Thread: Looking for advice- First mandolin purchase

Default Looking for advice- First mandolin purchase

Howdy MandolinCafe, and thanks for your time.

I'm about to buy my first mandolin, and while I've spent the past months reading these forums trying to absorb as much as I can and searching through dozens of threads of people asking a similar question, I wanted to ask for your thoughts.

I think I've narrowed my decisions down to a couple of mandos, but I wanted some advice from y'all based on my intended use and your accumulated expertise.

I play tenor banjo, so Irish tunes and the like will be my mainstay, but I'm really interested in learning medieval/renaissance music, and there's a good chance I'll want to learn some bluegrass as well.

This mandolin will be mobile. Besides just friend's houses and pubs for jams, there's a really strong chance it'll go camping with me and be my travel instrument for trips.

Budget is roughly $500, but if the right deal comes along I could fudge that a bit. That being said, coming in under wouldn't be a bad thing

The options I'm considering are:

Kentucky KM-150. Probably the most recommended beginner instrument I see. Cheapest option I'm likely to pick so if I put some wear and tear on the instrument it'll be the least painful. I'd be buying from a well-regarded site sponsor with good setups, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Cons would be it's not as nicer as the more expensive options both tone wise and aesthetically, but as a beginner most of the problems with how the instrument sounds are likely to be me.

Second is the Eastman 305. I got to play one of these and really enjoyed it, it felt and sounded like a well made instrument. The finish doesn't bother me, but I do kind of miss the binding on the neck.

Only cons I could think of otherwise would be that it's a bit costlier so if I ding it up I'll feel worse. Would the added cost be worth the added enjoyment playing it? Being new, setup would not be an issue either.

Third would be braving the waters of used mandolins. I figure for $500ish I could get a pretty decent used mando. Maybe an Eastman 505 or a different mandolin of equivalent quality(I defer to your knowledge here).

Cons of going this route are that the instrument could be worn a bit, and the setup could be questionable. This could be the costliest route too, so it might be a poor decision for an instrument I'll be lugging around a lot. Also, being a newbie I'll not be as experienced picking out a used one.

Right now I'm leaning mostly towards the 305. It seems to be great bang for the buck, and spending a bit more for a nicer instrument will likely pay off in enjoyment playing it. I will just have to be okay with living with any consequences of travelling with it. I do wonder about testing the used market though, and until FolkMusician gets them back in stock I've got time to consider my options.

All that being said, I'd be very grateful for your feedback or suggestions for instruments! Thank you

Default Re: Looking for advice- First mandolin purchase

I'd check out an oval hole mandolin if you're primarily playing Irish music. A flat top is often recommended, but my preference is for carved tops. I'd check out this JBovier A4 for $400. Maybe you could make a deal on it with the seller
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/111400#111400
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111400.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	157569

Also, you can do your own setup, or have it done for you for not too much money

Or, here's a used Eastman MD304 for $400
    https://reverb.com/item/5363897-eastman-md304-dark-wood

Name:	ecfipjgfvdpmmcmbydrf.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	157570

Here's an Eastman MD404 for $425 (with coupon code MEMORIAL15)
    https://reverb.com/item/5344523-east...-mandolin-mint

Name:	pwlok6xaxe7frxjcgp7r.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	157571

I personally would go for the JBovier or Eastman MD404. Better finish and better hardware than the Eastman 300 series

Here's a Morris Oval flat top for $550
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110632#110632

Name:	110632.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	157572
    Last edited by colorado_al; May-27-2017 at 1:20am.

I'd also agree with an oval hole in this case. I play Irish and folk too and I have myself an Eastman MD 504 strung up with GHS silk and bronze. I love it for the music I play, though to be honest I'd love it even if it were an F hole. But the general consensus on here tends to recommend oval holes for Irish trad etc etc. I'm not experienced enough to confirm that theory.

If you have already played an Eastman MD 305 and liked it, then maybe an Eastman is the way to go. The Kentucky is highly regarded here for a beginner instrument but as your budget is $500, I'd personally look for something a little better for the long term. The Eastman MD 305 doesn't have the binding on the neck sure, but it will still be a solid instrument and more importantly will still sound great. Some folks here even prefer the finish on the 300 series claiming it has more volume/punch. I can't confirm that personally, but I've seen the praise here for them so I doubt you could go wrong with one.

Note that if you're in the US, dealers usually sell off blemished Eastman mandolins for a good price. If you keep an eye out there maybe a chance of getting a good deal on a 300/400/500.

