Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1936 GIBSON F5 Fern- MY New LOVE

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1936 GIBSON F5 Fern- MY New LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Hate to get a bit "kinky" here, but there are some that just love that smell of the old vintage Gibsons. Some say it's from being in the original case for so long, others say it's just an old smell that can only come from antiques. I think it's a combination of both. It's also a good way to tell the originals from the fakes. You can't fake that vintage smell, but I know for a fact Charlie Derrington was working on putting that smell into the new ones. Not sure if he got there.
    I hear ya Tom! I love the smell something intoxicating about it, I said this years ago Derrington should've put that spray to market I'd date myself in it

Just FYI, here is a link to all the photos I took at Schoenberg the day I went.
    There are some lovely instruments there, including the ones discussed previously.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4hp3m29s...dwdiIIpKa?dl=0
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

3. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice pix CWRoyds! I would love that F-10, not many people like the shortneck 7's 10's and 12's but I for sure do, sweet sounding little horns and if ya had one in not perfect shape you can get em converted and have that 30's F-5 sound! Was that 30's F-5 there a killer sounding mandolin? It was re-graduated to "crusher" specs. I wouldn't mind having her. Also what did that early 50s F-12 sound like, pry warmish/ because of the hogwood neck.