Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1936 GIBSON F5 Fern- MY New LOVE

Blog Entries

Default 1936 GIBSON F5 Fern- MY New LOVE

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/93722.
    Well this is my new LOVE thanks to the Dawg! Traded him my Gilchrist F-5 and a few pennies. It is a wonderful F-5, has all the goods one would look for, not sure if the pix will show up or not from the archive but there is the link!
    The case in the archive didn't come with it but a bought a pretty much brand new well looks almost new 38 Geib rectangular just like the one in the archive!
    Here are some sound samples if they work from when Dawg had her at Dusty Strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsyKd73FQuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6yeVGywkiQ

Don't know if this'll work never done this before on here! But the Fern is

This has everything I've looked for in a mandolin, power/clarity/ease of playability/great neck angle/killer tone/ I just got her yesterday and the bridge is still settling so it's getting dialed in and getting better!, It was at Dusty Strings for over 2 years and not played much so it will have a lot more to give after some serious pickin on her-I'm a firm believer in em going to sleep no matter what anyone says! Dawg agrees with that! I thank David for this opportunity, he knows I've been looking for a vintage F-5 for a long time but couldn't afford one outright and it seems every old F-5 out there is on consignment so no one could swap me, so Dawg wanted an old Gil and he initiated the swap so I'll be always grateful to the Dawg! He is a wonderful person to talk to and deal with. Just a normal down to earth individual! Plus he gave me a few autographed cd's and an autographed photo for my music room! He's a truly genuine nice guy in every way! I'll never forget how he helped me out on my quest for a great ole Gibson F-5! This one I'll never let go. It's for sure one of the better ones from the depression era and rare, not too many F-5's after the Loar period.
    And I remember this mandolin from years ago when Mitch Simpson owned it, something about it stood out to me all those years ago so I believe I was meant to have it! It took quite a few years but Yeh I'm one lucky guy I feel anyway.
    Last edited by William Smith; Jun-03-2017 at 12:01pm.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Default Re: 1936 GIBSON F5 Fern- MY New LOVE

Wowzers! That's an awesome sounding mando! And what a cool way to get it!
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

4. The following members say thank you to Andrew B. Carlson for this post:

Very nice, very nice indeed.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Great score, I know you'll enjoy.

8. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Congrats Billy. I know you've been searching for just the right axe and deal for a while!

10. The following members say thank you to RichieK for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, Richie, I'm thrilled big time, a lot of people frown on the 30's Gibson F-5's but this one is for sure a great one!

Congrats. Enjoy it and play the heck out of it. Looks and sounds great!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

13. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

===========

I am sincerely thrilled for you (and a little envious) - enjoy!

15. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Dude! That's awesome. Congrats on a great mandolin!

17. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Really fine. Sounds great.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks to all for the congrats, now if I can just find the time to play her with a 5 year old little girl, 6 month old little boy and mom in the hospital as of last night battling cancer-that sucks! It really is a neat old 5
    If I can find the time I'll try and get a video of me pickin on her, I'll do a sound comparison with my one F-7 conversion and I think most will agree that while both sound great my conversion "LOAR Buster-I call her" is one vicious mandolin! My other 7 conversion I gave to my dad to use-he needed a nasty mando to play. Or I'll wait till I get that one back from him and the 34 F-7 that Wood is redoing along with my 58 F-5 that Randy is also doing. People shouldn't knock those conversions-they simply are wicked and will overpower most any mandolin! Loars included. That is why I've gotten rid of my Paganoni DL-8 "that's in the cafe ads right now by someone". an 04 V-Fern. 82 Gil F-5, and countless others!

Sweet mandolin, and what an awesome story, as well! Congratulations!! You know, I used to not be a huge fan of the block inlays, but they're really growing on me...
    Chuck

22. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Congratulations, Bill (hope that's correct) I can well understand your excitement! What a great instrument to have! In respect to your comments about conversions: I bought a Randy Wood F-12 conversion in 1969. (It was one of Randy's first conversions...a '37.) I've had it since and it's reduced, but not eliminated my MAS. Lots have come-and-gone since then. None a replacement, or even close. Tempted by the vintage Gibson 5's, like yours, though! Just for the provenance! Hope you have as many great years with your Gibson as I've had with mine!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

24. The following members say thank you to Rush Burkhardt for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, Rush, I sent ya a message about your 12, I'd like to know about her, I have an obsession with those and 7's-10's-12's! My email is my handle plus @yahoo.com. I love my conversions,they put most mandolins to shame! I have my Uncle Dick Smith to thank because of his 7 conversion that he's had since 68 "I believe" It was the MAN's John Duffey did it in the early 60's, there are a bunch of photos with John with it, and it is shown on the album/cd cover of the Country Gents-On the Road and More-it's hanging in the background on a fence! Great sounding horn for sure!

Really great sounding vintage Gibson! looks as good as it sounds! congrats.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

27. The following members say thank you to goose 2 for this post:

All round wonderful instrument!
    P.S. Anybody know name of that cool tune played by Dawg and Tracy?

29. The following members say thank you to Gop for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gop View Post
    All round wonderful instrument!
    P.S. Anybody know name of that cool tune played by Dawg and Tracy?
    Is it Del and Dawg? Something like that I think, Dawg can pull the tone out of anything be it a vintage 5 or budget plywood depression era A!

