Thread: Bought my first BC

Default Bought my first BC

I have been playing on a primetone 1.4 triangle, love triangles, and love how easily the primetone glides over the strings, but wanted something a little darker.

Actually, it was that John Grisman video a while back that got me dissatisfied with my current tone, his was so dark and wonderful, and mine was bright and tinny by comparison, I had to have it (I wants it, its my birthday, or it will be soon enough)...

I tried the jazz mando proplec for a while, it had the tone, but did not glide over the strings without effort, so I ditched it.

AFAIK the main diff between the proplec and the PT is the bevel and the material. PT is speed bevel and a really smooth material (meaning bright and easy to play), PP is round bevel and a grippier material (meaning darker and more effort to play).

So I figured I would try basically a proplec-shape in a BC, since BC is supposed to be the smoothest material of anything out there.

So I ordered the TP-60 and the TAD-80 in round bevel, figured I could try the different triangle sizes and the different thicknesses without losing too much cash or abusing their return policy.

And, drum roll, the TP-60 is the clear winner, like the slightly smaller size, like the tone, like the glide. I could wish for darker, but it gets me mostly there and plays very smoothly and easily. Basically it feels like the primetone, with darker tone.

The TAD-80, being thicker, had a little too much drag for my taste, the even darker tone was nice, but it made me work too hard for it, so I'll be playing the TP-60 for now.

So should I buy one more as a backup? I still have my first primetone from two years back, all the lettering is worn off, but it still plays fine. But I still remember the week I lost it, and played on its brother in the 3-pack until I found it again...

So now I have two identical feeling picks, one that is brighter, useful in acoustic jams, and one darker, better for the pickup and the mics.

And so ends yet another BC post. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: Bought my first BC

Quote from above - "...but wanted something a little darker." Do you mean 'less bright' ?. If so,almost any thicker pick (2.0mm), with a smooth,rounded bevel will give you that, ie. Golden Gate / Dawg picks - although it usually comes at the expense of volume,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

TP60 has been my pick of choice for the last 8 months or so (normal tips, not rounded) but the Prime Tone 1.5 large brown triangle is a very close second. I used the PT exclusively for around 2 years before trying out a TP60. It's difficult to describe tone in words, but I find that the Prime Tone gives a really punchy and authoritative tone, whereas the TP60 has all that but just adds a fraction more warmth and has a little more musicality going on.

Slightly more pick noise with the Prime Tone, but it's not a problem.

I love how the BC is really grippy in the hand, but just glides through the strings.

They're both great picks - so much so that I'll still use the Prime Tone in circumstances where it's possible to lose the BC (eg a room or stage with gaps in the floorboards).

I have a BC in almost all of my acoustic cases. CT 55 for mando, TaD 40 for guitar. If I ever lost one I'd not be happy with that circumstance, but would snag one from another case. I keep a Wegen or Primetone in the cases as backups, or if I want a brighter tone. Been using my Wegen 140 on my MT a lot lately, for some reason.

The Primetones are good picks, but I tried them after I had a BC, and have never bonded with them because of the string drag. The Wegens seem to glide just a bit better, though still not as smoothly as the BC. If BC wasn't an option, I'd play Wegen with Primetone as backup...at least based on my current mood
    Chuck

It's hard to evaluate a pick that costs as much as a BC on it's own merits. I have one that lives with my Silverangel but Wegens are in every other case. I really like the Dipper, lighter for guitar, up to 1.8 for mandolin.

The BC is definitely a good pick.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I flop back and forth between the TAD60 and CT55. I want a TAD50 or 48 for guitar.

If the Primetone 1.4mm triangle with grip was less bright, I could use it exclusively. If the Wegen TF140 was just a little brighter, I could use it exclusively. My mood changes constantly, so I'm glad they all sound like they do. For what it's worth, I'm on vacation and couldn't live without 2 BCs, a Proplec, a Dawg, a V-Pick, Fender Heavy, buffalo horn triangle, Dunlop 207, 208, Gator Grip, Primetone 1.4 & 1.5, Golden Gate, a TJs, and a Red Bear Big Picker.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4