Thread: Sierra Hull video from Fretboard journal

Default Sierra Hull video from Fretboard journal

This popped up on my feed, and I thought it was terrific.

Enjoy!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sierra Hull video from Fretboard journal

jeeze.

That was awesome. And no studio tricks like heavy compression or reverb, just a natural dry sound. I spend most of my time down the rabbit hole of Scottish/Irish trad, but I can still appreciate the musicianship of something like this. Very nice!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I love Sierra's playing and I love her singing. She's one of my favorite mandolin players.
    But, ... I'd love to see her song lyrics start to go beyond rhymed couplets that are so predictable. But I've probably missed some of her songs, so maybe it's just me.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I got the email from FJ featuring this video, didn't watch it; almost didn't watch it here because I figured it would be more light-speed BG picking. Great stuff, technically, but not my thing. But I was pleasantly surprised. Her accuracy and finesse (especially that right hand!) are truly wonderful and very tasteful. Such a talented player. I'd call that about as close to a perfect performance as one will ever see.

Side note: Is this a traditional song or an original? I'd never heard it before

Hey! I see what looks like an engagement ring in that video.

Blog Entries

Time to burn my mandolins again.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I love Sierra's playing and I love her singing. She's one of my favorite mandolin players.
    But, ... I'd love to see her song lyrics start to go beyond rhymed couplets that are so predictable. But I've probably missed some of her songs, so maybe it's just me.
    im a big SH fan, but, I agree. I think we are/have been watching a period of her musical and adult transition.

imho, she has been writing quite well, and has her own sound and style.

I have seen her live every time she comes to Denver, and, I am always inspired, and, demoralized too.

I see her moving beyond BG, which I like personally.

I would like to see her have more collaborations, as, I think there could be some wonderful surprises.

she used to have a full band, and I suspect this was economically infeasible. I sense she is a hard working pro, and, as a one woman show, she is navigating between artistry and paying the bills. Yet, I cannot help but think she needs a Thile-like cadre (O Donovan, Jarosz, etc) to widen her audience. I too wonder, if she has certain philosophical values which may limit her commercial growth.

not a criticism, simply, I watch her, listen to her interviews etc. and these things come to mind for me.

I would like to see some of the song ideas move beyond her recent 'coming of age' themes.

Quote Originally Posted by cb2859 View Post
    Hey! I see what looks like an engagement ring in that video.
    You are late to the dance, friend. She married the bass player. It's Valerie Bertinelli all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Side note: Is this a traditional song or an original? I'd never heard it before
    Hull says she first heard the song, which is traditional, as a ballad in a joan Baez record. I've also seen reference to Royal Tea as being traditional, but with Bela Fleck having helped come up with a new arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    I too wonder, if she has certain philosophical values which may limit her commercial growth.

not a criticism, simply, I watch her, listen to her interviews etc. and these things come to mind for me.
    Well, she'd have to go some way to match how "family values" unfriendly the life of Bill Monroe was with his cheating. I'm pretty sure she'll survive pretty easily.

I'm not entirely sure which values of hers you're giving a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" about, but if it's support for moving away from a culture which would excuse that sort of thing and those power dynamics, she'll probably be okay with losing those folks. After all, she'll be gaining those folks who just love the music, and who can see themselves and their possibilities more easily in Hull, Eva Holbrook, Sarah Jarosz, Taylor Swift and a growing number of others, than in the guys. That's a much bigger potential audience to gain, and more than offsets the potential loss.

Anyway, her playing is brilliant.
    Last edited by Explorer; May-26-2017 at 10:12pm.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Limecat View Post
    You are late to the dance, friend. She married the bass player. It's Valerie Bertinelli all over again!
    And I still have not forgiven Eddie

I think she's brilliant. (And this is just my observation).
    The singing is brilliant and the so is the mandolin tune. ( I just don't see any connection in them together)
    I know a lot of you will disagree but that's my thoughts!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.