Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous MAS

Blog Entries

Default Ridiculous MAS

Many years ago I found a Lyon & Healy model A on the classifieds. At the time you didn't see very many of them. The asymmetrical two pointer. I had been lusting for one for many years prior and even had my MAS budget coffee can full. When opportunity met preparedness, boom. I called.

The fellow said my call came in a couple of seconds after he had posted the ad!

I love it. I play it often. It is my go to mandolin for classical. Jacob Reuven even smiled when he tried it. When I play it in public sometimes folks come up to ask me about it.

Of course I still think it is one of the most beautiful mandolins in the world. My blood pressure still goes up whenever I see one for sale.

That is the crazy part. I see more of them these days, several in the last three months in the classifieds, and I want them. I read the ads closely. I compare them to mine as to condition and wear. I am so tempted to get one. Get all of them. I feel so vulnerable just owning one. Totally ridiculous. Totally nuts. I say to myself I need another "just in case". I say to myself I should get them to keep them out of the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate them as much as I do. Maybe its just the momentum of wanting one for all those years, I seem to be still shopping long after I made the purchase.

For the record, they are beautiful to look at, easy to play with that short scale, and if in good condition can sound great, really great. Strung with Thomastik strings the sound is just angelic. They appear to be holding their price because the average of the prices I seem them at is identical to what I paid years ago.

I have to learn to appreciate the flowers without indulging the desire to pick them.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

2. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Default Re: Ridiculous MAS

Well said, I love the way they look and wish I had one, but I am to the age of thinking of selling and not buying.

Why did I say that I am always dreaming of buying.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I have to learn to appreciate the flowers without indulging the desire to pick them.

But there's that one empty vase yearning for the right flower......just sayin'...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

===========

The real question is - when is MAS not ridiculous? Do most of us really NEED a closet full of mandolins? The virtuoso who plays and records regularly in several different styles of music, would NEED an arsenal like that - but most of us just buy them because we love them. Is it a sickness? Yes, probably - but life is too short not to indulge once in a while. To me - as long as you can put a roof over your head, food on the table, make sure that the bills are paid, and keep peace in the family, there is little reason not to treat yourself every once in a while . . . even if, on the surface, it does seem a bit ridiculous.

Jeff - G'wan … show us a picture (pant-pant) ...

From the looks of the 'entire staff', it looks like you might be running out of vases.

And in terms of virtuoso's having a need for multiple instruments, Tim Connell only has one, but he sure knows how to use it.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

I've had the same urge on something I own and treasure that's no longer made. "I really should get another - what if..."

Maybe it's wanting to re-experience the moment or just xAS but in the end I don't believe owning two would be twice the joy.

A buddy of mine received a PRS guitar as a gift back when they were rare. He proceeded to buy 8-10 of them. He admitted afterward that the first one was never as special as it once was.

I dunno. I still shop it. Can't stop it.

Jeff, take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Or, maybe there is no cure.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

For the record, they are beautiful to look at, easy to play with that short scale
    But what if the longer scale is even better, Jeff?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

The longer scale would have to be better, from my perspective. I've caught myself lusting after the mandola version, but not the short scale mandolin. I made that mistake once, with a bowlback. The sound is nice, but what use is that if I can't play the darn thing? Live and learn.

Jeff, your post makes you sound like a borderline hoarder. Maybe it is a cry for help? Next time you see an ad, step away from your phone, or better, use it to call a 12 step program for that. ;-)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Hey Jeff,
    Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect paintings and I could go on and on and on.....
    I collect wooden musical instruments and have been intrigued by them since I was a kid. Dulcimers, mandolins, guitars, ukuleles, Tablas, Djembes, whistles, conches, pan flutes and on and on..
    For me the fascination has been the appreciation of the skills and dedication of the luthiers. The dedicated hours upon choosing and crafting select woods to build awesomely beautiful 3 dimensional sculptures we call musical instruments for the creative use by appreciative players throughout the world. And these instruments bring people together in harmony, peace and comfort. Even non players look at these beautiful inspiring pieces of art with smiles on there faces and enjoy plucking there strings or drumming a beat!
    The instruments bring out beauty through the shine and display of their wood grains or polished surfaces or whatever they have been delightfully crafted from. Let's not be guilty of MAS and let's just simply enjoy the music making and sharing of it with the people around us. This promotes life and takes nothing away from it and supports those dedicated to the fine art of instrument building. The more MAS the better! The more MAS epidemic the more music which is rapidly being drooped in our schools. The more music the more peace and harmony across the globe. What this world needs in indeed more music....we need these instruments....
    Best, Barry

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barry Canada For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Jeff - G'wan … show us a picture (pant-pant) ...
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...chmentid=79165

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    The longer scale would have to be better, from my perspective.
    Yea, I am the other way. Big fan of the short scale. I like how compact the instrument feels, not like weight on the end of a stick. It feels like I have more comfortable control of the instrument.

But there are many that would agree with you.

