Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eastman MD415-GD opinions

Default Re: Eastman MD415-GD opinions

Glad it seems to be working out. I don’t understand each materials cure requirements, but some free UV (without getting hot) I hear is helpful.

2. The following members say thank you to Jwblanton for this post:

Ive picked up a md415BK (black top) about 9 months ago. I typically play my Gibson or custom Parsons mandolin, but has always wanted a black top. I came close to buying a Weber Madison a few years ago, but didn't really like the sound and projection of it. So when I saw the gold and black top Eastman I had to give them a shot. I use to play an Eastman when they first came into USA. Matter of fact I was told I have one of the first 100 to hit US soil. I played and showed that mandolin off....it had a sound and look (high grade woods) that rivaled 10K + mandolins on the market. With that Eastman I probably helped them sell a bunch of mandos....we play a lot around the Southeast. Ok...back the Md415BK. Like what someone stated earlier, there are good ones and then there are some incredible ones. After I played the first note at music store, I knew the one I got was going to be one of those incredible ones. it has opened up beautifully and I did adjust (do my own setup) after about a week. the mahogany adds a complex tone that not only cuts like a knife but projects a tone that stirs the sole of anyone listening. When I take it to play gigs, I get more complements on it sound than any of the other high end mandolins I play. I actually have to hold back most of the time, so I don't over power the rest of the group. I think Eastman has hit a homerun with the 415 series. Between the spruce, mahogany and maple neck...Eastman has created a loud but tuneful mandolin that is at home playing bluegrass, blues, jazz and even celtic. I will testify though, I have picked up other MD415 at multiple music stores (approx. 30 or so) and all are not created equal. I advise playing first before buying.....Good luck.

HighPoint mando

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Hey, I hope to see it again at the Aussie bakery-Jam!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I bought a 415GD about 6 weeks ago. It was my upgrade from my "let's try a mandolin" beginner. Since buying the 415 I've sold a couple more guitars and invested in a MD505e and and MDO305 octave. That's how much I've taken to the 415. When I was in the store trying different models, I asked the salesman to play each of 4 or 5 different models, including MD315 and 305 and a few others under $1000. The MD415GD won my blind tone test hands down.