The options colorado_al picked out for you look pretty good, especially that Eastman MD 404. I can understand your reservations on second hand mandolins but if it's possible to see the mandolin in person it's a golden opportunity to check it. I've been burned buying sight unseen from someone who appeared to be an experienced restorer/luthier when I looked up his history. It was a banjo mandolin and I got a good deal, but when it arrived, the neck was horribly twisted and completely unplayable. Luckily though, I was able to send it back for a full refund. (This wasn't on the classifieds by the way, I'm in England and it was from a seller on eBay...I learnt the hard way! I don't mean to put further doubts in your head, just saying that if you go second hand, find out all you can about the seller and the mandolin. Then definitely arrange a viewing if it's agreeable. Or buy second hand from a reputable dealer with some kind of returns policy.)
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'd check out an oval hole mandolin if you're primarily playing Irish music. A flat top is often recommended, but my preference is for carved tops.
    I love both for that application, but at this price point, flattops offer the opportunity to buy an American made instrument constructed entirely of solid woods by small shops or independent builders: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110484#110484 . I started on a Mid-Missouri M0 -- unbound, mahogany back -- and think that it would shine on Irish, excel on Medieval/Renaissance, and suffice for learning bluegrass. It would make a great travel mandolin and a fine second voice should you do as many of us do and purchase others.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Used Eastman. I beat the hell out of my 315 guilt-free
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

sure sounds like the best fit will be a sound hole model A, and yer listed brands are spot on.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Korwen, whats your general location? Because the _best_ way to approach it is to visit the bricks-and-mortar store nearest you with a wallfull of mandos, not a guitar store with a couple of Eastmans and Kentuckys.
    I am going to go against the grain here in regards to the perennial "f-holes or oval-holes" debate. I am a primarily Celtic player with bluegrass influences, for many years I was waiting to get a good oval-hole because thats what I was supposed to want...eventually I found a good deal on a nicely handmade, carved top, roundhole beauty...and after a few years was thoroughly dissatisfied. I switched to an Eastman 505 in 2010 and have happily played it ever since. I would suggest that the choice between f-holes and round-holes should be influenced not so much by what pigeonhole described the genre(s) you approach, as by your individual playing style. If you like that soft, unhurried, melodic Ren-faire music, an oval-hole will excel for that. If like me you tend to play hard, fast, loud and aggressive--I play with a roomful of Cape Breton fiddlers with somewhat of a 'devil-take-the-hindmost' philosophy, (but they are nice to newcomers and will lay back and ask them to lead a set)--something with f-holes and all the volume possible is actually ideal. I just find that the sonic attack is stronger, and the extra sustain of an oval-hole doesnt get much use if you play everything fast. With my oval-hole, it just felt like I would play a note, then wait to hear it before playing the next one. After awhile you will probably decide you need at least one of each, but one 8-string at a time, welcome to the club.

I have an Eastman 315 that's my "beater," but it's very well made a sounds far better than the $429 I paid for it (clearance at a big box store, so I had to do some set up). The tuners, bridge, and tailpiece are lesser quality, but all functional. I take it camping, to the beach, and to work if I think I might have a chance to pick some. I always get compliments on it's tone, which isn't quite as rich as my Collings MT or Silverangel, but is pretty darn close. So, if you like the 305, buy it and play the hades out of it, and don't look back! Of course, the other suggestions above are excellent as well.

Not to muddy the waters any, but you may also consider a KM 505 if you can find one used, or (even better) a KM 900, which often pop up used for 700-ish. The 900 might be too nice to abuse guilt free, but the 500/505 (505 give you a radiused fret board) would not be, IMO. Breedlove ovals (pre Two Old Hippies' purchase) are a great value, and can be found in oval and f holed models for 600-ish used as well. As a beginner, it's tough to know what you like, but you'll likely adapt to whatever you buy and play without issue, as long as it's set up well. The 150 or 305 from a sponsor is the least risky way to go...
    Chuck

Whatever you decide, don't sell it when you decide you want a nicer one. Keep it for dodgier locations.

As for getting dinged up, I played a Gibson F5G that was from the eighties. Believe me, that mandolin was well used, with play wear on the top and a hundred or so dings and dents, many where the back binding would be if it had any. It was still a very desirable instrument, and if you banged it into something, you wouldn't know which was the new damage.

I can recommend a blem if you can find something you like. The blem is very minor.

There are also a lot of people selling as they move up the ladder. I sold a six month old MD 505 I got from TMS. Still had the fine TMS setup.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

One thing in your post I disagree with. Just because an instrument is new doesn't mean it will be properly set up, depends on where you buy it. I would say the odds are better that an used one would have a better set up unless the owner bought it to learn on, gave up, and now has it for sale. In that case set up is anybodies guess.

Well call it fate or pure dumb luck, but a day or so after I posted this someone put an Eastman 505 for sale on Craigslist locally, for $500.

It was the first owner, purchased new from a local shop in 2014. He bought it with the intention to learn and never did, so it sat in its case for years. And now I own it!

Name:	Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	789.9 KB 
ID:	157614

Congrats on the new mando. I love my Eastman mandolin.
    2016 Eastman MD515-CS

Beautitful find, Eastmans are nice!

I'd at least get Rob Meldrem's set up e book and check your action measurements. A feeler gauge from any auto parts store will run you less than ten bucks. Then you can check to see if a setup is in order. Get a six inch metal ruler too.

An MD 505 was my first mandolin. It was plenty good enough to get me hooked.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Congrats on the new mandolin. You can't go wrong with anMD505.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Nice score, very nice mandolin at a fair price. You should enjoy it. I think the Eastman's have a little sweeter tone than the Kentucky 150 so should be a good fit for you.

Score!

Enjoy the "new" mando! I've got an MD 315 and really love it!