Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Air Travel Information

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Instrument Air Travel Information

This is an old subject in the forum and one that I have researched in old threads. In spite of my research, I still feel uncertain. I took a Travolin on my last European trip which proved to be ideally suited for extensive travel by plane, boat, bus and train. Thinking that I would never return to Europe, I sold the Travolin. I am now faced with an upcoming trip to Heidelberg. I will essentially have only Heidelberg as my destination, so a full size instrument is more doable.
    Hoping to find some open jams or perhaps an open mic, I would like to take with me my new Mandola. I haven't the inclination to check it in baggage or to buy it a dedicated seat. Perhaps people with prior experience taking instruments to Europe can comment on their experience.
    Keep in mind my dola case is a bit larger than a mandolin case with the dola itself being 29 1/4 inches (72 cm).
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Instrument Air Travel Information

I have no experience with a mandola. I have not had a problem with my mandolin on any of the flights I have taken (domestic or international). Back in 2002-3, They almost had me check in my guitar while boarding, but one of the flight attendants stowed it in their closet.

If you can put it in overhead, and it is more smilar to the same size as a mandolin case (I know it will be slightly larger) than a guitar case, you should not have a problem. However, it would depend on the how full your flight (overhead space becomes a premium) is and the mood of the flight attendants. Only suggestion I have is try and board as early as you can so you do get space in overhead. On two occasions, I was able to store my mandolin in the "closet" due to no overhead space available because of the size of the instrument.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

3. The following members say thank you to GeoMandoAlex for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMandoAlex View Post
    I have no experience with a mandola. I have not had a problem with my mandolin on any of the flights I have taken (domestic or international). Back in 2002-3, They almost had me check in my guitar while boarding, but one of the flight attendants stowed it in their closet.

If you can put it in overhead, and it is more smilar to the same size as a mandolin case (I know it will be slightly larger) than a guitar case, you should not have a problem. However, it would depend on the how full your flight (overhead space becomes a premium) is and the mood of the flight attendants. Only suggestion I have is try and board as early as you can so you do get space in overhead. On two occasions, I was able to store my mandolin in the "closet" due to no overhead space available because of the size of the instrument.
    I had no problem carrying on an octave mando on United for a flight from Denver to Portugal and back in late April. I did hedge my bet by checking my other baggage and boarding early, which I would recommend. Have a great trip.

5. The following members say thank you to fiddleround for this post:

Bill - I've never fully subscribed to the idea that the 'size' of an instrument has really been a factor in being allowed to take an instrument on board or not. Back in 1992,i took my Stelling banjo in it's case onboard my flight to the USA. It was placed in one of the luggage lockers (closets) down the centre isle of the aircraft - the ones used to stow baby buggies etc. in. Coming back,i took it on board once more in an even larger case,my new Mark Leaf banjo case. A steward told me to put it in the ''overhead locker''. It fit in with ease & there was still plenty of locker space.

IMO - I think it's more down to what the airlines see fit to allow on board as ''proper luggage''. Instruments in cases seem to come under the heading of ''suitcases of another genre'' or something like that. Whether you'd be allowed to take your Mandola on board,might be down to the individual check-in clerk or what the individual airline's policy is.

I don't know what the current US situation is,but despite fairly recent US rulings on what 'can be/can't be' taken on board with regard to musical instruments,there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty - unfortunately,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top__Medium_.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	157639
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

First of all, this issue changes all the time and airline policies can change rapidly.
    I'm not saying that young Ivan's 1992 experience is irrelevant, but ... OK, I am. Sorry Ivan.

I fly a lot for business and all I can do is detail my recent experience.

Brief summary: every airline I've used in Europe in the last six months EXCEPT RYANAIR allows a "small musical instrument" in addition to their one (1) carry-on bag on the cheapest fares.

This definition is crucial, because even the mandolin in a close-fitting gigbag that I carry, will protrude from the dimension-checking frames and be technically over-size. That seems crazy because it takes up way less volume that any small cabin bag, and weighs much less too.

However, even easyjet allows a "small musical instrument" these days. That's a recent change and not all desk staff are up to speed on that, so it's a good idea to search their website and print out the policy.

Now - what size is a "small musical instrument"? Search me. I know a mandolin qualifies. Probably a mandola does.

I don't tempt fate by taking a hard case.
    Nor do I tempt fate by asking airlines to outline dimensions, in case my instrument does not pass muster.
    Except in the case of Ryanair, because of experience.

I sometimes put my laptop backpack in my checked luggage and slip my laptop into the mandolin bag.

I once went to Amsterdam for a 3-day conference, hand-luggage only, with spare shirts and underwear packed around my mandolin as padding. Managed to get a great tune at the Wednesday night Mulligans session so it was all worth it.

I assume for Heidelberg, you'd be going into Frankfurt and using a major airline, and then getting train or driving to Heidelberg. You could try searching their website for "small musical instrument". I can tell you for sure that KLM and Lufthansa allow it as an additional bag. As of May 12th :-) - things may have changed again.
    Last edited by Bren; May-30-2017 at 10:42am.

9. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Firstly I have never carried an instrument internationally. The only thing I can add to this thread is that I have always been allowed to carry my combination mandolin fiddle case in the overhead. Whenever I fly I use a Calton case , in the case, ha, that bad luck descends on my journey and the instrument gets kicked into baggage which has yet to happen. I have put a guitar in baggage in a Calton and all was well. Safe travels to you and Dola.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

11. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I have traveled many times internationally with a mandolin...., only had a problem once, and after gentle discussion with attendants, space was found in a closet...
    I have quietly placed the case under seat in front of me and had my feet resting on it ... which is NOT the way to do it, as there should be total clearance for feet, but it works.... best is to place in overhead, as carry on...
    John D

13. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

I have had it placed in a closet too John D, especially on long-haul flights. But recently there has been no space in these closets on flights I've taken.

The crucial discussion in European airports is usually with the check-in desk staff, (if you are checking in a bag) long before you get to talk to the flight attendants on the plane.

Most of the time, after checking-in your hold luggage, they will ask to see your carry-on.

I show them my small laptop bag and my mandolin, sometimes saying "I have a laptop bag and a Small Musical Instrument" , deliberately using the common airline term. Always been OK - except with easyjet before the policy change, and except with Ryanair now (last experience late March - I took another flight at my own expense)

The easyjet policy is a good guide to what other airlines are likely to accept:

Musical instruments are permitted for carriage as Hand Baggage provided that the instrument, including its case, does not exceed 30cm x 120cm x 38cm. Violins, violas, piccolos, flutes, clarinets, bugles and trumpets all fall within these dimensions. Carriage as Hand Baggage is subject to available space in the overhead lockers and strictly at the Captain's discretion. Please note the instrument will be classed as Your one allowed piece of Hand Baggage.

Larger instruments (with the exception of cellos) must be checked in as Hold Luggage, subject to payment of the baggage fee, and cannot weigh more than 32kg.

When it is not practical to combine the instrument with another item of Hand Baggage into a single piece in accordance with Our hand baggage policy, You can carry one small additional piece (e.g. ladies handbag or laptop) if it is not practical to check this item as Hold Luggage.
    Full text here:
    https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and...ic-instruments

Bren - 2 years ago,i contacted by phone,the 3 airlines that fly from Manchester UK to Dublin.,Ireland :- Ryanair / Aer Lingus & Air Arran - not one of them would allow me to take a mandolin on board !. Ryanair did offer me the chance to buy a return ticket for my mandolin for £47 UK.

Regulations have been put in place in the US to allow instruments to be taken on board an aircraft,but we've had a number of posts on here where it's been very obvious that the regs. are not being applied by all airlines.

As i mentioned in my last post,you may or may not be allowed to take an instrument on board. It depends on an individual airline's policy. Back in 1992,it was my first trip to the US with an instrument & not knowing any better,i simply took it onboard. I was fortunate enough to be able to store it on one of the luggage lockers. Coming back,i put my banjo in it's huge Mark Leaf case in the overhead locker - no problems. However,i'd not expect the same thing to be allowed today - things have changed.

Regarding the 'size' of a musical instrument. Our current UK laws are ridiculous !. This is the ''allowed size'' of a piece of hand luggage :-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bag.Dims. 22 x 18 x 10 (Medium) (2).gif 
Views:	823 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	157730 The allowed ''volume'' of hand luggage is 2.29 cubic feet (L x W x H). The 'volume' of my Travelite case is only 1.17 cu.ft.,but because the length exceeds the ''allowed'' length,i'm officially not allowed to take it on board,when it's smaller than my allowed volume of luggage !.

This is an issue which ''The International Federation of Musicians'' is currently investigating :- https://www.fim-musicians.org/instru...g-of-airlines/

The bottom line is 'realistically' - one persons experience won't neccessarilly be another's = don't take being allowed to take an instrument on board for granted,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

£47 - a bargain; that's less that Ryanair used to charge to replace a lost boarding card!

We flew back to Manchester from Amsterdam last year, on the way back from Boston, and my observation is that KLM will allow almost anything to be carried on board - double bass players take note. Incidentally, if you fly short hall KLM in business class, you get three seats between two people so you could use the spare for an instrument.

Ivan - you are correct with the airlines you mentioned. A particular shame here in Aberdeen as there are few regions of the world with as many fiddlers per head of population as NE Scotland, especially among those heading to Ireland.

For example, Aer Lingus states:
    Musical instruments can be taken on board as part of your free cabin baggage allowance, providing they fit within the dimensions of 55cm H (21.5") x 40cm W (15.5") x 24cm D (9.5").
    No mandolin or fiddle will fit that restriction, although I have sometimes shown that my mando will pretty much fit the rectangular frame if held diagonally.

However, easyjet explicitly states that 120cm length is acceptable, and that you may combine that allowance with a laptop/handbag (see the last paragraph quoted in my previous post). I believe this came in in late 2016 .
    When I travelled on easyjet in March 2017 I politely showed a printout to the check-in staff who were not going to allow me to carry both mandolin and laptop , and to be fair, they read it, checked with their colleagues and thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

What you need to be aware of is that, in regional airports especially, check-in staff do not usually work for the (budget) airlines but for a service company which is hired by the hour by the budget airlines, as and when required, another way they keep their costs down.

KLM's website explicitly states:
    2. As hand baggage
    A smaller musical instrument, such as a violin or smaller instrument, you can bring instead of a piece of hand baggage. It needs to fit in the overhead baggage compartment.
    KLM and easyjet are the airlines I have travelled recently which explicitly allow mandolin-sized instruments free carry-on.
    It's worthwhile printing out the relevant sections of their websites

Others I have travelled in the last year which have not stopped me taking my mandolin onboard are:
    Asiana
    Lufthansa
    BA
    Flybe
    SAS
    Aeroflot
    S7
    Qantas
    Singapore Airlines
    Air Asia
    Virgin
    Eastern Airways
    Air France
    Eurowings
    Emirates
    Bren

18. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Further to my post, according to Pythagorean geometry and my calculator, the hypotenuse/diagonal of 55cm and 40cm sides (typical airline bag restriction) should be 68cm.

The maximum dimensions of my mandolins all fall just within that length, with barely a mm to spare.

So if someone tries the dreaded hand luggage "frame" on your instrument, makes sure you pull the gigbag material tight and place it diagonally in the frame.

It is crazy that some airlines ban our slim lightweight little stringed companions when other passengers are shoving massive boxes you could live in overhead, but that's the way it is at Ryanair and others.
    Bren

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

I have flown many times to/from Europe, and a few times to New Zealand with my mandolin and often my mandola or short-scale banjo as well and never had a problem. I've always carried them on in addition to a small "personal item", usually my laptop bag. I've found that official policy and actual experience vary greatly, and even on flights that were completely full they were fine. The banjo and mandola both have a soft case, so I'll sling that over my shoulder while boarding so as not to make it glaringly obvious, and if it looks like they'll be short on overhead space I'll usually preempt any problems by politely asking a flight attendant if they would mind putting one or both instruments in the coat closet. Last time I ended on on United due to a last minute change, and I was definitely expecting difficulty there what with their recent antics, but while there were a few interesting aspects of that flight, the crew were all as nice as could be and the instruments were just fine. However, as others have said this is most definitely not within airline policy and this is just my experience from a risk I was willing to take. With the way things have been going in the world of commercial airlines we may be receiving more hassle in the future. Happy travels!
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

The use of 'dimensions' to determine what can / can't be taken on board is ridiculous - it should be about ''allowable volume''. What does it matter if an item is 6" longer,but the other dimensions are considerably smaller ?.

I'm pretty sure that any of us that have travelled by air have seen folk with backpacks of huge size, being allowed to take them on board. It seems to me that ''luggagey looking luggage'' is ok,but instrument cases,as i mentioned in a previous post,are classed as ''suitcases of a different genre'',& as such are to be consigned to the aircraft luggage bay - unless you're lucky,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

One can only imagine the delays and confusion if staff are expected to calculate volume (and customers are expected to politely agree with their assessment). Not sure if the average gate agent these days would know Pythagoras from pie'n'mash.

The LxWxD frame is there to Keep It Simple, I guess.

I've yet to follow through on my plan to get a custom mandolin/laptop bag made.
    Bren

From Bren - "....if staff are expected to calculate volume.." Well,they obviously don't do it now,that's why,in the past i've seen monstrous back packs being taken on board,far bigger that the ''allowed'' hand luggage size.

As i mentioned before,it seems to be more about it being an instrument case,regardless of size (within reason). Back packs = hand luggage - instrument cases = NOT hand luggage,something ''different'' & to be questioned,unless as i said,you happen to get lucky,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I recently purchased a fiberglass case for my octave mandolin. Anyone interested should check out the fiberglass cases made by Gary Price. http://www.fiberglasscase.com/

The O-Mando fits size-wise into his teardrop banjo case. I sent him the measurements of the instrument and he custom fit the case interior to it. He was great to work with and the quality of his case construction is top notch. The O-Mando teardrop case looks the same as the teardrop mandolin case pictured on his website. Also worth getting the TSA travel lock hasp installed.
    I feel comfortable knowing that if I was told that I could not carry it on board with me that checking it in at the gate would be safe. I highly recommend this case, it's worth the initial investment and like the saying goes "quality pays you back every day".

http://www.fiberglasscase.com/

I haven't flown internationally, but I have flown recently on major carriers that have international flights. Twice, I carried a mandolin on board without any issues. Three times I have chosen not to take a mandolin because the carriers on domestic flights are good at filling all the seats on most flights and it seems that most of the planes don't have room in the overhead storage for all the allowed baggage if all the seats are filled. Boarding early could cause your mandolin to be jam packed with heavy stuff. Mine was but it was in a hard case. Getting on late could result in a mandatory gate check. It's very nerve-racking to me to to not know what the mandolin situation will be. Anyway, whatever the airlines' policy, as a practical matter it depends on whether the plane is full.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I decided that I do not want to take a chance with damage to any of my "toys". Therefore, I bought a used Martin Backpacker. Looking back, I should not have sold my Travolin as it made a fine travel companion. I hope the Backpacker performs as well.
    I looked to no avail for a Sweet Pea, but none were to be found.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    The use of 'dimensions' to determine what can / can't be taken on board is ridiculous - it should be about ''allowable volume''. What does it matter if an item is 6" longer,but the other dimensions are considerably smaller ?.
    Ivan, I suspect that the dimensional restrictions (rather than volume) are there to ensure uniformity of baggage so that they can be nestled into the overhead bins efficiently. Volume alone is irrelevant if the items can't fill the space due to being irregularly shaped. Instrument cases which exceed the allowable length dimension will have to be placed in the overhead compartments in such a way that it makes it difficult to get other bags in there, unless they are soft bags that can be 'crushed' around the instrument case. This causes headaches for everyone on board, trying to fit their stuff around odd-shaped items. It's most efficient when the overhead bins are filled with rectangular bags, nestled side-by-side with virtually no void space left. Their policy is meant to promote uniformity with the baggage.

