Thread: Newbie needs DVD/book suggestions

Default Newbie needs DVD/book suggestions

Hello All,

Just purchased my first mando. I am looking for some high quality beginner instructional DVDs and books. My musical interest is in some bluegrass, Sierra Hull and the likes of Chris Thile where anything goes. Nothing Celtic or Classical. Do you have any suggestions on which DVDs and books would be a good start for me?

I will be getting just a few basic lessons from my guitar teacher to get me started. But then I am on my own. Also, I prefer to work with tabs. I greatly appreciate your assistance!

Pam

Default Re: Newbie needs DVD/book suggestions

Hey Pam! "Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin" is a great book for getting started. There is a bit of Celtic and Classical in there but not enough to hurt anything . There are also a lot of tabs and learning resources if you click on the Learn/Listen button here on Cafe's toolbar.. Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Ky Slim; Jun-20-2017 at 3:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Hey Pam! "Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin" is a great book for getting started. There is a bit of Celtic and Classical in there but not enough to hurt anything . There are also a lot of tabs and learning resources if you click on the Learn/Listen button here on Cafe's toolbar.. Good Luck!!
    I just downloaded this book off iTunes. So far it looks pretty good and has audio files imbedded.

Pam, welcome to the cafe' I highly recommend the mandolin workshop DVD by Butch Baldassari.

Hey all. It sort of goes without saying but as with lessons, it really all depends on how deep you're trying to go.

Some say learn the theory and apply, some say listen to fiddle tunes and learn by ear. I agree with both, but maybe the answer is anything that inspires you to play as much as possible. Get any book or DVD. They all say basically the same thing, but it really winds up being exercises we do while time does the teaching. We just have to enjoy the work and trust the process.

I think.

I have tons of stuff on PDF and am happy to share.

I'd also go ahead and mention Mike Marshall's various publications. Don Julin, Pete Martin, jazzmando.com, ...

A book like Don Julin's is a very useful resource, but my experience as a beginner is that listening and - really vital for us newbies learning basic techniques - SEEING is what really helps. So I guess DVDs are often preferable. However these days you get far more material online than on disc. Mandolessons.com is great for learning by ear but also provides notation and tabs . And if you are prepared to spend a bit, I cannot recommend highly enough the courses on Artistworks. I am doing the Classical Mandolin course, but for the OP Mike Marshall's would be the obvious choice. I think you can still get a free sample lesson. Short of finding a real live teacher, to my mind this beats books and indeed DVDs (as you get to submit videos for one to one commentary).
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

+1 on Mike Marshall at Artistworks. The feedback he gives is great, and getting to watch him play and explain so much is way better than any book or DVD.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

ArtistWorks, PegheadNation, Soundslice, all provide excellent online lessons. Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin is an excellent book. You can go far with it alone. The real key to the musical instrument learning curve is to choose a path and pursue your playing goals daily. No matter your schedule or obligations find and take time to play and practice daily. It is a journey well worth the time and effort. Luck ... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I've subscribed to Banjobenclark.com I like his teaching, he breaks things down nicely. I also bought Bradley Laird's Complete learning System package yesterday. http://www.bradleylaird.com/mandou-site/

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Second that. In fact, after playing for 20 some years, I picked up this book and it actually openness up a totally new horizon in my playing by simplifying stuff that I'd never taken the time to master. Everybody needs this as a reference if nothing else. Outstanding.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Oh also, Julin's book has tons of online audio tracks free to access or download.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004