Thread: Banjo mandolin

Default Banjo mandolin

Every now and then I look to see if there are any banjo mandolins for sale. What is the most appropriate category in the classifieds to look? Under mandolins or under banjos? I'm not sure if I want to buy one, but I like to look. Just not sure how to find them.

Default Re: Banjo mandolin

Guess I would check both, they come up once in a while and either place would be appropriate.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Considering that it's a mandolin pretending to be a banjo - look under Trumpets !. Seriously - maybe we should look under the instrument that it's supposed to 'sound like' - in this case a banjo. They look more like banjos as well. I'd put Uke-banjos in the same place,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I always look in both sections but unless it says banjo-mandolin or banjolin or something like that in the title of the ad, I don't have any idea by the brand-name of the instrument alone. So it made me wonder, what is a banjo-mandolin? Is it a banjo or a mandolin? I would think it's a mandolin more than a banjo, but what do people trying to sell them think they are?

I want to try to learn to play ragtime and if I can get decent at it and get some other people to play it with me, I may at that time want a banjo-mandolin.

You might also consider a resonator mandolin.

I don't think anyone is currently making new banjolins, but there are a few companies offering resonators that are also appropriate for ragtime.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

From sbhikes - "I would think it's a mandolin more than a banjo,..". It ''could be''' considered both,but i'd categorise them on the sound that they produce. In this case,it was intended to 'sound like' a banjo,not a mandolin. Put 4 strings on it,use a different tuning & it could be a Banjo-uke - again 'banjo sound'. Purely my take on the subject,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    ...I don't think anyone is currently making new banjolins...
    If by "banjolin" you mean a mandolin banjo -- rather than the four-string instrument which is the actual banjolin -- Gold Tone is making new ones.

As to the OP's query, I'd put a "mandolin banjo wanted" classified in both the "mandolin" and "banjo" listings, and see what may develop. I did a quick scan of the two sections, and saw no mandolin banjos for sale; pretty sure I would have recognized an ad for one. On the other hand, mandolin banjos turn up regularly for sale at vintage dealers; Bernunzio, who classifies them in his mandolin section, has six listed currently on his website.

As to whether they are banjos or mandolins, if you classify them by what they sound like, I'd call them banjos. If you classify them by how you play them, I'd call them mandolins. If you classify them by how they're accepted and enjoyed by other musicians, and the audience, I'd call them annoying. (Not really -- cheap shot -- I work in a band with an excellent, and tasteful, mandolin banjo player, and have a couple that I play myself on occasion.)
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have a new Gold Tone Mando Banjo, and I'd like the darn thing better if it didn't make so many mistakes. I just put some lighter strings on it and improved it some. It's mistakes are a bit more quiet.

A resonator mandolin just sounds like a loud mandolin and it's sort of ugly, too. The type I toy with the idea of maybe getting some day looks like a little banjo but it has the four course of strings and is tuned same as a mandolin and is the same size. Like that one on that guy's website called Little Wonder. I'm not ready to buy one now. Maybe not ever. But I think about it sometimes.

Never heard a resonator mandolin that sounded like a mandolin. It's sound is somewhere between a mandolin and a Dobro in my opinion. A subdued metallic sound, not woody at all.

My resonator sounds like a cross between a banjo and a Dobro. It has a very "plunky" tone that gets the banjo vibe without being banjo annoying.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    If by "banjolin" you mean a mandolin banjo -- rather than the four-string instrument which is the actual banjolin -- Gold Tone is making new ones.
    Thanks Allen. I thought Goldtone when I posted but wasn't sure.

Is that an open-back? Certainly the nicest banjolin I've seen so far.

- ---==< V >==--- -

My Gold Tone has a great looking resonator. It's really a nice lookin' instrument.

Upon further investigation I've discovered it is closed-back and uses a larger 11" pot (instead of 8"). Prices for a new one are more than reasonable considering what I've seen some of older, trashed examples going for.

I think it's a mighty fine looking instrument as well...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-front.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	158480

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcomynlvdhmvajt2m4ar.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	158479

- ---==< V >==--- -

There's a ukulele banjo coming up for sale here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-40367266

16. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post: