Thread: Thomastik strings for MANDOCELLO?

Default Thomastik strings for MANDOCELLO?

Though the TI website doesn't list them, JustStrings lists a mandocello set. I am thinking it's probably an OM set repackaged. But an .042 seems awfully light to me for the C string. Has anyone tried these on a +/- 25" scale mandocello? Note: I just acquired an Eastman F-hole mandocello, so, naturally, over the next year, I will be trying different strings.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Default Re: Thomastik strings for MANDOCELLO?

Hey Al!
    I think a .042 is way too light for a 25" at C2. You should checkout strings at emando.com. Not Thomastik, but several good choices, including flatwounds.
    http://emando.com/shop/strings_cello.htm

Stewart from emando.com says
    Soapbox time: I like a lot of things about the Eastman mandocellos, but I don't like the factory string spacing, nor do I care for the super-light C strings. I think it's well worth the $75 or so it would cost to get a new nut and saddle with the string pairs slotted a little tighter—and while you're at it, you can get the C-string slots cut for a proper C of .070–.074 gauge.
    He sells a flatwound set, that I think are the D'addario XL Chromes. He recommends the "Normal" with the .075 C2. If you look at the D'addario EJ78 they have a C2 of .074 in Phosphor Bronze.
    If you don't want to recut your mandocello nut, you could go with the Light version.

All of his mandocello sets can be done with ball end or loop end strings. I'm not sure which the Eastman mandocello takes.

Best, Al

Edit, I just checked Juststrings.com and they list the thomastik mandocello as having a .070 C2. I think some of the confusion may stem from different naming conventions for Europe and USA.

This is the set you want, if it has the correct string ends for your instrument. You would likely still have to recut the nut for the larger string sizes.
    http://www.juststrings.com/toi-1804.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	157547

Here's an old thread about this:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...string-options
    It seems that the Mandocello players all used this Thomastik set
    Last edited by colorado_al; May-26-2017 at 11:31am.

Hi Al, and thanks.

I have also heard about the string spacing not being optimal, though it's basically the same as my Martin. After playing for just a few hours, however, I think a new nut is in order. Luckily, a local builder, Brain Burtenshaw, can do that for me quite painlessly.

I also took a look at the D'Addario chromes as a possibility. But, I think I will give emando first shot. (Oh, for future reference, the Eastman takes loop-end strings)

Thanks, as well for the link to the other thread. I suspect I will use these strings for a few weeks to get my finger strength up to where it needs to be for that .074 set, but I think I am good to go with the new nut and try some flatwounds. Hopefully, I won't lose too much of that nice "edge" to the tone. If so, well, that is why they make so many different kinds of strings

Thanks for clarifying re the Thomastiks, as well. I will also put them on my list of strings to try out. I use them on two of my mandos, and used to use them on my Eastman mandola, though I recently switched back to D'Addario for that instrument (for the Trinity mandola, however, I still use the TI's).

And, finally, thanks very much for your input: it's very useful, and I appreciate it.

Have a great day

The "other" Al (in California)

Blog Entries

I have used D'Addario J78 (now EJ78) strings on all my mandocellos since the beginning. The discussion of emando makes me think I'll check that source out. I wonder if anyone cares to comment on just why the Thomastiks are so expensive? If you can get them for say $80 USD a set they would still be over four times the cost of a set of EJ78s. Are they really a significantly better quality set or just a lower production volume ergo higher priced set of strings?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie, it is common knowledge that TI strings are expensive because they are handmade, one at a time, by master craftsmen in a tiny shop in Hamburg, and, in terms of tone, quality, and longevity, by far the best strings ever made by the human race.

Well, they are high quality. I have yet to have one fail on me, although, in truth, I can count on one hand the number of strings that have failed on me, at least prematurely failed, in the last ten years. And I use them on three mandos, one mandola, and an electric bass. My banjo, three guitars, second mandola, etc., use other brands. So, by that measure, yes, they are as good as it gets, but I cannot say better than the competition.

Tone, of course, is subjective. I like them when I want a richer, more subtle tone. Or in other words, not so "bright" a tone. Some would say a "dead" tone. However, I have used other brands of flatwounds, both on electric mandolin, and on mandola, with similar results.

Longevity? Yes and no. I had one set of D'Addario flatwounds on a mandola which sort of disintegrated earlier than I suspected (meaning after a few months), but the D'addarios on my electric mandolin, which I don't play all that much, are at least three years old, and doing just fine. Not much of a sample size from which to draw conclusions. Overall, at least on mandos, they do seem to keep their tone longer than round-wound strings, for sure. But I suspect this might be largely due to their being flatwounds, and not necessarily being TIs.

In truth, I think it's probably a bit of snobbery which helps keep the prices high. Then again, at least from my experience, though the difference is not necessarily all the great, they are a unique product, and, for mandolin, I am pretty stuck on them. For mandola, on the Trinity, I am as well, but on the Eastman, I am still experimenting.

Are they worth the extra $$$? Logically, probably not. But, by the same token, my Martin HD28, which I acquired some 38 years ago, was overpriced. and new ones are still overpriced. Unless, of course, it gives one more of the sound one wants than the competition. For some, that is priceless.

Blog Entries

I'd like to know what Thomastiks cost in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    I'd like to know what Thomastiks cost in Europe.
    Not cheap, if this is any indication:

https://www.thomann.de/be/thomastik_...struments.html

Al

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Not cheap, if this is any indication:

https://www.thomann.de/be/thomastik_...struments.html

Al
    That is $52.29 American Dollars and it seems they include the VAT (tax). JustStrings.com sells them for $64.99. TI 174w - Mandola string set.

You'd think we could get them for a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    That is $52.29 American Dollars and it seems they include the VAT (tax). JustStrings.com sells them for $64.99. TI 174w - Mandola string set.

You'd think we could get them for a little less.
    It may have to do with whether or not TI utilizes a single distributor in the US to handle their products. Back in the 70's, Martin used to use a single distributor in Japan, and the lack of competition significantly inflated the price of their products in Japan.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I've used the Thomastiks on my mandocello on and off for years, depending on the tone I'm looking for.I love them. Softer volume, but nice rich round tone, not metallic sounding. Easy fretting. I don't mind the cost because they give me exactly what I want. They do last well, also. Not enough to make up the cost difference, but long enough I'm not bummed. It's a true mandocello set, not a repurposed OM set

11. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    I've used the Thomastiks on my mandocello on and off for years, depending on the tone I'm looking for.I love them. Softer volume, but nice rich round tone, not metallic sounding. Easy fretting. I don't mind the cost because they give me exactly what I want. They do last well, also. Not enough to make up the cost difference, but long enough I'm not bummed. It's a true mandocello set, not a repurposed OM set
    Thanks, Charlieshafer. And I have no doubt that I will get around to trying out the TIs. From what I have heard, a set from Emando.com, based D'Addario "chromes," should come somewhere in the middle between standard round-wound bronze and the more mellow tone of the TIs. They will be next on my list (expecting them in the mail this weekend), and after a few months, I will no doubt try a set of the TIs. While I sometimes get a "hankering" for that bright sound, I generally prefer a smoother one. One of the fun things about a new instrument is trying out new strings

UPDATE. Well, I have been playing the set of emando.com light mandocello strings (flatwound) for a few days now, and I am quite pleased. They sound pretty much as I imagine a set of TIs would sound, and they play very nicely. My only regret is that I didn't order the heavier set initially -- the C2 string, especially, needs to be heavier. This is not a surprise. Not wanting to trash a brand new set of strings, I ordered a pair of D"Aaddario Chrome flatwounds .075, and will re-cut the slot accordingly. I will order the heavier emando set next time.

As far as the string spacing, whether it is the width between the pairs, or the distance between the strings on each pair, thus far, I don't really have any complaints. Of course, your experience may be different. But for now, except for modifications to fit the heavier strings, I will keep the original nut.

Did I mention they included an extra bridge with the 'cello? Nice touch.