Thread: Collings MT0

Default Collings MT0

Hello

I've seen a Collings MT0 up for sale that I could get for around £1,500. It looks like it's had a few dings and chips here and there, but other than that looks pretty good. I can't really try it out as I'm left handed so I'm thinking of buying it and converting it.

I think it has symmetrical bracing which should be fine for conversion.

I'll be using it as an all rounder for Americana, Scottish, Irish and a bit of European.

Does this sound like a good deal?

What are the pros and cons of playing one?

Default Re: Collings MT0

BTW apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum!

I have an MTO. I find it is easier to hear when I am playing, as the sound doesn't project in the same way as do my MT or MF with the "f" holes. When playing one-on-one with dread playing friends it holds its own. In other settings I have heard people tell me they have a hard time hearing me play. In the same situations, I have been told the MT and MF are clearly present. I tend to play the MTO when I am practicing and on my own. I really enjoy playing it...there is a ring and resonance to the instrument that reminds me of Martin guitars I have owned.

All that said...in your hands and playing style, it could be an entirely different beast. Look through the forum to see if there are any MTO owners near you. You could also check the Collings social group that is part of the Cafe (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=6). It is a fine instrument and I have enjoyed owning it. Good luck with your search.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Seem like a good price for an MT0 and they are wonderful sounding mandolins that should do just what you want. I don't think the conversion to left handed will hurt the sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'm a lefty and I normally take a friend along to play it whilst it's right handed, or you could do as I have done and teach yourself a few tunes for you to play right handed.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Thanks for that guys.

Russ, I was hoping this model would be loud as I thought I had read before but must have got the models mixed up.

I'm looking for an all rounder with good tone, volume and probably above all playability. Sounds like the MT0 does two out of three, which as the chubby guy once sang ain't bad.

G7MOF

Unfortunately for me I live in a rural area about 100 miles away from the nearest city. With also being a leftie it usually means buying one blind, but in saying that I've had some good luck over the years, but i tend to do some thorough research before buying.

Asking you experts on here should help with that!

I think the MTO is an excellent mandolin, and quite versatile. That is a great price as well. I'd jump on that deal!

Quote Originally Posted by leftus maximus View Post
    Thanks for that guys.

Russ, I was hoping this model would be loud as I thought I had read before but must have got the models mixed up.

I'm looking for an all rounder with good tone, volume and probably above all playability. Sounds like the MT0 does two out of three, which as the chubby guy once sang ain't bad.
    Playability can be had with most any mandolin, the tone is what I feel is important and these seem to be consistently good.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have an MTO (that I love) - I think for the type of music you listed an MTO will be a great match. I've had mine since September last year (bought it second hand online). I haven't found a single "con" about it. I find that Collings builds a very consistent instrument, so the fit and finish are top notch, as are the playability and sound. I've been extremely happy with my decision. At the time I was also looking at a Weber Bitterroot oval, having had several Webers over the years. I went with the Collings to try something new and it has not let me down.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I got the mandolin for £1420. Should arrive through the next week. Looks like it's got a few dings and cosmetic marks but that doesn't really bother me as I'll mark it plenty myself, as I do with all my instruments. Got the rush of blood that comes with a serious bit of shopping. Now for a serious cull to pay for it!

12. The following members say thank you to leftus maximus for this post:

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Nice! That is a great price for a UK purchase. Let us know how you like it when it shows up!

I agree with Jill. Congratulations. It's a great instrument with a wonderful tone. Very sure you'll be happy with her...
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

That's great thanks a lot. I pretty much bought it on the recommendation of the guys on here as I needed a more professional instrument and something I won't need to replace for a long time.

Now comes the real tension because I've got to wait a week for it to arrive, then I'll need a trip to the big smoke to get it converted to leftie, but it'll make sure it gets cleaned and set up properly.

I've got a Taylor 414 in there now getting ready for sale to help finance it, plus I'll be doing the same with a Fylde Octavius and a Touchstone. Hopefully that will raise enough as I don't want to have to sell my Touchstone octave mandala too! I really do need a clear out though as storage space is a real problem in my house! Time to streamline the collection long overdue.

I'm really excited about it though and I'll let you know what I think of it in a couple of weeks.

17. The following members say thank you to leftus maximus for this post: