Thread: Carter Family Songbook

Default Carter Family Songbook

Just finished "Will You Miss Me When I Am Gone", a biography of the Carter family. Can someone help me out as I have 2 questions. First, are there any other books about the Carter Family? Second, are there any Carter Family songbooks for mandolin with tab? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Lee Oliver

Default Re: Carter Family Songbook

There is the recent documentary about them, The Winding Stream. You can watch it on Netflix.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Caleb 

The first episode of the PBS series 'American Epic' focused quite a bit on the Carter family. Interesting stuff, and I would like to know about a good songbook as well!

Hal Leonard has this songbook: The Carter Family Collection.

This is guitar-oriented but that is the only instruments they used. I doubt there is much out there in the way of mandolin tab but the melodies are relatively simple, tho sometimes they add extra beats. I would try to learn by ear as much as possible. Hard to do it from the page.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hal Leonard has this songbook: The Carter Family Collection. This is guitar-oriented but that is the only instruments they used...
    Other than Sara's Autoharp.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Maybelle's style is so guitaristic -- the percussiveness of playing melody on the bass strings while really digging in with her thumb, together with the strong chordal feel she maintains -- it's glorious, but not something that translates well to the mandolin. On the other hand, the melodies of their songs are so lovely, and so at the heart of old-timey American vocal music, if you work by ear they will translate beautifully to the mandolin.

I am looking for constructions plan for F style octave mandolin . Can any help me?
    Thank you

Why post this in this thread? We have a very active builder’s area: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/f...ers-and-Repair
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelee View Post
    Just finished "Will You Miss Me When I Am Gone", a biography of the Carter family. Can someone help me out as I have 2 questions. First, are there any other books about the Carter Family? Second, are there any Carter Family songbooks for mandolin with tab? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Can’t help with the songbook but I too just finished the biography. I learned a lot of things I hadn’t known about them and their music. I stopped by the Carter Family Fold about 5 years ago know and that was a fun experience, it was during the Clinch Mtn Festival and I had just gotten my brand new mandolin on the way to Kaufman Kamp to begin my mando journey.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 12.56.48 AM.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	422.2 KB 
ID:	171377
    This how I transcribe their songs.

Blog Entries

For fans of graphic novels, I really liked "The Carter Family Don't Forget This Song" by Young and Lasky. Great read, and the pictures bring certain fun to it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: