Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TKL and the SMELL

Question TKL and the SMELL

Got a new TKL case 2 weeks ago, the new case smell is still there, does it eventually go away?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Default Re: TKL and the SMELL

John,

I have one from 2014 and one that just came with a new mandolin. The 2014 still smells about like the new one. I can't tell that the smell has really dissipated all that much. These cases are frustrating; bad latches, over-stuffed padding and they smell bad. Wish there was an alternative that makers could use that wasn't really expensive.

Dan

3. The following members say thank you to danoNC for this post:

JAK 

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... I put my case in the attic for six months and that baked the smell out of it. Kind of silly to have to do that with a new product but I can't have an instrument smelling like that..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

JAK 

The peculiar aroma of Play-Doh, right?

The new shaped TKL that came with my NF nearly oozed with the odor. Don't know how long it lasts however, because I sold it soon after with another mando. My main case is a rectangular TKL that I got used and already smell free.

I have run into old cases that have an almost cat piss-like reek so it could be worse.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Thanks for the input.
    John A. Karsemeyer

From Chris Daniels - "My main case is a rectangular TKL that I got used and already smell free". I've owned a TKL ''American Vintage'' rect. case for close to 12 years & i can't remember it ever having a smell at all. It was bought new from First Quality in Ky.

Maybe TKL are using a different adhesive these days - it could be worth e-mailing them to tell them of the smell problem,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My new mandola came in a TKL and the smell is bad; but not nearly as bad as that of Cedar Creek which my GBOM came in over half a decade ago, which still smells. Follow the oft given advice to keep your instrument in the case when not being played and that will also smell.

I have a Martin purchased new around 1997. TKL case still has the same scent. In this case, it is that fragrant one, that really isn't so bad. The adhesive smell that some have bugs me.

Also have a mid 90's SKB case that came with an Ibanez (purchased new). It still has a strong smell as well, but I rather like it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I got a new TKL case from Collings last week--no noticeable odor.
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

Leave it open outside where there are cats. That will get rid of the new smell. Guaranteed.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Is the smell from the glue, the lining, or ???

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Leave it open outside where there are cats. That will get rid of the new smell. Guaranteed.

I hear men's cologne works...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

You'd think the TKL Company would have this problem solved, resulting in poor customer relations because of the smell.
    John A. Karsemeyer

You got a Cat? he may mark it as territory.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

From JAK - "You'd think the TKL Company would have this problem solved,..". It's hard to understand 'how' it might be,but 'maybe' TKL aren't aware of it being a long term problem - hence my advice on maybe sending them an e-mail. If it's unacceptable to customers,they need to know. If we don't tell them,but simply continue to complain,nothing will get done,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A few years ago I bought a TKL for a guitar. I spread two -- I THINK it was two -- pounds of cheap white rice around the inside, closed the lid, forgot about it for two days then vacuumed the rice. The smell had diminished and eventually went away.

Received this from TKL's Director of Domestic & International Operations = "The adhesives we use are all water-based, and have their natural odors scented with a vanilla concentrate. Sometimes there is a residual odor. The concentration of this scent will continue to diminish over time."
    John A. Karsemeyer

20. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

That would seem to explain things. Personally, I'd rather smell their "natural odo(u)rs" than some synthetic vanilla smell for months/years. Perhaps they could develop a smell which replicates the old, pleasant, contact adhesive of years gone by; or possibly actually use that.

22. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Now I'm trying baking soda wrapped in coffee filters inside the closed case (my wife's advice). Let ya know what happens....
    John A. Karsemeyer

Wow, and I thought it was just me! The case that came with my Collings MT smells kinda like cigars... that have been smoked. I also agree that the padding seems a scosche over-tight.

My Eastman 815V came with a rectangular case that doesn't have a pronounced order and is roomier than the TKL case, which I prefer.

Well,at least we know that it's ''water based'' adhesive !. I agree with Ray & it may be that the concentrate is too concentrated - like Ray,i'd opt for no aditional smelly stuff. The water based adhesives that i've used usually have a sort of 'wet cardboard' smell,not particularly 'nice',but not strong either.

You can buy pieces of 'activated charcoal',the sort of stuff added to the Odour Eaters that we put in our shoes (well some of us do !). Get a few lumps of that,put them in the case,close it & leave it for a week or so.
    There are several articles on the I/net with advice on 'how to get rid of smells',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I like custard but I don't want my cases to smell of it! (I've a feeling that custard isn't that common in the US?) Must have words with a banjo/guitar/dobro playing friend of mine - he's a decendant of the "Birds" family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I like custard but I don't want my cases to smell of it! (I've a feeling that custard isn't that common in the US?)
    Not since Custard's last stand! (ok, that was bad)

Seriously though, we have custard here, but it's not nearly as popular as pudding (like chocolate pudding that you eat with a spoon, not the European generic sense of "pudding" meaning desert, or a baked good)

Does anyone know who makes the Weber cases? My Weber Bitterroot mandola came in a heavy grey case with the Weber logo on it. It's a nice sturdy case and well-padded, but it has a very distinct smell to it as well. When the vanilla scent was mentioned above, it caught my attention. The smell in this case is very sweet, like the smell of pipe tobacco and (I suppose) sort of vanilla-ish. I wonder if TKL manufactures these. I could swear someone told me that Eastman makes these cases, but I can't remember for sure. All I know is that every time I open that case, I get a face full of sweet spice.

It's not an unpleasant smell, but it is sure persistent. It's getting close to 2 years that I've had it, and it's still very noticeable.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

I'm sure that in a long gone Cafe thread,it was mentioned that the Weber cases are (were) made somewhere in South America. I haven't used my Weber case for so long,that i've forgotten if it had any smell at all.
    I remember visiting Holland when i was in my early teens. A group of us (college students) went into a Cafe ,& there was the smell of cigars & coffee - it was such a beautiful aroma,that the memory of it has never left me.
    I use men's aftershave / eau de toilette products that don't contain alcohol. Every now & then i'll spray the inside top of a case with a drop,just to freshen them up a bit. The soft linings can sometimes begin to smell 'musty' as they age - a bit like me !.

I have in the past placed a small sachet of dried Lavender inside a case to freshen it up - it works very well ideed,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.