Thread: Visiting Cornwall, Ireland, snd Scotland in Oct-Nov 2017

Default Visiting Cornwall, Ireland, snd Scotland in Oct-Nov 2017

Hi everyone in the UK and others who have have made similar journeys.

I am visiting there later this year. I am doing a grand circle route visiting extended family, places to play music and hopefully some menbers of the mandolin cafe en route.

Any suggestions where to go in Ireland and Scotland for good music.
    Nic Gellie

Default Re: Visiting Cornwall, Ireland, snd Scotland in Oct-Nov 2017

Hootanannys in Inverness has music every night but be warned, the place can be very busy and loud. They usually have open sessions round a table midweek nights and gigs at the weekend.

http://www.hootanannyinverness.co.uk/hootananny-events/

Here is a similar question about the Isle of Skye from last year:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=skye+sessions
    David A. Gordon

3. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

For Ireland I couldn't put it better than the poet Seamus Heaney did:

'And sometime make the time to drive out west
    Into County Clare, along the Flaggy Shore,
    In September or October ...... '

You could easily spend two weeks in Clare, get to a great session every night, and never repeat yourself. In fact on Sundays you'll manage one at 3 or 6pm and another at 9pm. Lahinch, Enistymon, Doolin, Lisdoonvarna, Ennis, Liscannor, Miltown Malbay - that's before you venture a little further south towards Kilkee or east towards Tulla and Feakle. All within easy distance if you base yourself in mid west Clare.

Different types of sessions all over the place - some big, noisy and very tourist orientated - others smaller and a lot more intimate. But all top class and the opportunity every night of the week, somewhere, to either listen to, or play with, some of Ireland's best musicians - the standard is scarily high but the players are (by and large) welcoming.

Suggest that before you go (if Clare is on your itinerary) listen on-line to Clare FM 'The West Wind' radio programme, especially the Friday night 7pm - 9pm edition presented by Eoin O'Neill. He leads some of the best and most welcoming sessions in Clare and frequently gives 'shouts outs' to other good places to head to.

I'll be back in west Clare this Friday so if you wish I can PM you this year's best week to week list and an idea of what will still be going Oct/November.

And yes, take a bouzouki with you, a quickly moveable capo, and sit opposite Eoin in sessions.

Enjoy the journey.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cliff g For This Useful Post:

Thanks Cliff.

I was thinking of heading out to County Clare. I am also heading to Country Antrim for family reasons. It is just the advice I need for the journey. I will be taking a bouzouki with me together with a capo.

I will copy the text of your message and put it in my notes.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Hootanannys in Inverness has music every night but be warned, the place can be very busy and loud. They usually have open sessions round a table midweek nights and gigs at the weekend.

http://www.hootanannyinverness.co.uk/hootananny-events/

Here is a similar question about the Isle of Skye from last year:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=skye+sessions
    Thanks Dagger,

Do you live close to Inverness and that is the reason for suggesting it? Sounds interesting.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

For Old Time you'll find a lot of curent info on the FOATMAD list including some of our Cornwall sessions. http://foaotmad.org.uk/wordpress/news/?page_id=93

But because we're contrary like that not everything ends up on there so check out the OldTime Music Cornwall site
    http://oldtimemusic-cornwall.weebly.com/

For folk nights keep an eye on the Bodmin Folk Club site http://www.bodminfolk.co.uk
    Then use their links page to connect with the rest of the folk clubs in the county.

In Wadebridge there's always something on possibly best to check it out via this article (then rummage the rest of the site)
    http://www.cornwallmusic.co.uk/2017/...great-success/

I'm a bit all over the place, but as long as I'm down home it would be good to get to do some tunes if possible.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Thanks Dagger,

Do you live close to Inverness and that is the reason for suggesting it? Sounds interesting.
    Yes about half an hour away. Come and see my farm and say hi.
    The nearest towns are Invergordon and Alness.
    David A. Gordon

Thanks Beanzy for the information you provided. I will look up the links.

My mother was Cornish so I have lots of cousins in the south-west of Cornwall centre around St Ives, Penzance, Falmouth andCamborne. I will be also be visiting a cousin in living in St Neot near Bodmin.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

We're about 1/2 way between Bodmin & Wadebridge, lots to do & see there. My son often plays in concerts in Carnglaze Caverns near St Neot which is a funky venue for concerts (not sure if they do any outside the summer season though. You should swing by places like Lanhydrock (nice for lunches & cream teas etc) and a cycle down the Camel Trail is a great way to get a feel for the landscape along the river if the weather is holding up ok, prime time for the salmon to be running on the Camel & Fowey rivers, so you might spot a few jumping. As well as The London Inn you should head up to the Blisland Inn for a few beers on the moor is a pleasant distraction too (beer is excellent, food is ok.)
    There's even a steam railway on the Bodmin & Wenford line

Anyway as long as I'm not up working in London happy to meet for some tunes when you're over.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Cadwith cove inn has a folk night on tuesday evenings, falmouth has quite a few and i hear good things about the ones in penzance.

14. The following members say thank you to Seatosky for this post:

Nick,

Edinburgh and Glasgow have big session scenes, so if you are passing through either, there will almost always be stuff on. Drop me a line nearer the time and I can point you in some promising directions/ put you in touch with some people. I'm in Edinburgh, specifically, as is fellow Cafe member Kevin Macleod, so hope to meet you then!

Niall

16. The following members say thank you to Niall Anderson for this post:

Sessions on most weeknights in Aberdeen too.
    Monday - Blue Lamp; Tuesday - Globe; Wednesday - Cove; Thursday - Blackfriars. And others further afield - Stonehaven, Tarland.

But tourists seldom come here except by accident.
    Bren

18. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post: