Thread: Swapping Strings

Default Swapping Strings

I've usually play D'Addario J-74s (or what once were J-74s), but recently discovered that I like the A string better at .16 than .15 (swapped it out from a set of J-75s). If I wanted to keep doing this, is there a cheap way to do it? Besides burning two sets of strings every time I restring?

I'm suspicious the nut is slotted too low on the A string, and that's what's causing the playability issues that makes me prefer the bigger string, but I'll deal with that down the road. Thanks!

Default Re: Swapping Strings

I don't believe that D'Addario offers a set like you want. You can, of course, just order individual strings to replace the A course with each full set you buy. Or you could switch to another brand like GHS A270s which already come with that heavier A string. Or you could try the D'Addario EJ75 or EXP75CM, but they will have heaver E strings.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Jeez I feel dumb, never actually bought strings direct from D'Addario before, didn't know they even offered the singles. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

If you want to stay with packaged sets for a cost savings, I'd second Tobin's recommendation to look at GHS strings. I think all the medium sets come with .016 A's.

FWIW, I use the GHS Silk and Bronze set, partly because I like tone (just a wee bit "warmer" on the wound strings than J74's), but also because the tension on .016 A's is more evenly matched with the other strings. I've never understood why D'Addario uses a .015 there.

I buy 016's bulk think a dozen in pack. Not D'Addario but a steel string is a steel string. Probably all made by same co.

I don't know why they use a .15 either! It's bothered me for a while. I'd love to be able to buy a single pack of strings, but I just prefer the tone of D'Addarios on my Kimble.

You might check Mapes. Their primary business is piano strings but they also do other instruments. They say their strings are "Cured With Appalachian Moonshine" which, I think, is the their term for the coating they put on them. On their web site, they allow you to mix sizes and they're only $5.00 a set.

I have a couple of sets of Mapes medium strings and I'm about to try them out by putting a set on my Breedlove Legacy tonight. Last weekend, couple of guys at a jam session said they've tried them and thought they were pretty good. We'll see.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

8. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

GHS A270 have the .016" A strings,all the others are as per EJ74's. IMO,the A270's are excellent,although the 'A' strings didn't suit my Weber at all. A270's sound superb on my Ellis & i'll stick with them for that instrument,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Second the Mapes. I received 4 sets of their equivalent to the exp74cm. Gonna give em a try next string change. Their customer service was flawless. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

11. The following members say thank you to Lane Pryce for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    GHS A270 have the .016" A strings,all the others are as per EJ74's.....
    Ivan
    Nope. All the GHS "Light" strings have .015" A strings, but "medium light", "medium", and "Regular" sized strings all have .016" A strings.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Strings and Beyond and some other sites sell individual strings out of both the 74 and 75 sets. Drawback there would be you pile up a bunch of 0.15s you don't want. Maybe could sell them on the classifieds if you had a bunch.

I always keep extra A and E's on hand of the 75 set and will sometimes change those out and leave the G and D on between full string changes.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

The Mapes string sets are 11.5, 16, 26 and 40. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Nope. All the GHS "Light" strings have .015" A strings, but "medium light", "medium", and "Regular" sized strings all have .016" A strings.
    I'm pretty sure Ivan meant that the E, D, and G courses are the same gauges on the GHS A270's and the D'Addario EJ74's.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

D'Addario Exp74CM. 11.5, 16, 26, 40

If you don't like coated, then get the phosphor bronze ones, or try out the nickel bronze. Same custom sizes, 11.5-40
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Another newbie here: I've been using Fender mandolin strings lately (mainly due to having very little choice here in Hong Kong) and found them to be excellent. The 2060L phosphor bronze so-called light set has 11,16,26,40 gauges, so is actually closer to medium sets from most other makers. I don't see much mention of Fender strings in these forums but they have good tone and last well -
    definitely worth a try if you can find them.

18. The following members say thank you to mikeschmidt for this post:

From Philpool - "Nope. All the GHS "Light" strings have .015" A strings,...". Who mentioned 'light' strings ??. I mentioned GHS A270's because they have a .016" A string. The G/D & E strings are the same gauges as EJ74's as i also mentioned.

My original post : "GHS A270's have the .016" A strings,all the others are as per EJ74's."
    GHS 'Light' strings are A250's.

EJ74's :- G = .040" / D = .026" / A = .015" / E = .011"

GHS A270's :- G = .040" / D = .026" / A = .016" / E = .011" I can't be any more clear that that. I've posted the same info.more times that i care to remember without being misread,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Siminoff has a set with a 16 A string. You may want to try those.

+1 for GHS Strings. I use A270 or LSB250 (silk and bronze) sets.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

another GHS fan, I am now using their new (N270) pure nickel and like them a lot.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I have a couple of sets of Mapes medium strings and I'm about to try them out by putting a set on my Breedlove Legacy tonight. Last weekend, couple of guys at a jam session said they've tried them and thought they were pretty good. We'll see.
    I like the price ($5.00) but I'm not real crazy about the strings. On scale of 1-10, I'd give them a 6. They don't seem to have the punch I want. And to me, the A and E strings sound a little "tinny," for lack of a better term. They might be marginally acceptable but I've already put a set of Gibson Sam Bush back on the Breedlove.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.