As a side note, this is one of my biggest pet peeves when flying. People seem to have no common sense when it comes to stowing their carry-ons. I see people all the time putting their rolling bags in sideways, when it would fill the space better to put them in lengthwise (i.e. with the top of the bag facing the aisle). I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen the flight attendants have to start checking bags because they're "out of room" in the overhead compartments, when it would have been quite easy to fit the items in there if people stowed their bags more intelligently. It also irks me when people shove their small bags overhead when they could fit under the seats (and then getting up halfway through the flight to open the overhead bins and rifle through their bags).

Anyway, I know that there's not much choice for storage when flying with an instrument case. But I can very easily understand why the airlines take a dimensional approach to baggage size, rather than simply volume.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Lynne and i are just back from Ireland. This year we went only from Boston to Shannon and back. Last year it was Boston to Shannon to Edinburgh to Dublin then back to Boston. All flights were Aer Lingus. There was a fiddle in a large back pack type case and a mandolin in a Calton. Never a question nor a problem carrying on the instruments along with an additional carryon.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Hi Tobin - I fully understand your point,but the vast majority of us have a very good idea as to what will fit & what won't. One of my jobs when i worked in our advanced composites dept. at work,was helping in the the designing & engineering of the aircraft baggage bins on our ATP aircraft & i know how deceptivley small they can look. Imagine my surprise on flying back from the USA in 1992,to be told by the steward to put my banjo in it's Mark Leaf Case in the baggage bin. It fit with room for 2 more !.

If the ruling that was passed in the US fairly recently allows for a guitar sized instrument to be taken on board,then a mandolin shouldn't be any trouble - provided that the check in clerk knows the rules of course !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

in canada the airlines used to be helpfull but there has been a crack down. they say they allow mandolins and fiddles but i have had major fights getting a manolin on twice. both times they keep saying no guitars, and i said this isn't a guitar. they are also increasingly difficult for handicapped issues. especially through montreal. if you can don't conect through montreal, go through toronto if you can. the staff are a lot more cooperative and a lot more educated as to the rules.

i the old days before the crack doen i flew with a harp in a full wood crate, for an extra $75 in luggage. it was a full sized 34 string folk harp. and put a large hurdy gurdy in the over head bin.

I'm travelling (for business) on a Thomson Airways flight tomorrow.

A holiday charter that just happens to be going directly to the relatively out-of-the-way Greek town where the engineering office that I need to meet at is located.

Their hand luggage statement online is uncompromising and so I'm not taking my mandolin.

I find this very tough. I've had a good run of playing every day for the last two weeks and my playing just improves all the time when I do that.

Then it falls back when I don't. The trip will consist of an hour or two of meetings and most of the rest of the two days working in my hotel room. Normally I would work a bit, then pick up my mandolin and play a bit.

C'est la vie but I just think it's not worth the hassle.

My mandolin bag fits very well in or over between cases in the overhead locker - the odd shape is actually an advantage.
    The only anxious moment is when some lunkheaded latecomer decide to start slamming their hardshell case in there to make space.
    Bren