Thread: Repairing a Travelite case

Default Repairing a Travelite case

So, the first decent mando I ever got came with a Travelite-style case that was pretty beat. Even in that condition, it served me for another 7+ years, and as it started to finally give out, I decided to replace it with a real-deal Travelite (I really dig the light weight and protection).

Fast forward less than a year, and the real-deal Travelite has issues. Namely, the uppermost hinge has pulled off the case body (still attached to the top). It was attached with a couple of small screws that seem to just go into the styrofoam of the body. I guess the real holding power was supposed to be provided by the fabric that is glued over the body ( the hinges themselves are also just strips of fabric).

Has anyone else had this problem with a Travelite? If so, did you attempt to fix it? My preference would be repair, instead of the hassle of trying to send it back. After all, I don't know that any replacement would last any better, and in the meantime I would be case-less.

The problem isn't fatal, since the lid zippers on just fine even without the hinge. I've heard people complain about the longevity of the zipper before, but never this.

Thanks, guys!
    Mitch Russell

Default Re: Repairing a Travelite case

The Travelite cases seem to be foam held in a wooden ply 'form'. I've had my Travelite for over 9 years & i did have 'zipper' trouble.It wasn't a fault with the zipper,but the thin,gauzy material that the makers chose to put behind it. It frayed & the edges got caught in the zipper & it jammed. I removed it & it's been fine.

Right - your hinge problem !. Not 'difficult' to repair,but 'fiddly' - i've not done it but here's what i'd do. I'd use suitable sized Rawlplugs & 'pot' them into the side of the case using Araldite.

You need to remove the top/cover by unscrewing the screws holding the hinges, to be able to pull the cover back from the case. In fact,looking at my own T case,you might need to remove some of the screws holding the bottom case cover to the body of the case in order to be able to pull the case cover away from the body sufficiently. They will go back - i've done it. [I]The hinge that's ok - leave it as it is,the screws will go back . When you've got access to the faulty hinge area,carefully open out the screw holes to take the Rawlplugs - if you need to cut the plug to length - ok. Make sure that the holes line up with the 'other' hinge holes. Mix some Araldite adhesive,coat the plugs well with it,insert them into the holes & allow the adhesive to harden after wiping off any excess. Then, re-fit the hinges with the existing screws or slightly larger diameter ones.

All you've done is to replace the bad spot with a solid plug for the screws to go back into - in fact,while you're at it,you might beef up all the screw holes. As i said,it's not difficult,just a tad 'fiddly'. The latch on my T case came loose & i re-fitted that using Araldite, & it's as solid as a rock.

Take your time,''think before doing'' & it should be fine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.