Thread: Another Guitar Conversion Thread

Default Another Guitar Conversion Thread

I've read through most of the guitar conversion threads on the Cafe, but I have some questions that aren't yet answered. So here goes.

There are a couple of threads about converting loar archtops to mandocello and citterns, so I know that is being done. I'm interested in converting one to OM. From what I've read the 24.75" scale may be less than ideal for OM, and I suspect it may a bit of a stretch for my hands to play fiddle tunes in mandolin-style fingerings. But what if you shorten the scale? Not just with a capo, but with a new shorter neck. If my math is right a 23.25 scale neck with a body joint at the 14th fret should keep the bridge within 1/4" of its original position over the body with a 1 1/2" shorter and more comfortable scale. This would also be an opportunity to correct the shallow neck angle typical of some of these Loar archtops.

Questions: Is a 16" archtop body too big for an octave mandolin? Would it just look odd with such a short neck on a big body? It shouldn't be more out of proportion than a 12-fret dreadnought. I can pull the old neck and install the new one, but i'm not set up to make a neck. How much would it cost to get an neck made, the joint fit, and drilled for tuners "in the white"? Or is this a less than feasible project from a cost point of view.

I've got my eye on an lh-700 with killer woods as a donor body. All solid and carved woods.

Default Re: Another Guitar Conversion Thread

I think it would work fine, capo or no capo.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I have done that sort of mod many times but not with archtops.
    Yes it might look a little unbalanced but it should play fine,however from my experience of removing a glued neck joint, it is really differcult not to leave some damage.
    I am sure there are many top guys who can refinish or touch up any lacquer damage.
    In my case I have had to paint the whole sides or use a sunburst effect to hide the damages caused by removing the neck.
    I don't have a fully kitted workshop or many of the machines a pro might use but to make a new neck and fit it would take me at least three days, plus materials, although it might take me three days just to make and fit the dovetail!
    I would be very interested to find out how much a skilled luthier would charge to complete your proposed project.....

I think that's going to cost more than the end result will be worth, if you have a luthier do it. I'm assuming some finish touch-up would be involved too.

If it were me, I'd make a more conventional conversion to mandocello, and then capo up when you want to get into OM range. Two instruments in one. To reduce the capo shift, you could do what I used to do with a mandola and tune the 'cello DAEB, which gives you the top three strings commonly used for fiddle tunes (DAE) on the bottom, plus an easy reach to the B note on top. Custom string gauges needed for that, obviously. Then you'd only have to capo at fret 5 and you're in OM range.

If you need to sell it later on, this would let you sell it as a decent 'cello conversion instead of a rather odd OM conversion.

5. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

fox 

You are probably right, but those smaller GBOMs seem like they would be so much more comfortable to play. Like 000 guitar. I'm looking for a less expensive way in to a GBOM, but I suspect you are right - it would be more expensive to get out. Still, it might work.

Here's a Gibson Style 0 Artist Guitar that was converted to an octave mandolin with a 22 1/2" scale. Plays and sounds great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	158878  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gweetarpicker For This Useful Post:

Explorerfox 

That is SLICK! I love Style O's anyway, and having a mando version is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gweetarpicker View Post
    Here's a Gibson Style 0 Artist Guitar that was converted to an octave mandolin with a 22 1/2" scale. Plays and sounds great.
    wow what a beauty