Jeff, your post makes you sound like a borderline hoarder. Maybe it is a cry for help? Next time you see an ad, step away from your phone, or better, use it to call a 12 step program for that.
    Borderline? Not according to folks who visit my house and see the accumulation.

There is a point in every friendship or relationship, the big reveal.

"I've got something to tell you. Something that I have not revealed yet for fear you might judge me before you got to know me."

"Yea, what."

"I've have a prison record. I've done time for assault with a deadly weapon. Oh, and I have 26 cats, 24 of which are indoor cats."

"Oh thank God. I thought you were going to say you had nine mandolins, because I only have seven."
    Last edited by JeffD; May-26-2017 at 3:03pm.

The entire staff
    funny....

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

....Of course I still think it is one of the most beautiful mandolins in the world. My blood pressure still goes up whenever I see one for sale.

That is the crazy part. I see more of them these days, several in the last three months in the classifieds, and I want them. I read the ads closely. I compare them to mine as to condition and wear. I am so tempted to get one. Get all of them. I feel so vulnerable just owning one. Totally ridiculous. Totally nuts. I say to myself I need another "just in case".....
    Jeff, I completely understand. That's the way I feel about F-4s.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Jeff, take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Or, maybe there is no cure.
    Yeh Buddy- I've got MAS and don't want it I NEED it, also I've got a case of CAS, there is something wrong there I've recently bought a 70's ugly Kool green interior Pag case, a newer red Pag case, a 90's red Pag case, a newer green Pag case a 1929 Shaped F-5 case a circa 1938 Rectangular F-5 Geib case in perfect condition! I traded a Gibson flattop for about a 1916 Red Corduroy interior M&W rectangular case. Bought a Cromwell G-6 and got a trade in the works with the Dawg for an old mid 30's F-5."hope that one works out"..Yep I've got a problem I just tell the wife they're all investments that are in hand and ya can enjoy, Hey they don't make the old ones anymore and Paganoni who makes a Killer replica 5 case pry won't be making them forever There are worse ways to spend $$$$ and ya can't take it with you.

I agree - there is as much in music - were we only to allow it.
    Last edited by catmandu2; May-26-2017 at 4:03pm.

..." Oh, and I have 26 cats, 24 of which are indoor cats."

Jeff. Ahem. You are right. It is the most beautiful. From the headstock to the tailpiece. Congratulations.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Jeff, you are normal IMHO. I have 4 bowlbacks and still look at the classifieds and ebay for others - and try not to buy any more. They are just so unique and beautiful, and fun to play. "I am powerless over my MAS." I just try to keep it "window shopping."

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Reminds me of those jokes about being granted three wishes.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Hey Jeff,
    Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect paintings and I could go on and on and on.....
    I collect wooden musical instruments and have been intrigued by them since I was a kid. Dulcimers, mandolins, guitars, ukuleles, Tablas, Djembes, whistles, conches, pan flutes and on and on..
    For me the fascination has been the appreciation of the skills and dedication of the luthiers. The dedicated hours upon choosing and crafting select woods to build awesomely beautiful 3 dimensional sculptures we call musical instruments for the creative use by appreciative players throughout the world. And these instruments bring people together in harmony, peace and comfort. Even non players look at these beautiful inspiring pieces of art with smiles on there faces and enjoy plucking there strings or drumming a beat!
    The instruments bring out beauty through the shine and display of their wood grains or polished surfaces or whatever they have been delightfully crafted from. Let's not be guilty of MAS and let's just simply enjoy the music making and sharing of it with the people around us. This promotes life and takes nothing away from it and supports those dedicated to the fine art of instrument building. The more MAS the better! The more MAS epidemic the more music which is rapidly being drooped in our schools. The more music the more peace and harmony across the globe. What this world needs in indeed more music....we need these instruments....
    Best, Barry
    Absolutely - it could have been golf ...

25. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

BiggT 

Complimenti, Jeff - A real beauty. Fascination with that model is totally understandable - mutual, even. I had a look at your Washburn Bowlback as well (#17) - very similar with "my" A. Galiano. Does yours have dotted fret markers on the upper side of your fingerboard? Mine doesn't - had to resort to using dabs of fingernail polish. Wonderful collection.

The collection of things of beauty and things we find interesting is a deep rooted human characteristic, if we deny it too long we suffer!
    To avoid serious damage to the species, there are the brave amongst us who make sure the collection gene is healthy!
    Sadly, I'm not able to exercise that in the instrument field as I would really like to!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

28. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

I have three really fine instruments from Collings. I did not plan to have the same maker, it just happened that I traded a guitar and needed a mandola and now I have three instruments. And I only need two. But sometimes I lust for that 'other one'. That oval hole A model. It has a different sound. And, hey I'd then have the whole set! Right?

I do love the sound of different mandolins. And that could be a collectors' opportunity. But I then work at collecting SKILLS rather than STUFF. This attitude puts me a little more towards a 'grounded' outlook.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

31. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post: