resonator. It improved my right hand position and I ended up wondering if something similar could be done on all mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3359[1].jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	158401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3356[1].jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	158402

21. The following members say thank you to Willy HutcH for this post:

No offense but I don't see the need for something like this.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denny Gies For This Useful Post:

<Removed by Moderator. Posting Guidelines violation>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-22-2017 at 7:56am.

None taken...that's what this site is for..thanks.

Some people just use an old sock top on their picking hand (arm) to keep from tarnishing the strings, and then some people wipe them down while they are playing....I myself do not see much use for this product but to each his own...

Good luck with it anyway...Willie

For smaller folks it is sometimes hard to reach the sweet spot, this would help and make it easier. I spent a lot of time reducing mass on my saddle to improve tone and while I would like to be able to rest my hand there, I would be hesitant to add more mass than I was able to remove in the first place.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I also wouldn't want to add anything that adds mass to the bridge or top. I would think that anything added to the bridge would act kind of like a mute to some degree. Seems unnecessary to me.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I also wouldn't want to add anything that adds mass to the bridge or top. I would think that anything added to the bridge would act kind of like a mute to some degree. Seems unnecessary to me.
    Yup, any pressure from the hand to the bridge or top can potentially dampen the sound. That's why finger rests (pick guards) are usually connected only to the side and/or neck, and arm rests are clamped only to the sides. And it's precisely why I learned to use it as a guide to get my hand off the bridge. I used to rust out the strings just behind the bridge where my palm would rest, and aside from the rusting issue, it was severely limiting my right hand movement to "anchor" it like that. It's a much better idea to just learn to play without touching the bridge at all.

But I always like to see innovations and devices that can help people. This bridge cover can get a person's hands off the strings and bridge top, but unfortunately it just transfers that force into the bridge posts. So it's still dampening the top.

By the way, this thread is a big sales spiel and might end up getting locked. My advice to the OP: post it in the classifieds if you are trying to sell your products. The forum guidelines disallow this sort of thing.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!