Thread: Just another newbie

Default Just another newbie

A year ago at the age of 42, I decided to learn to play the mandolin. One Rogue mandolin and The Complete Mandolin Method book purchased from eBay and I was on my way. Fortunately, I found the mandolin cafe. One frustrating moment led to one thread on here and lots of encouragement from members. Fast forward to today. FedEx just delivered to my house The Loar 590 mandolin that was listed in the classifieds. I'm loving it. I was just wondering how many of you still have the first mandolin you ever bought? I was thinking of donating my Rogue to a young kid that wants to learn but can't afford one. But at this moment, I'm also feeling sentimental about my first.

Default Re: Just another newbie

When I started playing guitar 25 years ago, I heard everybody say, "Keep your first one!" and I said, "OK!!!" Then I sold it.

Sure, I'd love to have that first one back, but there are also about 50 others I'd like back. Gift the mando to the kid. You'll be glad you did.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

3. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

gtani7 

Loan the mandolin to the kid. He can play it until he buys his "first" then return yours to you. Both will have their first.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

gtani7 

You're absolutely right. Who knows, maybe next year I'll upgrade again.

Still own a Harmony I bought in 1973. It's out and I pick a tune on it periodically.
    Play em like you know em!

Still have my first - The Loar LM 220. I will loan it out but not sell it.

My first mandolin was an Eastman MD 505. It's quality was good enough to get me hooked, but nowhere near as good as my Silverangel.

Now my 199.00 Michael Kelly holds way more attachment for me because I did a bunch of work on it that improved it greatly. Fret level and setup, bone nut, smoothing out the f holes, doing a speed neck and making an arm rest. Everyone needs a beater.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I think you should keep your "first one" and buy the young lad a mandolin. You will be a better man for it. Give the gift of music.
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

===========

My first mandolin was a thick-bodied Santa Rosa - I don't miss it . . . but I pretty much miss all the rest that passed through my hands.

For me, getting rid of ANY instrument is painful at the moment . . . but in most cases, the pain is gone is less than 5 minutes.

I say give it to the kid. I don't think hanging on to an instrument you'll not play is worth anything to anyone. If the kid will learn to play, then why not. You might tell them that you're going to check on their progress from time to time, and if they're not practicing, then it comes back to you. Otherwise, let it go

===========

I think Mandoplumb and Al have the right idea - let the kid have it to learn . . . but if he quickly loses interest, or upgrades, it comes back to you.

Gave my first to a missionary to Canada, sold second and third, loaned fourth out to five people( 2 bought mandos of their own) then donated it to the lending library of the California Bluegrass Association. Have 4 now that will be lifelong friends. Godin A-8 used every Sunday in our worship service. A Weber Gallatin f-style and an M-style BoatPaddle, gifts from my wife. And now my father-in-laws Mayflower.

that 590 singing well for ya, stacy? as long as it plays the best it will allow (meaning, it has at least decent playability), do pass that rogue on - i did that with mine, after giving it a real good setup. that's the most important key thing for any instrument, playability.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

The Loar 590 is awesome. It's definitely a keeper. Not quite a week with it and I've almost completely forgot about the Rogue. I'm thinking that passing the Rogue along is best. I'll consider the new mandolin my official first.

Bought my first mandolin in 1970 for £8.50 (£8-10s-0d back then) - a bowl-back with original case - persuaded them to knock £1-10s off because it didn't have a full set of strings! It still hangs in the hall ang gathers dust. Apart ftom that, I still have every mandolin I ever bought bar one - that I loaned someone and lost touch with them.

Can't say the same for guitars. I can remember three of those that I no longer have but only wish I'd kept my old Yamaha FG180 with a red label.

My first was a 1970s Suzuki bowlback that, 20 years later, had a warped neck and a crack on the face. I donated it to a theater company for a prop. I'd say pass on the rogue to a new player... I will admit to not being particularly sentimental, though.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I still have my first mandolin! I have had it for 6 whole days now. ;-p
    I probably bought an instrument a bit better than an entry level model to try to avoid the desire to trade up but I know that while the intention was good it likely won't work.

20. The following members say thank you to ivanthetrble for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    I probably bought an instrument a bit better than an entry level model to try to avoid the desire to trade up but I know that while the intention was good it likely won't work.
    As I knew I’d likely stick with it, I spent over $700 on my first mandolin (which I still have) in order to avoid this very thing. Didn’t work. In addition to what’s in my sig, I’m still waiting on Elderly to ship that Kentucky KM-606. I’ve been playing a whopping two years.

Searching for the Sound

I was so happy to see my first mandolin, a Savannah, go out the door (an ill informed purchase, made before finding the Cafe). Not something I would keep for any reason at all .... I've been quite good at keeping MAS in check ....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

My first was a 'teens Gibson A-1 I found in my grandfather's attic; apparently it belonged to his second wife Alice Reynolds, a librarian and musician, since we also found a B&J Victoria bowl-back and a no-name gut-strung banjo stashed away. I still have the bowl-back, and the banjo, but was forced to trade the Gibson in on a Gibson F-2. Back in the '70's, Eldon Stutzman here in Rochester wouldn't sell you a Gibson mandolin unless he got one in trade; I wanted the F-2, so the A-1 had to go to Eldon. He'd already repaired it where a prior owner had repaired a top crack with adhesive tape, then left it in the attic to bake for 40-50 years. Of course the finish was pretty compromised, but I learned my way around mandolin on that ol' A-1. Wonder where it is today (if anywhere)...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Loan the mandolin to the kid...
    My first mandolin, a $190 Carlo Robelli cheapie from Sam Ash, is my designated "travel-without-a-worry" instrument. The airlines refuse to damage it.

My first guitar, a '63 Kay parlor-size (strung w/ electrics to keep it from collapsing), has been loaned out maybe 5 times for a total of 6 or 8 years. Some of the kids didn't learn much, while others became surprisingly good musicians.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson