Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki bowlback

Default Suzuki bowlback

A friend sent me a few photos of a mandolin she found in an antique shop this afternoon.

Bowlback, fairly ornate, looks (from photos) to be in lovely shape. The headstock says Suzuki & Co, Set. 1951. The label is again very ornate, says Kiso-Suzuki in large type, model #MR-150, Kiso Suzuki Violin Co., LTD.

Does anyone know anything about these? Comes with a case, and a highly favorable price. Her dad plays, but he is several hundred miles away.
    Last edited by Louise NM; May-27-2017 at 10:06pm.

Default Re: Yamaha bowlback

Where is the Yamaha coming from?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It's coming from my being an idiot!

Had the wrong Japanese instrument company on the brain. Changed the title.

Here's a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2826.jpeg 
Views:	500 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	157591  

5. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

As a bowlback fan, it would catch my eye, and I would want to try it.

It looks just like mine!
    I purchased mine new in 1977 (for, if I recall, $90)
    It is not my main mandolin now, but it is what I learned on.
    It's still fun to play.

The 1951 date on the head stock is likely when the company was established.
    In different times, I believe that there was Suzuki, and then Kiso Suziki Violin Co.
    I am not sure of the dates, though.

Joseph Baker

I'm holding out for a Harley Davidson bowlback!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Suzuki made a few different models during the same time periods...

Here's what mine looks like (1975):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	157595  
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

10. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

It really is pretty. Not sure yet whether she went back to buy it. Looked to be in very nice condition. Joseph, yours looks just like this one? I found pictures of a few different styles online.

Interesting to see yours, dhergert. Yours has a more modern, sleeker look to it, where as the one my friend found is more, for lack of a better word, old-world looking.

Multidon, would you settle for a Ducati?
    Last edited by Louise NM; May-28-2017 at 11:37pm. Reason: double post

My experience with these instruments is that they are fairly sturdily built. The sound can be a little thin, compared to other bowlbacks. If the price is really right, they're nice enough mandolins, certainly better than the Central European pawnshop bowlback that was my first mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0180.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	157612

"Joseph, yours looks just like this one? I found pictures of a few different styles online."Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0179.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	157613

Yes, it does.
    I have tried to post a picture of mine... I need a 12 year old to help me with this kind of thing... I might have even posted another picture of the back of the bowl...maybe.

Joseph Baker

14. The following members say thank you to Joseph Baker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    My experience with these instruments is that they are fairly sturdily built. The sound can be a little thin, compared to other bowlbacks. If the price is really right, they're nice enough mandolins, certainly better than the Central European pawnshop bowlback that was my first mandolin.
    Bob is very kind. Suzuki made lots of these in the 1970s. I owned one for a while. They are not very good instruments are over-built and the tone is not great, at least the ones I have played. If you can buy one for under $100 they might be OK but I think you can do much better say with a simple vintage American bowlback like Vega or Washburn.

OTOH the OP reports on one made in 1951 and that might be worth considering assuming it is cheap enough and the condition is good.

I believe that there are some Suzuki mandolins made more recently and available in Japan or Europe that might be worth considering. I have not played any of those but there are some of our European friends who have.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I believe that there are some Suzuki mandolins made more recently and available in Japan or Europe that might be worth considering. I have not played any of those but there are some of our European friends who have.
    I am one of the European Suzuki players and I really like my Suzuki M-60, that should be from the 80s or 90s.
    The cost of a new one is around 1000 Euro,and I wouldn't pay this much, but they pop up used for 300-400 and sound and play nice for that price.

- - - Updated - - -

I am one of the European Suzuki players and I really like my Suzuki M-60, that should be from the 80s or 90s.
    The cost of a new one is around 1000 Euro,and I wouldn't pay this much, but they pop up used for 300-400 and sound and play nice for that price.

Yes, those M-models — I think there is also an M-80 — seem to be much improved from the 1970s ones. I have a feeling they are not imported into the US.

I wonder if one of the admins can change the title(s) on this thread to read Suzuki and not Yamaha.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Looks just like mine that has no name. I've also seen these labeled as Ibanez.
    Mine plays nicely....a little thin on sound, but I strung it with TI mediums and it helped.
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

19. The following members say thank you to John Uhrig for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Uhrig View Post
    ...a little thin on sound, but I strung it with TI mediums and it helped.
    Usual bowl-back advice is to use extra-light strings. If you're using mediums, that testifies to the sturdy (or overbuilt) nature of the Suzuki bowl-backs.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The TI mediums are actually fairly light...10-15-21-33
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

Default Re: Suzuki bowlback

This was the mandolin I learned to play on and had it for years -- one of the 1970s models. it didn't age well, though. Neck twisted and a crack developed along the sound hole. I'd be a little leery, simply because you can't tell from a picture how the neck has aged. just a caveat.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Seen one on Reverb that was tempted to get. They appear to be cute. Unsure if a big guy with a belly can play one of these bowlbacks. Am trying to resist the temptation.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Looks like there about a dozen of these mandolins on reverb. Many are getting reduced in price. There is a reason for that. Read through this entire thread and you’ll see that Tsuzuki Mandolin’s get mixed reviews especially the ones that came over to the US in the 1960s and 1970s. OTOh you might luck out.

If you want to bowl back I would look for a reasonably priced vintage American one in playable condition.

As for playing it with a belly, I dealt with that in my early bowl back days. You can figure out a way to sort of tuck it under your arm. Of course, I know of quite a few players who eventually gave up and sold off there a bowl backs because they couldn’t deal with the bowl.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quite a few fine players I interviewed an article on old time mandolin for the Old Time Herald stared on one of these bowlbacks. Less impressively, I did, too. Pretty looking but dull sounding. I've owned several vintage American bowlbacks and all were much more responsive. (Just have to find one in good shape.)

27. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    Pretty looking but dull sounding. I've owned several vintage American bowlbacks and all were much more responsive. (Just have to find one in good shape.)
    Agreed. I had one for awhile and the way it sounded always seemed as if I had cotton in my ears. I sold it to a woman in France for about 3X what I paid for it. One Man's Fish is Another Woman's Poisson.

Hoarseness for Coarseness.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

29. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Saw two on Reverb for $200 or less, and one had a reduced price. Was tempted to ask for a video of someone playing them. After what y'all stated about dull sounds and reduced costs. Seems like both are wanting to get rid of them fast, so must be something amiss there.

Have a curiosity about bowlbacks in that they are more like the older fashion lutes that don't have the broken-neck look. Thought if could find a cheap one that played fairly good, I could carry it on the TerraTrike Rover recumbent that I ride, and could take it with me to church or park runs for an afternoon tune in the shade.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Hello,
    I'm new to the mandolin world and this forum.
    I recently bought a Suzuki 262 (1972) on ebay for 148 bucks. I wasn't expecting it to be in the condition it was, the vendor having warned me of a 'few scratches' and wear. Actually, it was nearly pristine and came in what was apparently the original case. I changed the strings and held my breath while I tuned it. The tuning machines were really stiff and closely spaced (probably intended for smaller hands). I was stunned by the sustain from such a small instrument.
    If I remember correctly, Suzuki had a big interest in music education for kids. I think this one was intended for Japanese school children.
    That would explain the tiny neck.

Hi, yes you are wright, there is European Suzuki institute in Italy that is music school for children established by Suzuki and this type of mandolin is not intended for playing like f Typ mandolin, is for tremolo playing like Violin
    Im from Dalmatia, Croatia and it is used for traditional music and in pairs
    https://youtu.be/fWewUTnNlb8?si=Q0IBFZbtQXKd1HzU