Thread: Ovation Adamas carbon fiber mandolin at NAMM

Default Ovation Adamas carbon fiber mandolin at NAMM

From the JazzMando Facebook feed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	97416

Pricey at $3499 list. I had a huge fixation on Adamas guitars when I was a teen. I got over it. Still, that's pretty cool.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ovation Adamas carbon fiber mandolin at NAMM

I bet the woman in Heart will buy one.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Sure hope that's not rare, endangered Madagascar carbon.

Seriously though, I wonder how it sounds? About 10 years ago I purchased a used Celebrity model to use live and did not like the sound. Even though it would compete with any electric guitar in volume, it just never had the tone I wanted. Sold it, moved on.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

so like $2499 more for a carbon fiber top vs wood? ya, that makes a lot of sense..

I have a ovation mando, but it is for plug-in purposes only.

Destroyer of Mandolins

I'm glad that it's there. I think It means at least they're still producing some Mandolins stateside. It would be pretty much bulletproof, so I like that. I have tried a carbon topped guitar. Not impressed.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I had a New Mad Mix F4 and it was a beauty. That Adamas looks cool, I have an MM68. Still, if I had $3,500 bucks I'd be giving it to Peter Mix, not Ovation...

Even if I had $3,500, why would I want a synthetic mandolin. Wouldn't you much rather have fine wood? I see a lot of used New Mads passing through the classifieds. Synthetic should be cheaper. I guess the technology's not there yet.

I've been playing a couple of American made ovation/Adamas guitars lately. I hate to go against the grain but I love the way they sound going straight through the pre-amp through the board and I love the way they play (I
    Love the acoustic tone too). They're both set up to play about as easily as any of my electrics. I have a bunch of Taylor acoustics (five I think) and I have many years experience with Martins and Gibsons. This my conclusion.

Anyway, I'm watching Chris Thile play the other night (humbling to say the least). He was playing a Gibson. What struck me was how easy his instrument seemed to play. I'm sure some of it was just him but he looks like a small guy. I'm pretty strong and can whip a guitar as well as anyone after 50+ years of playing. I have a Sumi Rose as well as a Weber "River" model. The Weber handles better (the Sumi has a fishman "pick up" bridge that is down all the way) than the Sumi but they both require quite a squeeze to play.

Thus the question in my mind is will the ovation (or Adamas) play easier and sound good going straight to a board. I love a light touch. I've been using mediums.

I'm going to note that the Adamas is their top line, and sounds great.

When people say they've played a low-tier instrument and therefore know what the top of the one is like, it seems a little off.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by opie wan View Post
    I've been playing a couple of American made ovation/Adamas guitars lately. I hate to go against the grain but I love the way they sound going straight through the pre-amp through the board and I love the way they play (I
    Love the acoustic tone too). They're both set up to play about as easily as any of my electrics. I have a bunch of Taylor acoustics (five I think) and I have many years experience with Martins and Gibsons. This my conclusion.

Anyway, I'm watching Chris Thile play the other night (humbling to say the least). He was playing a Gibson. What struck me was how easy his instrument seemed to play. I'm sure some of it was just him but he looks like a small guy. I'm pretty strong and can whip a guitar as well as anyone after 50+ years of playing. I have a Sumi Rose as well as a Weber "River" model. The Weber handles better (the Sumi has a fishman "pick up" bridge that is down all the way) than the Sumi but they both require quite a squeeze to play.

Thus the question in my mind is will the ovation (or Adamas) play easier and sound good going straight to a board. I love a light touch. I've been using mediums.
    All I can say is we've had a number of Ovations go right into the board (with a pre-amp or such provided by the musician) and they sound just fine. Maybe not like a true acoustic, but then again you can add a pedal or two for a little crunch or some other effect which can be fun in moderation.

I played one of those - maybe even that one - at NAMM a few years back.

I'll start by stating I've owned an Ovation 6-string (Celebrity IIRC) and am very familiar with consumer level Ovation gear. I also have met Matt Smith a few times (he was doing Ovation's traveling mando/guitar clinics for a while) and have a pretty good idea about Ovations consumer level mandolins.

That said, the Adamas carbon fiber blew my mind. Notes explode (musically) from the fretboard, play is silky smooth and the playing experience is absolutely remarkable. It is, without a doubt, the best mandolin I've had the pleasure of playing.

Is it worth the money they're asking? If you want one of the most powerful, superb sounding and playing mandolins money can buy, this should be at the top of your list. I'm not in that league, so I have to settle for mere-mortal instruments, but if I ever did have a few extra thousand to spend on a top-shelf mandolin, this would be the one.

I don't tend to gush but I'll make an exception for the Ovation Adamas carbon fiber mandolin. Spectacular instrument.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    I played one of those - maybe even that one - at NAMM a few years back.

I'll start by stating I've owned an Ovation 6-string (Celebrity IIRC) and am very familiar with consumer level Ovation gear. I also have met Matt Smith a few times (he was doing Ovation's traveling mando/guitar clinics for a while) and have a pretty good idea about Ovations consumer level mandolins.

That said, the Adamas carbon fiber blew my mind. Notes explode (musically) from the fretboard, play is silky smooth and the playing experience is absolutely remarkable. It is, without a doubt, the best mandolin I've had the pleasure of playing.

Is it worth the money they're asking? If you want one of the most powerful, superb sounding and playing mandolins money can buy, this should be at the top of your list. I'm not in that league, so I have to settle for mere-mortal instruments, but if I ever did have a few extra thousand to spend on a top-shelf mandolin, this would be the one.

I don't tend to gush but I'll make an exception for the Ovation Adamas carbon fiber mandolin. Spectacular instrument.
    Geez. That read like an Adamas commercial bro. I live in a place where I can't try one out. I guess I should. After all the years of playing guitar I finally got an Adamas acoustic and an Ovation American made acoustic (best 750 I ever spent). I firmly believe these will be my go to instruments for the rest of my years. My Weber River is awesome but it still doesn't play (probably not the best set up) as easy as I'd like. There aren't that many mandolin guys around. Thanks for the input guys!!

Geez. That read like an Adamas commercial bro.
    NFI whatsoever.

It takes a lot to get me excited about something but must admit that this was one of those rare events.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Thanks again. I'm going to try one out. If it's half as good as you say I'll be getting one.

Anyway, I'm watching Chris Thile play the other night (humbling to say the least). He was playing a Gibson. What struck me was how easy his instrument seemed to play. I'm sure some of it was just him but he looks like a small guy.
    Chris is about 5'10", pretty average-sized I'd say. He always looked like a giant next to Sean and Sara though.