Thread: Using effects with the mandolin

Default Using effects with the mandolin

I understand that a lot of folks only play certain kinds of music, and it would be the height of ignorance for anyone to say others shouldn't make music or play mandolin however they want.

With that said, I sometimes go looking for music on the edge of the norm, just to see how those boundaries are moving or being erased.

I did a recent search after using an octaver to fill in for a bass player. I had previously worked through some lessons on studybass.com, after reading other sources online about some bass players tuning in fifths, so the principles of being an effective bass player weren't a foreign idea.

Anyway, that led to me looking up "effects mandolin," and finding a few intriguing examples.

Those who has considered moving in this direction, I'll be interested in hearing about it!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Using effects with the mandolin

Always interesting to hear new ways of making things sound

Glad to see this! I've recently been experimenting with effects pedals, on both acoustic and electric mandos. I've collected several pedals - compression/sustain, overdrive, octave doubler, and my favorite, a Leslie (recreates the Hammond B-3 sound). When I play my Mandobird through the compression-octave doubler-Leslie, it sounds just like a Hammond organ (though picked). Reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser also produce interesting sounds! If this post is still around, I'll post an mp3 I recorded in the next few days.

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Mullins for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I occasionally use electronics (sparingly) to enhance my otherwise totally acoustic videos (like in this one).
    But it's never meant completely seriously, and normally I like things that really are what they look like, and really are what they sound like. What I play must stand its ground in a session and must not need to involve hauling equipment in order to work.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I was just about to start a thread on using an overdrive with a solidbody.

I'm setting up a board fir my jbovier. Currently I have a soul food on it ... I did try a tubescreamer style and a blues driver. None grabbed me. Are there any tips as to getting a great tone?

Thanks.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I play acoustic mandolin in most performance situations, but in a trio called Good Things, I solely play electric.

Current rig is a J.L. Smith 5-string (with Kent Armstrong mini-bucker) into a Polytune, Xotic SP Compressor and Tech 21 Flyrig 5, straight into the PA. Playing around with adding a BBE Sonic Stomp back in, and would love folks' thoughts on the latter.

For larger gigs, I employ a wonderful Quilter MicroPro, and sometimes add a Voodoo Labs SparkleDrive.

Used to use phasing and chorus, but ditched them awhile ago.

On guitar, as opposed to mandolin, I prefer as few out of amp devices as possible.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

When I installed my JJB pickup, the first thing I did was plug into my effects, in order to test on my amp, and ended up playing around with delay and chorus for a while. Pretty sure I could do a hilarious mando cover of Where the Streets Have No Name.

I use effects for my electric octave:
    Movall Firefly (quite dynamic OD, they say it's a Sweet Honey clone) -> EHX Germanium BigMuff (Fuzz + very "harmless" OD) -> Boss DS 1 (Distortion) -> T-Rex Tonebug Sensewah (Auto-Wah) -> Vox V847 (Wah) -> tc electronic Ditto (Looper)

Very nice stuff for a variety of sounds, though I'm still on the hunt for the "right" overdrive... ;-)
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

11. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

"Very nice stuff for a variety of sounds, though I'm still on the hunt for the "right" overdrive... ;-)"

Nice thing about the Sparkledrive is that it lets you blend the clean and distorted signal in one unit.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Searching for the Sound

It's helpful for me to use a looper to practice with the mandostrat... and why not add some pedals for fun? I have a Rocktron Valve Charger overdrive (very inexpensive, got it used at MusicGoRound) -> Digitech Delay (also inexpensive at MF) -> Malekko Echo (a pro pedal my wife got me) -> TC HoF reverb (also a pro pedal) -> ditto looper.

