Thread: Anyone using Schertler DYN-M P48 Mandolin Pickup?

Default Anyone using Schertler DYN-M P48 Mandolin Pickup?

I know there was a recent thread on this subject up but was wondering if anyone had more or current thoughts on it. I am using a Bartlett now. Really like the sound of the AT 35 but just can't get it to stay put on my mando. Like everyone else, looking for something that doesn't change the sound of the instrument , just makes it louder and is easy to use. The DYN -M P48 looks interesting but before I drop over 3 bills was hoping for some info from folks that have actual experience with it. Thanks Jim

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone using Schertler DYN-M P48 Mandolin Pickup?

They are a decent sounding pickup (as is the AKG C411) but they don't sound as good as an AT PRO 35 mic, in my opinion.

Do you have a finger-rest on your mando? If so, the AT clips nicely to these. If not, a bit more difficult, though you can adapt the DPA 'violin' mount quite easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPA_ATM_3.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	157445
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Almeriastrings, Have tried the Pro 35 with the violin clip on my mando and for some reason it just doesn't work. Maybe I move too much. I just know i have been left "dangling" more than once.

I've used a schertler pickup for years on several different mandolins. The only time i don't use it is, just occasionally, when the venue has a good condenser mic. The only real problem I have with the schertler is dealing with the volume when I need to tune and don't want everybody else to hear me. Some folks here suggest using a transformer with a volume pot built in and stuffed inside their pants pocket, or on a belt loop. I found that to be way too clumsy, plus the sound cut out when i bumped it. A tuner stomp box is the best solution.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Nollman For This Useful Post:

I would second Jim's remarks. I like having the Dyn-M, which I've had for nearly five years, but in most of my own gigs I use a Shure SM-137 condenser mike instead. The Dyn-M is the best sounding pickup I've ever had for any instrument--and should be, for the price--including great feedback rejection--and the convenience of being able to use it on different instruments is good too. The long XLR cable dangling from the instrument though means you have to go through all the fuss of attaching it and detaching it every time you use it, which adds several minutes to setup and teardown. The case for the system is well designed though, such that it becomes a rather zen-like ritual-- and for the cost of the item, the ritual feels better than wrapping the cable and tossing it in the gear bag would.
    Incidentally, a friend tried it out on his National RM-1 walnut body, by sticking it to the metal top plate. Zero, zip, nada. No vibrations, dude. He's still looking for the right pickup to add to that instrument, I guess its worth it to spring for the extra bucks for the built-in one on the RM-1.

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

JimKo 

Bill, Thanks for the good solid info.

I am a huge fan of the dyn-m. My only small complaint is that it's hard to get good monitoring at very loud stage volume - like playing with a loud drummer. Feedback becomes an issue, but not insurmountable. I am not a fan of piezo pickups for mandolin, the Schertler sounds pretty natural.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

I have been using the passive Dyn M, portable, and the C Dyn S installed , in my Mix A5.

They seem fine.. Why do you think you need the active , rather than the passive one?

Loud bands any pickup on a responsive acoustic soundboard is subject to mechanical feedback,

the instrument becomes a spruce diaphragm microphone..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

For the national the pickup has to attach to the cone, inside, not the cover, maybe attach to the bridge biscuit?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I changed 1 Mic cable end with a Neutrik, one with a ring switch, I plug the Schertler into it.

the Mix A5 has a 1/4" TRS jack so adding a TRS to XLR adapter is the thing.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Whilst I stand to be corrected, there is a difference between the original Dyn M (to which some people are referring) and the current Dyn M P48 ( which the o/p is asking about) - for starters, the P48 requires phantom power. I suspect that anyone who has been using the Schertler fot "5 years" has one of the old models which don't need phantom and may well sound different.

I have recently bought the P48 but have yet to come to terms with it. To my ear it seems to lack top end but that may be due to an excess of fixing goop - it clearly needs some more fiddling with.

14. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

JimKo