Thread: Mandolin banjo early 20th century ?

Default Mandolin banjo early 20th century ?

I inherited this mandolin banjo from my great grandfather and believe it to be made sometime around 1900-1910. Being an amateur player is like to keep this and refurbish it for play. But I have found no identifying marks or anything. Would like to have an idea of age/make/value? Someone please helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	600.7 KB 
ID:	157451

Default Re: Mandolin banjo early 20th century ?

It was made in the US and was one of a plethora of unlabeled instruments made "for the trade".
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Default Re: Mandolin banjo early 20th century ?

The mandolin-banjo came on the scene in the early 20th century, so your guess is a good one. Concur with Mike E that it's a "trade" banjo, and an inexpensive one, as shown by the lack of ornamentation and the small number of brackets. You probably will never be able to attribute it to a particular maker; there were dozens of banjo builders during that era. The one thing I'd guess is that it wasn't one of the "big names."

As to value, I wouldn't expect it to price at $100 -- maybe half that. Fixing it up wouldn't be too hard; it needs a new head and a bridge. Just don't expect a fine instrument when you're done.