Blog Entries

Does or can anyone post some photos of any 30's F-5's that they own? I think they are beautiful pieces of history and sound well Great, I like the bright tone of these compared to the mellowish sounds of the Loars. Not to say Loars aren't bright but by far different sounding! The 30's are also a lot less common than Loar F-5's. Plus I'm a firm believer that there are still quite a few F-5's that have not been found/recorded in the archives, example look at the fine 29 at the Music Emporium, and the 31 and 41 with the strange off center burst at Gruhns "I don't know the # of the one's at Gruhns, but I cant find it in the archive photos, not to say maybe there # might just be listed? SHOW EM IF YA GOT EM

Here's a nice one at Schoenberg Guitars: http://om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P140614002
    Don McRostie regraduated the top; anybody ever checked it out?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Here's a nice one at Schoenberg Guitars: http://om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P140614002
    Yes thats Dawgs also, he offered that one to me but I didn't want one modified, I also suspected that one had a re-neck in the late 30's because the neck color didn't match up with the body and it also had the peghead inlay "stamp" of a certain inlay worker from the late 30's that put his stamp on some of the Gibson's with the spaced out flowerpot! Dawg agreed with that theory Granted it pry sounds great but too many mods for the price!

34. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

Come on Kids where are pix of your 30's F-5's I'm a waiting! I want to see your ferns/flowerpots/fluer-de-les etc...

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Congrats Brotha!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

37. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    For the record (text lifted from Shoenberg´s website):

Gibson F-5 Mandolin, circa 1933

Early Flowerpot, Block Inlay Example
    1929 Serial Number, 1933 Shipping Date
    Top Revoiced by Don MacCrostie (to Grisman's "Crusher" specs)
    This Guitar Is Not Stored On Our Premises! Call for appointment
    Description
    Specs
    Product Description
    A fine sounding Flowerpot F-5, with block inlays starting at the 3rd fret, the straight "Gibson" peghead logo, and a "Made in USA" label under the treble f-hole. The serial # is from 1929 and records indicate a 1933 shipment date, according to Spann's Guide to Gibson, while the flower pot peghead inlay is from the late Thirties. The top has been regraduated by Don McCrostie, builder of Red Diamond Mandolins, to the specs of David Grisman's "Crusher." It's in very good condition, the only issues being the typical peg head scroll break - beautifully repaired --, a spot of pick guard disintegration, & the standard Gibson finish crazing.

Tone is exemplary: Very loud, solid, full chop with loud, clear and sweet trebles.

Product ID
    P140614002
    Our Price: $34,995.00

Now, let me rant a little bit.

We have here a heavily (!) modified instrument, that is by no means in the front row of desirability and it is equiped with a price of a pristine 30ies F-5?

Put everything in perspective: Elderly has a Virzi Loar (1924) for 135.000,-. This is the lowest price, I´ve seen for a while ((serial number 10115, small repaired crack on bass side near edge), very rare and sounds great, fully original except frets 1 through 12 have been replaced; text from the ad). The only ones I know that had lower asking prices were heavily compromised (either through repairs or refinishes).

A post Loar Fern would probably cost around 75.000,-. The high price for a mid thirties F-5 was around 45.000 (currency USD) around 2008.

Then take an F-7. They can be had for around 10.000 USD. The asking price for the F-10 at Retrofret (http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3550) was 25.000,- years back. It is now around 18.000,- (after they came to their senses, though I find it yet too expensive). The F-10 is much rarer than the prewar F-12. I think someone should get a realitycheck.

Gruhn has a 41 F-5 for ca. 19.000,- and a pristine thirties F-5 for 35.000. That should tell something.

Now I love vintage instruments like the next man. I also think that everybody is entitled to try and make as much money out of an instrument sale as possible. But still I don´t see this instrument (a players instrument, not a colector grade instrument) go for that kind of money.
    Olaf

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Then take an F-7. They can be had for around 10.000 USD. The asking price for the F-10 at Retrofret (http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3550) was 25.000,- years back. It is now around 18.000,- (after they came to their senses, though I find it yet too expensive). The F-10 is much rarer than the prewar F-12. I think someone should get a realitycheck.

Gruhn has a 41 F-5 for ca. 19.000,- and a pristine thirties F-5 for 35.000. That should tell something.

Now I love vintage instruments like the next man. I also think that everybody is entitled to try and make as much money out of an instrument sale as possible. But still I don´t see this instrument (a players instrument, not a colector grade instrument) go for that kind of money.[/QUOTE]

OK well actually there are 2 F-10's out there for sale! Retrofrets and one at Shoenberg's Prewar F-12 is rarer show me one other than mine that I have in the classifieds for sale? I don't know if your talking about me with a "realitycheck?" F-7's yeh nice ones for around 10G actually Smokey Mountain Guitars had one 34 F-7 in almost pristine shape for under 10 and now the same one is at Retrofret for 14.5? Guess they think they can make 5G or so on it?
    Gruhn's 1941 F-5 is not 19.000 its 27.000 and if your talking about the 1933 Apollon F-5 at Gruhns thats far from pristine its been refinished and replaced tuners and fingerboard/no pickguard and a 50's case, for 35.000 and Gruhn does have a pristine 1931 F-5 but thats 60.000
    As for the Shoenberg F-5 that was revoiced if someone wants a vintage F-5 sound, and they like it they'll make an offer and buy it! It's all in what one wants-there's the facts

Congrats
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

42. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post: