Thread: good working mandolin

Default good working mandolin

I'm in the market for good gigging mandolin. Have a Gibson Steffey that sounds great but I don't want to take out to get banged up. Would like to find something that has good tone am wondering if folks have experience or counsel to share on Eastman vs. Loar vs. Kentucky. Any thoughts on the best mandolin under $2k? Thanks

===========

Default Re: good working mandolin

For under 2K you should be able to find TONS of stuff . . . and tons of opinions too.

Get ready for the ride.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by schlaigs View Post
    I'm in the market for good gigging mandolin. Have a Gibson Steffey that sounds great but I don't want to take out to get banged up. Would like to find something that has good tone am wondering if folks have experience or counsel to share on Eastman vs. Loar vs. Kentucky. Any thoughts on the best mandolin under $2k? Thanks
    If you like the Gibson, I'm tempted to recommend a Kentucky. It's gonna be closest in tone and appearance (if you need another F). I love my Eastman 515 but it has a slightly different tone.

If you're spending money on something that's meant to be dinged up, I'd check out something like this: https://themandolinstore.com/product...mandolin-case/

Of all the mandos I played at Gruhn, the Kentucky KM-1000 blew me away the most for a tone-to-dollar ratio.

Or buy used so you don't have the burden of putting the first scratch on it!

I've seen Gibson F9s at dealers in the $2400 range, so prying one from a private party for 2k doesn't seem out of the question.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

there's an f-model summit for sub $2k in the classifieds.

NFI

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Why not play your Gibson thats what they're made for in my opinion! why have something thats not as good I've never understood that concept, I take and play my Gibson's anywhere a handful of old F-7 conversions and newly to me a spectacular 36 F-5 Fern. If ya got em play em!

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I agree with Bluegrasser78
    Get a better case, and take your Gibson with you.
    I take care of my instruments, BUT I play them.
    And if I gig, I take my favorite instruments.
    That is why I have them.
    Otherwise they are just a museum piece.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

Not wishing to start an argument - but what's the point in having a terrific mandolin if you don't take it out ?. I own a Weber "Fern",current UK price £7,695 UK ($9,762 US) & i don't hesitate to take it anywhere,i simply make sure that i look after it & don't place it in any danger. It's either in my hands being played or in it's case.

I do understand not wanting to have your mandolin damaged in any way,but that can happen even in your home if you don't look after it. That's the key point - looking after it. There's guys out there with $25,000 + value mandolins which they play in all sorts of venues,they simply do what myself & others do - look after them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Well stated.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

I'll second the Kentucky KM 1000, for me, it's always a toss up between
    my F9 and KM 1000. They are both tone monsters.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Great replies, and valuable advice all around. Thanks to all

15. The following members say thank you to schlaigs for this post:

Mike Marshall gigs with his Northfield. OK, so he has a $6k+ Artist model, but the entry-level F5S gets rave reviews, and can be sourced used for a little north of $2,000.

I had the good fortune to play an Arnold Cross F-style in a local music store. It's a handcarved instrument by a luthier in Smyrna, Tennessee. Gruhns and Carter Vintage have both sold some for him. Very well made, and every one I've seen has been priced right around $2,000. Here's the one at Carter: https://cartervintage.com/products/a...nt=31486988931

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Very happy with my Muth (Regina, SK).

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by schlaigs View Post
    I just got lucky and got a 2002 F-9 for $1700.00. Guy was asking 2k but took my offer. Little wear mark on the finish, about where a pinkie finger would land. Due at my house tomorrow. There was another one the same place for $2500.00 OBO that looked mint to me. I had a beautiful River F-14 with a Scarlet fire finish. Paid over 7K for it. But I take it anywhere I please. As everyone else said, I use it. I will probably take the Gibson on long trips where there are hotel stays and such, but I jam with the Weber nonetheless. Gibson will get plenty of playing time, just because it's a Gibson.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

You can get a lot of good used mandos for that Weber's, Gibson, Ect. I'm with you on not wanting your favorite expensive mando damaged. I play with 4 other guys who are great but #### happens & I don't have the discipline to watch over my instruments at a gig or practice as I'm a roadie, part time sound guy, mando player, catering guy etc. I'm looking for 300 buck working mando right now so
    I don't damage my 2500 buck mando.
    Lou

I gig with my Gibson 9/10 times now but its always either in my hands or in my case.

Iffy gigs outdoors and unprotected I bring my Eastman MD305 but I agree with those that mentioned the Kentucky models as a fuller and more Gibsonesque tone. Then again, the Eastman was close to 300 bucks. If I'm heading for hazard I don't want to risk a 2000 dollar mando either. The gigs I play generally pay less than 100/man so no hard feelings there on the Eastman stunt double.

My advice for gigging out is do get a second mando BUT use your primary when you can and spend less on the sacrificial mando and put that saved money into its installed piezzo pick up and pre-amp/eq box.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

22. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I gig with my Gibson 9/10 times now but its always either in my hands or in my case.

Iffy gigs outdoors and unprotected I bring my Eastman MD305 but I agree with those that mentioned the Kentucky models as a fuller and more Gibsonesque tone. Then again, the Eastman was close to 300 bucks. If I'm heading for hazard I don't want to risk a 2000 dollar mando either. The gigs I play generally pay less than 100/man so no hard feelings there on the Eastman stunt double.

My advice for gigging out is do get a second mando BUT use your primary when you can and spend less on the sacrificial mando and put that saved money into its installed piezzo pick up and pre-amp/eq box.
    I can finally get one of those case stickers that reads, "My other mandolin is a Gibson."
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

24. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Astro 

From Ron McMillan - "Mike Marshall gigs with his Northfield.." So do several other top mandolin players Ron - Adam Steffey & Emory lester to name but 2 - however. The folk they play to go to listen to them,regardless of what they're playing. When you're as well know as those guys,a recital on comb & paper would draw a full audience !. But - Mike Marshall aslo gigs with his Lloyd Loar mandolin housed in the well known mega-buck ''Travelite'' case. MM does exactly what i do,& would still do if i owned a Lloyd Loar mandolin - take it out to play,but take care of it !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Bill Monroe TOURED with his Loar! In a pretty basic weight case for sixty odd years.
    Come on, it's a mandolin not an infant, play it, teach it how to play well with others. If it doesn't go out it will never learn social graces!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Again - thanks all. I'm now leaning toward using the Gibson. I sure haven't seen an F9 for under $2k in a long time. Anyone have experience with Ratliff's? Haven't tried a Northfield but will if I can, and also will look for a Kentucky; never had the opportunity but will look for it.

Not to add to the dogpile here, but I would absolutely gig with the best mandolin I have. It seems rather silly to own a great mandolin and then not play it in the places where you want to sound your best. If you're worried about damage, buy instrument insurance. That's what insurance is for, and will cover your losses if "stuff" happens.

Of course, if you're just itching for another mandolin, then justify it however you wish. We understand that too. Take it as a backup mandolin just in case. But if you're not playing your good mandolin for the crowds, then why the heck would you want to keep it?
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

I have an A and an F Ratliff, both 'CountryBoys'. Both sound great, the other models just have more decoration.

Your taste may vary.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A