Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding an F-style mandolin

Default Holding an F-style mandolin

I'm having trouble figuring out how to hold my F-style mandolin. If I put a strap on and attach it where the tuners are, it gets a little bit (not a lot) in the way of my left hand, but it at least holds the mandolin in a balanced manner. If I attach the strap to the scroll, the mandolin hangs poorly with the neck wanting to point down. Meanwhile, the pointy thing sticking out of the body on the bottom side, where is that supposed to go? It pokes my leg and I can't figure out a comfortable way to hold this thing. It's a monster compared to my old A-style I used to have.

Default Re: Holding an F-style mandolin

Sharon Gilchrist shows how and explains why (03:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfo3j7aFcf0

She explains absolutely nothing regarding my questions in that video.

4. The following members say thank you to sbhikes for this post:

sbhikes, maybe you need to adjust the length of your strap to better place the F 5. I know I had to do that when switching from an A to an F model. Good luck.

Well, look again and she will explain how the strap over the left shoulder, when taught, gives you just the right amount of tension to keep the neck and fingerboard at just the right angle for playing. She will also mention, on second viewing, how the point at the bottom should fit nicely - nice and snuggy-wuggy - into - or onto - the thigh. Best of luck ...

The first minutes of this video do address the positioning specifically.

----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Hey, Explorer, totally off-topic, but your McNally Ukulele strumstick, is that tuned with the strings going low to high (no high string in front)? I just sent an email to them day before yesterday asking if they can be tuned in 5ths and with the lowest string first, but they have not replied.

So I understand how you are supposed to sit and all that, but when the strap attached at the scroll, it doesn't have any stability. It just wants to fall over. How do they get it to work? I've got it tight as can be, but the mandolin doesn't want to say upright. He can even pretty much let go and move around and the neck stays pointed up. Mine will just want to point at the floor if I let go. The strap is tight and the fabric does not slip easily, but there is no balance. These F-styles are pretty heavy or something. I didn't have as much trouble with my A-style.

Rest the point on your left thigh, and hunch over a bit. Fits just right.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    So I understand how you are supposed to sit and all that, but when the strap attached at the scroll, it doesn't have any stability. It just wants to fall over. How do they get it to work? I've got it tight as can be, but the mandolin doesn't want to say upright. He can even pretty much let go and move around and the neck stays pointed up. Mine will just want to point at the floor if I let go. The strap is tight and the fabric does not slip easily, but there is no balance. These F-styles are pretty heavy or something. I didn't have as much trouble with my A-style.
    So, just to clarify, if you have the strap attached to the scroll and hold the mandolin over your bed, your mandolin is so neck-heavy that it will flip so the neck is pointing down?

If that's the case, then it certainly seems problematic.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?

Yes, F-styles will often be peghead-heavy. It helps to add weight on the other end to balance it out, like the addition of a ToneGard, armrest, etc. This, coupled with a strap that has plenty of friction over your shoulder, will prevent any tilting, dipping, diving, or other issues.

But if you don't want any other stuff clamped on to your mandolin, there's not a whole lot you can do except move the strap to the peghead. I've tried it like that and I absolutely hate it. Aside from the strap getting in my way, it also keeps me from moving the neck as freely.

Keeping the body of the mandolin pinned with the forearm of your picking hand is the best way to keep an F-style pointing in the right direction whilst using a strap.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Is your problem sitting or standing? Sitting is easy, just rest a point against each leg as shown in the video.

Blog Entries

I have a sorta same problem with an A mandolin with not enough clearance under the fretboard extension to get a strap there. Here is what I am doing. Photo is worth 1k words.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap attach head.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	157549
    1. a leather thong tied between tuners and back of peghead in a loop, up and away from nut (the dark one above).
    2. another leather thong passes through the loop and is attached to strap (the lighter one above).
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I attach it at the scroll..sling it over the right shoulder,,and as mentioned above,,the mandolin is controlled by using your right forearm against the body,,

Hey, Explorer, totally off-topic, but your McNally Ukulele strumstick, is that tuned with the strings going low to high (no high string in front)? I just sent an email to them day before yesterday asking if they can be tuned in 5ths and with the lowest string first, but they have not replied.
    Yes, CGDA (C3 G3 D4 A4) is from low-to-high just like on a mandola or tenor guitar or tenor banjo, just as a mandolin or violin is tuned GDAE (G3 D4 A4 E5) from low-to-high. I changed the strings, after measuring the original strings with a micrometer, and then figuring out what strings would give me the new pitches at the original pitches' tension. Additionally, I hammered a piece of thin brass sheet to match the curved bend of the body where the strings cross the edge, and wrapped it in felt, to keep the new strings from biting into the edge. The original strings have a cloth/felt winding at that end foe the same purpose, but it's just easier to use standard loop-end strings, or to buy ball-end strings and to pop the ball out, in order to get the right gauges than to try to find a string manufacturer for an oddball set with the windings.

I remember I also had to widen the gaps in the bridge where the strings pass, because the bass strings were larger. i just used the nes strings as a "file" to widen the gap.

Okay... I had an email from a previous inquiry, and the strings I used were A .010 plain steel, D .017 plain steel, G .026. phosphor bronze wound, C .040 phosphor bronze wound.

----

This was initially an experiment in a travel mandola, but it led to me using it on trips while working my way through the Mel Bay's Complete Tenor Banjo Method and Mel Bay's Tenor Banjo Melody Chord Playing System, which gave me a huge practice and knowledge base regarding reading music on the mandola and tenor guitar. I also have a 4-string chromatic Strumstick (now discontinued), retuned via the same steps to octave mandolin tuning, and upon which I am currently working my way through Marilynn Mair's The Complete Mandolinist, in addition to working FFcP scales starting at the fifth fret, and slowly working my way towards the tuners to slowly stretch my hand/fingers as I go.

Whatever path you choose, good luck!
    ----

Love mandola?

18. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    So, just to clarify, if you have the strap attached to the scroll and hold the mandolin over your bed, your mandolin is so neck-heavy that it will flip so the neck is pointing down?

If that's the case, then it certainly seems problematic.
    Yeah, it's really neck-heavy. So even with a good strap that doesn't slip, it'll pull my shirt. This is sitting or standing (standing is much worse.) If I put the strap on and just hold it by the strap, the neck end will want to point down. It's the heaviest part, I guess.

Sounds like a neck-heavy mandolin is a thing. Guess I have to put the strap up high.

Thanks for the info about the strumstick! I have the basic D strumstick but those big frets are pretty hard to reach so I end up capoing it on the third fret just to be able to play it. I take it backpacking where it's such a long instrument that it gets banged on rocks and trees when I hike. Thought a smaller one stringed up like a mandolin would be way more fun.

So I understand how you are supposed to sit and all that, but when the strap attached at the scroll, it doesn't have any stability. It just wants to fall over. How do they get it to work? I've got it tight as can be, but the mandolin doesn't want to say upright.
    I'm going to guess that you don't have the neck tilted up at a high enough angle.

With any reasonable amount of friction from a strap, the higher the angle of the neck, the more stable the instrument will be, in reducing that falling-over tendency. The bottom point resting against the thigh helps while seated, but it's mainly the high angle on the neck that keeps it stable.

P.S. A Tone-Gard helps, because it adds a little weight at the bottom of an F-style mandolin, but it's just a small help. Mainly it's about getting enough angle on the neck, and not trying to play with it pointing sideways like an electric guitar.

These F-styles are pretty heavy or something. I didn't have as much trouble with my A-style.
    That's one of the main reasons I prefer A style mandolins. They're overall lighter and much less headstock heavy.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Blog Entries

And here is another way that works for me:

Name:	strap attach head 2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	157551
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I'll second the use of a Tone Gard. It adds weight and provides friction (resisting the tendency of the headstock to fall). Then I use my right forearm to do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    And here is another way that works for me:

Name:	strap attach head 2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	157551
    I will try that. I was tying it around at the nut.

OK, this is heresy so many, but I always install a strap pin on the heel of my mandolins--both A and F styles.

I sling it over my left shoulder and it hangs perfectly--standing or sitting--without having to make any adjustments, hold it up with my left hand, or clench it with my right.

Works for me, and although I try to take very good care of my instruments, unblemished resale value is never my primary concern. I play the the dang things and I want them to feel comfortable ... for me.

As a bonus on the F, I think the instrument looks better without a strap obscuring the scroll, too.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

26. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    OK, this is heresy so many, but I always install a strap pin on the heel of my mandolins--both A and F styles.

I sling it over my left shoulder and it hangs perfectly--standing or sitting--without having to make any adjustments, hold it up with my left hand, or clench it with my right.

Works for me, and although I try to take very good care of my instruments, unblemished resale value is never my primary concern. I play the the dang things and I want them to feel comfortable ... for me.

As a bonus on the F, I think the instrument looks better without a strap obscuring the scroll, too.
    ooo. get out.

28. The following members say thank you to Bad Monkey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    ooo. get out.
    Ha! - what's a strap pin?

Hey, so I realized I could loop the end of my strap around the little curlie-cue on the headstock. That gets it out of the way of my hand and allows for better balance. I can sit or stand comfortably again.