Thread: TSA and Customs: 1918 Mandocello

Question TSA and Customs: 1918 Mandocello

I am planning attend a classical mandolin festival in Germany, but I am worried about the materials in my Gibson K2 and the TSA. I am looking at the paperwork for an "instrument passport" certificate, but it asks lots of detail. Rosewood? Ebony? Pearl inlay?
    I wonder if any of you have run into trouble with this. When I went to Mexico a couple years ago, I bought a $175 mandolin just for the trip, just in case. But that was just for jamming with my wife and her fold-up "tranjo." This time it's serious performance and orchestral music.
    What I am looking for is information about the materials (I keep looking but get "for sale" and serial number-date information.) and any word on international travel.
    Anybody?
    Thanks,
    Doc

Default Re: TSA and Customs: 1918 Mandocello

Boy oh boy. Well, there's no rosewood. The fretboard and endpin are ebony. I don't know if the headplate is ebony or dyed pearwood. Other woods used are spruce (top), birch (back & sides) and mahogany (neck). The fleur-de-lis and logo are, I think, mother of pearl rather than abalone. Are there any exemptions for really old instruments?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

5. The following members say thank you to miami for this post:

Lots of detailed information there, wish I had that for my K2--Scary stuff! I bought it on craigslist from a guy in LA, so I have no serious documentation. All I need is the wrong TSA or Customs officer and I am screwed. Will look into the "passport" material, but that asks for details, materials, and verifications. I will post an update somewhere down the line as it gets closer, maybe get some advice at CMSA Milwaukee.
    Thanks!

People travel out of the country and back with instruments like this all the time! You don't have any CITES-violating materials in your K2 (ebony has a exemption below 20 kg's worth, for example). You should not have a problem. Also, it takes more than 2 months and $$ to get a "passport" and it's not universally recognized, anyway. Quit all the worrying and just travel with it, would be my advice.

8. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

It might be worth seeing if you can get something from Gibson on company letterhead stating the approximate year of manufacture, based on serial number and factory order number.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

10. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    It might be worth seeing if you can get something from Gibson on company letterhead stating the approximate year of manufacture, based on serial number and factory order number.
    Even a copy of the relevant page(s) of Spann's book might help. Customs agents are busy folk, hundreds of items reviewed every day. Any documentation which showed that the instrument's manufacture preceded the CITES restrictions might suffice.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

12. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

The only thing that might be an issue if if you have an elephant ivory nut.

Germany recognises no exceptions at all for this material. If it is a bone or ebony nut - no problem.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

14. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post: