Thread: Los Angeles - New monthly jam in Will Rogers State Park

Default Los Angeles - New monthly jam in Will Rogers State Park

Hey all - The Park Rangers at Will Rogers State Park in Pacific Palisades are encouraging a new monthly jam session the 2nd Sunday of each month. "Acoustic Jammin' Sessions - Bluegrass, Folk, Country, and Old Timey - 2nd Sunday of every month 1:00-5:30 PM"

If you point out your instrument on the way in and tell them you're going to the jam, they will waive the parking fee. A ranger who came around said they really want to encourage people to come, so feel free to arrive early and go for a hike in the mountains or just hang out in the park before or after getting your fill of playing.

I went to the very first one today with my mandolin, guitar, and young daughters in tow.

I got there around 2:30 and joined the circle - handful of acoustic guitars of various types, another couple mandos at different times, a fiddle, a single banjo, and eventually a wash tub bass. We sat in the shade of a large California oak in front of Will Rogers' old ranch house and played some tunes. The rangers even provided a bunch of pretty good armless chairs. We played some old time fiddle tunes, some classic folks songs, a few modern folk/countryish tunes.

Address of the park is 1501 Will Rogers Way, which is off Sunset east of Chautauqua if you're coming up from the PCH.

Default Re: Los Angeles - New monthly jam in Will Rogers State Park

The latest Folkworks calendar says this jam is the third Sunday of the month.

I was surprised I didn't see any cards advertising at the Banjo Fiddle Contest (though I didn't spend much time "in town" this year), maybe they changed it up. I've never seen it advertised at Will Rogers - I am there fairly regularly. I'll ask the rangers next time I'm up there.

The jam leader at the Debs Park OT jam noted that the WRSP jam was cancelled that month because everyone would be at the Topanga Festival last month (3rd Sunday). I confirmed with the Folkworks calendar and another musician friend who knows of it. I never see any advertising (per se) of jam’s except thru Folkworks or if someone puts up a Facebook group, or on one of the forums.