I need to spend a lot more time figuring everything out, but it's all for fun and personal enjoyment. Doesn't hurt that my brother has "pedal GAS" and owns about 35 pedals .... too bad he lives far away.
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

14. The following members say thank you to mtm for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    "Very nice stuff for a variety of sounds, though I'm still on the hunt for the "right" overdrive... ;-)"

Nice thing about the Sparkledrive is that it lets you blend the clean and distorted signal in one unit.
    The best OD ive heard from my mando is not using a pedal but using an overdriven tube amp I've used a Marshall which sounded great but it was way too loud. So now I'm using a 5 watt VHT Special 6 which is a sweet sounding tube amp that didn't cost much more than some stomp boxes it has great overdriven sound at low volume but is still plenty loud. I run it in stereo along with a Fishman 60 watt loudbox amp and can blend the clean and OD sounds or with A&b switch just use one at time. 90% of the time I'm using just the loudbox but there's a few tunes we do that the OD mando fits in well. I bought the VHT to use for harp amp and tried the mando on it with nods of approval from band mates so I'm sticking with it. I tried tube screamer and some other OD pedal through the Fishmeal but they didn't sound near as good as a low watt overdriven tube amp. I also played through a real old Gibson 5 watt amp I think it was called a Skylark and it sounded great.
    Lou

I'm only now moving in this direction on mando, but I've done a lot of such playing on electric guitar. I only recently started exploring this on mando for a tiny portable rig.

Normally a lot of synth pedals only track up to C5, which means I have to use mandola, tenor guitar or an octave pedal to get much use out of them.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?

I use a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, and a generic chinese digital clone of the MXR M118 analog delay for slapback echo, and at longer settings together with a volume pedal to produce "organ sounds" (strum with the volume turned off and "wind in" the sound).
    Overdrive/distortion is a problem with electric mandolins, because everything is "voiced" for guitars, and doesn't sound too good with the frequency spectrum our instrument puts out. The best I have found, is the Pearl OD5, which hasn't been made since the 80's, but they turn up regularly on Ebay. It is similar in design to the Ibanez TS 808 (tube screamer), though with more gain stages, and, what is nice, a parametric EQ which really helps not to lobotomize yourself at high volumes.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

18. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

My current board set to run in front of the amp. The top row is usually run in front of the amp; the bottom row (except the ABY switch) is in the FX loop and often feeding two amps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 March 2017.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	582.0 KB 
ID:	158406
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

20. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

I ran across a few more clips.

----

Love mandola?

I have a Zoom 9002 for use with my Tokai 'Tele-alike' elec.guitar. I've often considered buying an elec.mandolin (8-stringed) & 'plugging into' my Roland 'Blues-Cube' amp. I've got some really weird self programmed effects on it - i could give a whole new sound to some Bluegrass 'classics'. 'Old Ebeneezer Scrooge' with an in & out ''long phased'' effect could sound - well, weird !,
    A 'Mandocaster' like this belonging to a friend of mine would be nice.
    Ivan

Name:	Tony's Mandocaster 1.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	956.7 KB 
ID:	158470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZOOM 9002 Effects Processor.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	158471
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I have a Zoom 9002 for use with my Tokai 'Tele-alike' elec.guitar. ...I've got some really weird self programmed effects on it....

Name:	ZOOM 9002 Effects Processor.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	158471
    I used my 9002 live for years, putting it on the strap as per its design, and even used the little remote on the guitar. I wore out several of the specialized batteries. In addition to getting use out of its other effects, it was the first pitch-shifter pedal I used.
    ----

Love mandola?

24. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

I bought a rack mount midiverb 2 off ebay.
    Cheap 50 bucks. It has wonderful reverb. As well
    As a plethora of other effects. Made by alesis.
    I think its 80s or 90s technology..
    I only use it with acoustic guitar and mandolin.
    It is what tommy emanuel uses. Best 50 bucks ive
    Spent in awhile.

Explorer - The Zoom 9002 is long defunct as a model,& spare batteries became unavailable shortly after i bought mine,so it's main powered now. It still works very well,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

RMC in bridge piezo (1 per string) > * >RMC poly-drive II, > 3 outputs.. dry from magnetic, piezo thru EQ, in PD2 box,

and a 13pin cable to Roland's guitar pitch to midi synthesizers..

* 8 pin connecting cable from RMC...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mando strat with Auto-wah (bought in Ottawa) and a light delay if memory serves. https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=FLi...&v=fiWvXpIQdKk

For that trad celtic style!