Thread: Better Late Than Never

===========

Default Better Late Than Never

As a late-comer to the mandolin, (and a long-time record collector), it wasn’t until about 15 years ago that I heard about this album. At that time the album was considered ‘rare and highly sought-after’, and there were simply no affordable copies to be found. By the time the mid-2000’s rolled around, I had stopped playing music altogether and finding a copy of the album was no longer a priority. Fast forward to about a week ago - I spotted this on eBay for $4.00 (postage included), so I snagged it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HJ.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	157795

2. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Better Late Than Never

Next on your list can be It Ain't Necessarily Square .... Then you can look into The Puritan Sessions and don't forget Tea for One ..... Jethro was amazing. Here is a link to a site with shared Jethro lessons for you to check out also.http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/#downloads Enjoy R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Fast forward to about a week ago - I spotted this on eBay for $4.00 (postage included), so I snagged it.
    Timing is everything.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Good score on evilbay! I recently scored an old 45 that was from Glenn Moore and his cousins-My gramps was the mando and tenor singer in this group from California. I got the 45 for 8 bucks and to my surprise it was autographed by the members and its the real deal, I know my Grandpa Bills signature! and its in Great shape! Now if I could only find the other 45 from this group and the 45 from the 60's that he put out with Uncle Dick Smith with the tune grandpa Bill and Donnie Blanchard wrote on one side "I'm Picking Flowers" and the other side is a banjo tune "Lonesome Banjo" Anyone have one!?!?!? I'd be eternally grateful!
    Also looking for a record he put out in the early 80's with my Uncle's Mike and Randy Smith and the Lattus Brothers- I think it was just called Lattus Brothers? This was in California. I believe the Lattus brothers were twins and both California Highway Patrolmen cops!

===========

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Next on your list can be It Ain't Necessarily Square .... Then you can look into The Puritan Sessions and don't forget Tea for One ..... Jethro was amazing. Here is a link to a site with shared Jethro lessons for you to check out also.http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/#downloads Enjoy R/
    Yes, 'It Ain't Necessarily Square' is a logical follow up to put on my 'Want List'. I grabbed a copy of 'Tea For One' several years ago, and it was a real catalyst of inspiration for me - even though I can play NOTHING like Jethro.

A former radio colleague of mine used to get backstage at the Opry whenever he was in Nashville, back in the 1950's and 60's - and he said that whenever Homer & Jethro were in town, they were the guys who were backstage entertaining everyone with their impromptu jazz numbers . . . wouldn't I have LOVED to see that!

Oh, good...another opening to post this great clip

===========

Boy, am I stupid . . . I just put this album on my turntable, and (every once in a while) tried to play along.

I am now seriously thinking about taking up a different instrument . . . .
    Last edited by MikeZito; Jun-08-2017 at 2:40pm.