Thread: Suzuki mandocello MC-885 "Master Hand"?

Default Suzuki mandocello MC-885 "Master Hand"?

Found this accidentally this morning and thought folks might be interested:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v500511187 .

The buttons at right tell us that the starting bid is 50,000 Yen ($446 USD) and Buy It Now is 175,000 Yen ($1560 USD). Here's the same auction at another site:

http://www.moganshopping.com/zh_tw/p...nID=v500511187.

Be cool to see it in the hands of a Cafe member.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Default Re: Suzuki mandocello MC-885 "Master Hand"?

Interesting. I have a Suzuki mandocello and like it a lot, but mine is a flatback (the MC-815). I was under the impression that Suzuki have only one current mandocello in their catalogue, the MC-836 which is very similar to mine, except that it's laminated rosewood where mine is laminated maple. Until recently, Suzuki mandocellos were difficult to get outside Japan, but I see that Thomann now have the MC-836 in stock at not much more than I paid used for my MC-815 on Ebay.

However, I've never seen a Suzuki bowlback mandocello and never heard of the model number MC-885. The only hits I'm getting for that model number point back to the Yahoo.co.jp listing you have found, so I wonder whether the "Master Hand" designation on the label shown on the auction may stand for one-off prototypes or customs instruments. If so, the Buy-It-Now price looks to be very fair indeed and the starting bid is a snip. There are quite a few mandolin orchestras in Japan, though, so I would think there is enough demand for mandocellos that it will be snapped up.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Interesting. I have a Suzuki mandocello and like it a lot, but mine is a flatback (the MC-815). I was under the impression that Suzuki have only one current mandocello in their catalogue, the MC-836 which is very similar to mine, except that it's laminated rosewood where mine is laminated maple. Until recently, Suzuki mandocellos were difficult to get outside Japan, but I see that Thomann now have the MC-836 in stock at not much more than I paid used for my MC-815 on Ebay.

However, I've never seen a Suzuki bowlback mandocello and never heard of the model number MC-885. The only hits I'm getting for that model number point back to the Yahoo.co.jp listing you have found, so I wonder whether the "Master Hand" designation on the label shown on the auction may stand for one-off prototypes or customs instruments. If so, the Buy-It-Now price looks to be very fair indeed and the starting bid is a snip. There are quite a few mandolin orchestras in Japan, though, so I would think there is enough demand for mandocellos that it will be snapped up.

Martin
    Thanks for this Martin. I'm sure you're right about it going locally, and you have to be a yahoo.co.jp member to enter the auction. Not hard at all if you have a Japanese-speaking friend to translate, or don't mind the possible faux pas that might happen with online translation.

I had a look at the Thomann site and note that it suggests GDAE rather than mandocello tuning - can you tell me a bit more about yours and your tuning etc? Also note that they name the Rosewood species, I'm hoping that's because this is not a restricted species under CITES. Thanks for any thoughts...
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I had a look at the Thomann site and note that it suggests GDAE rather than mandocello tuning - can you tell me a bit more about yours and your tuning etc? Also note that they name the Rosewood species, I'm hoping that's because this is not a restricted species under CITES. Thanks for any thoughts...
    I have no idea why Thomann recommend GDAE. Mine is tuned CGDA using stock Thomastik mandocello strings and works fine. It's a bit shorter scale than most mandocellos which is why the low C is a bit weak, but on the plus side it makes it easier to play. Looking at the Thomann photos, I'm sure all four pairs of strings are wound, which would mean CGDA not GDAE. I think it's just a mistake in the listing.

Unfortunately, there is a link on that Thomann page to refer to CITES restrictions for this instrument -- I don't think they will ship it to the US. All Dalbergia species are now in CITES Appendix II and need a permit to be imported to the US and many other places.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; May-24-2017 at 2:36pm.

5. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I have no idea why they Thomann recommend GDAE. Mine is tuned CGDA using stock Thomastik mandocello strings and works fine. It's a bit shorter scale than most mandocellos which is why the low C is a bit weak, but on the plus side it makes it easier to play. Looking at the Thomann photos, I'm sure all four pairs of strings are wound, which would mean CGDA not GDAE. I think it's just a mistake in the listing.

Unfortunately, there is a link on that Thomann page to refer to CITES restrictions for this instrument -- I don't think they will ship it to the US. All Dalbergia species are now in CITES Appendix II and need a permit to be imported to the US and many other places.

Martin
    Thanks for this Martin, all good info.