Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copper fiber mandolin

Default Re: Copper fiber mandolin

I'm wondering if it might help with playing induced arthritis.... Stunning instrument, looks great!
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

Rainsong and Composite Acoustics developed their own selective damping systems (foam for Rainsong, bracing for CA) for frequency sculpting. I can't imagine how one would develop a bracing or damping system experimentally for different thicknesses of CF during layup, but the idea of an open-backed, removable-back instrument where one could then pop off the clamped back and try different methods (like foam and bracing layouts) seems like the easiest to tinker with.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Rainsong and Composite Acoustics developed their own selective damping systems (foam for Rainsong, bracing for CA) for frequency sculpting. I can't imagine how one would develop a bracing or damping system experimentally for different thicknesses of CF during layup, but the idea of an open-backed, removable-back instrument where one could then pop off the clamped back and try different methods (like foam and bracing layouts) seems like the easiest to tinker with.
    It's the same as designing anything. You build prototypes, try stuff out. When it works, your boss tells you you're done. If you're your own boss, good luck figuring out when it's done.
    (I teach design, so I know that when you've met your objectives and fulfilled your constraints you can ship, but it's still a very nebulous and difficult decision, even though the process is absurdly simple.)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Marty, you said a mouthful!
    "If you're the boss..."
    Interesting that even though Lloyd Loar said it was finished, there are those in the mandolin building world who continue to develop more examples of excellence in different manners. Building fascinates me, I don't build but I really am inspired at the genius and patience involved in building! Tip of the hat to all of you that build!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Very nicely done! I applaud all of the effort it took to accomplish this. Did you post earlier prototypes? If so, wondering what differences you made to this one. Looking forward to a sound clip, and can certainly understand that you are aiso still waiting to hear what a player can do with it as well at this point in the design process. Sounding like a mandolin is good for starters!

Scott

Yes Scott there are 2 others. If you search for my name you should find the threads. This is the second with copper in it and first with pickups.

thanks for the compliments
    Norm

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chinslip For This Useful Post:

I have a custom made Carbon fiber mandolin. Recently completed and georgeous. The top is made from a rare blue anodized copper wire weaved in with the carbon to give the top a blueish hue in the sun. Won't crack, split or warp under temperature extremes

FranciscoZook, this one would be mine. this is my add

***Ad removed by moderator ***
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jun-04-2017 at 11:32am. Reason: Please keep commerce off the boards.

Probably sell better on the MandoCafe classifieds.

13. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

Been on there for a while