Thread: Kudos to the Cafe!

Default Kudos to the Cafe!

More times than not when I visit the Cafe I go straight to the forums. Why there's nothing wrong with that, last night while relaxing in my favorite real tree camo lounge chair I thought to myself....you know🙄, I need a good read. Thumbing through the net I just decided to click on the Cafe (got it save in my favorites) and instead of clicking on the forums I just went to opening different things I'd never opened before. It's AMAZING how much good information is on this site! I know reading alone won't make me a better mandolin player, but several things I read last night sure inspires me to work harder to be better than I was the day before. What a great site!!! Kudos Mandolin Cafe!

Payton

Default Re: Kudos to the Cafe!

I spent all evening yesterday combing through the tabs section looking for new songs to play. There is a lifetime of material to learn just right there.

Scott and the moderators have created an atmosphere of family and friendship. All it takes is a few trips to other forums to see the difference, respect.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

One of the other things I noticed is when someone new post their first post. Most the time it starts off with who they are and a little background about themselves and what mandolin they play. It doesn't matter if they're playing a cheap beater garage sale mandolin or one that's a top shelf custom. Several folks are going to make them feel welcome. That's good because if this site is all about promoting the mandolin, then everyone has to start somewhere. My hats off to those of you that make folks feel welcome. You never know but that mandolin they just bought or someone gave them, and they joined the site to learn something about playing it, may just be thing to help them get through some bad times in their life.

Payton

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Payton For This Useful Post:

I don't do Facebook or any social media because of all the garbage on them. Moderators here do a GREAT job of keeping that stuff off. Don't need the other SM cause mandolins are what's important anyway.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I'm also social media averse. I just pick a select few good forums to hang out on, and that's good enough for me! It's always kind of frustrating when I ask someone in real life for their e-mail address, and they say "You can just contact me through Facebook, and I'll "friend" you there." Then I have to explain all the reasons I refuse to sign up, and I eventually get their email addresses, but not after they make me feel like an utter anomaly. LOL

So, yes, I echo the thanks and kudos to Scott and the moderators for this fine place to chill out in, and where I learn so much.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

Great to read that there are others who also shun the hugely popular social media sites. The Cafe is the place to be, and we cover the world. Keep it going, all of you.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

12. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Still the best site on the web, bar none.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Still the best site on the web, bar none.
    I agree, I'm not a facebooker, although there are some good things on there such as the vintage musical instrument case site! And a good way to stay in contact with friends, The cafe here is the best. Kudos for sure

Sometimes things can get a bit 'antsy' - but - respect for the points of view of others is still there,even if they are wrong !!.

SERIOUSLY - the best site on the web - period !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I agree, there is a lot to be learned on this site but if and when you post a comment be real careful with the way you phrase your words, some people read what they want to in some of the posts and get all irate about nothing and all hell will break loose and a moderator will have to put a stop to it.....I am starting to do more reading and less posting...starting right now...

Willie

It helps a lot that most folks use their real names here. If you wouldn't post something over your name it's best not to post it at all in my experience - and I think that accounts for a big part of the general civility here at the Cafe.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    It helps a lot that most folks use their real names here. If you wouldn't post something over your name it's best not to post it at all in my experience - and I think that accounts for a big part of the general civility here at the Cafe.
    That does make a difference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Sometimes things can get a bit 'antsy' - but - respect for the points of view of others is still there,even if they are wrong !!.

SERIOUSLY - the best site on the web - period !,
    Ivan
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I agree, there is a lot to be learned on this site but if and when you post a comment be real careful with the way you phrase your words, some people read what they want to in some of the posts and get all irate about nothing and all hell will break loose and a moderator will have to put a stop to it.....I am starting to do more reading and less posting...starting right now...

Willie
    An educational tip on internet use from Thumper the Rabbit.

I really don't feel like I have to walk on pens and needles here. Sometime back there was a thread and I posted something that is my spiritual believe and received a very polite private response concerning the policies of posting on the Cafe. I didn't even feel like I got my wrist slapped. It was just a friendly reminder to make sure I read and understand the policy. I think the main thing for me is I'm here to learn and sometimes share my limited experiences, and talk mandolins. I'm here to lose stress. Not create it.

Payton

21. The following members say thank you to Payton for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree, ya have to watch what ya say, I said something about the Gibson wood raid and that was brought to my attention, private opinions watch out and most everybody knows who I am with my handle bluegrasser78-Billy Smith or Will

Scott and, all his support crew work like field hands to keep this place "pleasant" I have overstepped the realm of "decorum" and have been reminded of that, all admonishment has been justly served.
    I don't think most social media is particularly interesting. FB leaves me wishing I had paint to watch dry. The café? Subjects I find interesting people who understand what's being discussed and, for the most part, all get along.
    This site is one of two places where the conversation stays informative and pleasant.
    Happy to swim in this pool!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

24. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post: