Thread: About to jump in the water....

Default About to jump in the water....

Well, about to try this mandolin thing out. Thought about it awhile back but stuck with the guitar.

Did a search and hit a deal on a Rogue. Got the setup book offered on here and 26 pages into that. Rogue should be here Friday.

Here we go.....Google Shopping site deal.

2. The following members say thank you to B381 for this post:

louh 

Default Re: About to jump in the water....

Congratulations. You will likely need the set-up book's advice, but the Rogue will almost certainly be the first of many

Congrats on the new journey! The Rogue can be setup to play well, so no problem there (just a good deal of work).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

You may find, as I did, that a mandolin is a much more logical instrument than a guitar. Perhaps not as versatile, but in the end more enjoyable. I will admit to recently getting involved with a Tenor guitar...tuned like an octave mandolin, so the chords etc transfer perfectly.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Welcome to the monkey house (in the words of Mr Kurt Vonnegut). Enjoy the Rogue. I have only played one of those (it had been set up and played well). It will definitely get you going.....
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

A great place to start -- along with the cafe! welcome to both!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

===========

Sounds like you're off to a good start - enjoy the ride and check in with us often.

It must have been a good day at the factory when this one was put together. Intonation is good, holds tune (I didn't realize just how much tension a mando had), sounds very nice and the action is nice and low. I have not done any setup to it at this point and it is doing good. The only problem I have seen so far is that the tuners on the D string feel a bit "grind ish"....so going to take a look at that. They work fine but just not as smooth as they should be.

Interesting thing, watching mando lessons, picking this up faster than I did guitar. I'm hooked.

I found mandolin far easier to make progress on than guitar. And then I picked up "mandolin exercises for dummies" and that progress started going even faster. You may want to give that a try. I'm finding that the exercises make the fretboard make sense without having someone trying to tell me how it works.

Blog Entries

B381: Welcome to the herd. Sorry I missed your initial post, but I am glad this thread came around again. As a mandolin beginner but not completely new to music, I am still having a lot of fun watching myself make progress. It is far from instantaneous gratification, but it is indeed fun.

I have set up a Rogue for a friend using Rob's ebook and I recommend going ahead and doing all the steps even if you think the setup is already OK. Reason: to give yourself the confidence to do that kind of stuff to your mandolin even if it is a multi-thousand dollar instrument. Or at least to know what needs to be done if you elect to take it to a luthier. The Rogue is a good way to get an inexpensive education on luthery and a good way to get started with a playable mandolin.

Keep on picking!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    I found mandolin far easier to make progress on than guitar. And then I picked up "mandolin exercises for dummies" and that progress started going even faster. ....
    Both of Don's books are worthwhile. I also started with a Rogue and Rob's e-book on mandolin setups. I have a bit better axe now, but the Rogue is still here for camping and canoe trips. Welcome to the wild and woolly world of mandolining.