Thread: Joe Foley mandolin on eBay... 1986 with nice case

Default Joe Foley mandolin on eBay... 1986 with nice case

This Joe Foley mandolin built in 1986 is only at $430, with a day and half left to bid. I wonder how high it will go. For $500 it's a steal no matter what condition it's in. It does have a line in the top that looks off to me, horizontal against the grain behind the bridge. Not sure if a brace might have popped. Not sure if the owner doesn't know the value or have Joe Foley instruments have ever been under $1500.00, at least.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282505458408

Default Re: Joe Foley mandolin on eBay... 1986 with nice case

How did you obtain the mandolin?

Blog Entries

Not seeing evidence of foul play here as apparently suggested, but the first opening post making a hard sell, zero history with the Cafe, anonymous and invisible online speaks for itself, never used the classifieds, never signed up for multiple giveaways, no apparent record on Google.

If you're making purchasing decisions on anonymous first posts on a public forum you probably need to reconsider that wisdom. Easy enough to have a friend make such a post. Not saying the OP is engaging in this, just a bit too much smoke and sell going on for our tastes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I'm not the one selling it. I have no idea the condition of it. I posted it on here for others to comment on. Whether it looked like the real deal, or if they have seen any Joe Foley instruments even in this price range. I was purely seeking opinions on the price, instrument quality, etc. I'm always skeptical with eBay purchases, but you can get lucky sometimes, and I would think this mandolin for $500-$600 would be a good deal. Thanks, sorry for the confusion!

I just joined the site last week. Used to play mandolin aroind 10-15 years ago, but switched to play bass in my current band. My kids are getting to be teenagers and they are playing a lot of acoustic music, so I plan on getting a new mandolin. I've owned Kentucky 160S, MK legacy FS, and a Rigel A+ Deluxe. I'm not able to afford anything in the Rigel range this time around, but have been eyeballing what's out there. Hence why I saw this Joe Foley up for sale. Thanks for havin me!!

Hi, I'm not the owner or the seller. I'm possibly interested in buying it, so I was looking for input from forum members. I added a response below I think too, I'm new to all this��. Thanks, have a great weekend!

If you're confident $500 is a steal, why would you post here basically advertising a steal to real world mandolin players, possibly causing the price to go above the steal price?

Anyway, nice to have you. If interested in the other mandos as you say, maybe post for opinions in the Information about Mandolins forum.

I don't own one but a much fancier version was for sale until recently at the Music Emporium for a long time, with the description being "A perfect instrument for players in the Celtic world who perform in duos and trios", so I gather from that that at least that particular mandolin was lovely in tone but not very loud for session playing. That is about all I know.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

10. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

i thought it looked a good deal as well but having never heard a foley mandolin i probably won't bid. i would expect the price to double in the last hour.

12. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

Currently at $880 with less than 5 hours to go...............NFI

14. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford it in the end, but thought someone on here may be interested. Thanks.

It sold for $1,724.99 !

Apparently there were enough interested buyers who weren't napping after all.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yup, I always get my hopes up that one of these days I will find a steal out on the interwebs, but nowadays you have to get pretty lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmandolin View Post
    Yup, I always get my hopes up that one of these days I will find a steal out on the interwebs, but nowadays you have to get pretty lucky.
    deals are still out there. and people on mandolin cafe alert often. i got my gibson snakhead from a posting here. refinished and needing repair but pretty cheap eddie sheehy alerted me. repaired it is the world's best busking mandolin. you need to hunt for things with a flaw or find something odd ball that you can trade to the right person.

20. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post: