Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper fiber mandolin

Default Copper fiber mandolin

I named this one "Copper Head". The second in the copper series has copper wire CF hand cut into a chevron pattern. It also has a new logo design, new Allen tail piece and aged tuning pegs. K&K dual internal pickups. Also has a richlite fretboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	157347

Views:	328 
Size:	624.8 KB 
ID:	157343Click image for larger version. 

Views:	383 
Size:	831.1 KB 
ID:	157345Click image for larger version. 

Views:	337 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	157346Click image for larger version. 

Views:	413 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	157347

Views:	293 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	157344

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chinslip For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Copper fiber mandolin

How's it sound?

The gauntlet has been thrown down How does it sound? How does it sound compared to a Mix CF mandolin? And how does it sound plugged in? Curious though it does look good!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

A can't compare it to a mix mando because I don't have one to compare to. But it sounds like a mandolin. I don't even have a traditional one to compare. But it sounds like a mandolin. I haven't plugged it in yet. But it sounds like a mandolin. Lol

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chinslip For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'd lay a bet it has killer healing powers That is one neat horn man! I like it, never heard of nothing like it, what will you guys think of next! I WANT to hear it!

Very curious how a CF sounds. Why not put up a sound sample.

Pretty neat, thanks for showing it to us.

Great work. A stroke of luck that it sounds like a mandolin

Thanks for the compliments. I should have a sound clip by tomorrow.

The top looks book matched to me.

You probably don't need to worry about structural integrity when exposed to the elements, but will the copper tarnish?

The entire surface is covered with a clear finish so that the copper won't oxidize.

Nice! Looks like a solid top, but do you any pictures of the back?

Blog Entries

Looks very nice. This is an exciting departure from tradition. Lots of questions...

Do you have to use bracing for the top or is the CF/Copper strong enough that you can just go without bracing completely?

Also, is the top molded into an arch, or do you have to carve it?

Is the top 2-piece or a single piece? The back?

Is the neck also CF? Does it have -- or need -- a truss rod?

Do you use a dovetail joint for the neck-to-body attachment, or another type of joint?

Is there any wood at all being used?

Like others, I'm very anxious to hear it.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Looks great, I would imagine it would be a perfect performing mandolin plugged in as I imagine it would stay in tune very well. I play a boat cruise in the summer here with high humidity being on the water something like this would be a great instrument for this venue.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've attached a picture of the bottom. If I miss any questions/answers please repost. I'm excited about this and don't mind the questions. What you see in this picture is all one piece. No neck joints, no dove tail, no screws or wood. The only wood on this instrument is a small piece for the tail piece to screw into and the same in the head for the tunning pegs. There is one thin brace running front to back right in the middle of the top. The top is one solid piece molded into an arch. There is no carving involved here. As stated before the neck is one piece with the body and hollow except for a little bit of expanding foam insulation in the neck. Oh, and no truss rod. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	236 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	157361

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	218 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	157362

18. The following members say thank you to Chinslip for this post:

Nice job. Did you use twill for the whole thing, or did you use any unidirectional layers? I'm working on a similar project right now, trying to dial in the top stiffness and working out the right level of anisotropy.
    Was the foam insulation the only core material you used?
    And last question, did you build up the edges for bonding surface area at the rim, or just fillet with epoxy and flush trim?

Yes twill all over. The top layer on the top only was hand cut and flipped over 180 degrees to give the chevron look.
    Yes, foam only in the neck.
    Yes, edges around the body only were built up 90 degrees to the sides to give the top an area for epoxy. The neck is a hollow "D" shape and fingerboard is epoxy on top of it. Here are better pictures of the back and neck area.

Views:	210 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	157372

Views:	243 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	157373

Views:	184 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	157374

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chinslip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Very curious how a CF sounds. Why not put up a sound sample.
    There must be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinslip View Post
    Yes twill all over. The top layer on the top only was hand cut and flipped over 180 degrees to give the chevron look.
    Yes, foam only in the neck.
    Yes, edges around the body only were built up 90 degrees to the sides to give the top an area for epoxy. The neck is a hollow "D" shape and fingerboard is epoxy on top of it. Here are better pictures of the back and neck area.

Views:	210 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	157372

Views:	243 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	157373

Views:	184 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	157374
    Thanks!

The sound sample is coming guys. Give me a few days to put something together.

How did you determine the stiffness of the top and back? In other words, what guideline were you using? Is it something you can shave down after the mando is completed, which is not uncommon for wood construction.

If you don't mind, can you play from low G to above 12 th fret on E string? These things intrigue me as the perfect travel mando.

Fscotte, after in-molding, there's nothing to shave down or re-shape. Trial and error is what I had to work with. For those of you who are concerned if it sounds like a wooden mandolin...FYI it doesn't. It looks, plays and sounds like a mandolin...but it's different. Compare a Corvette with a Cadillac. Both are cars that get you from A to B, but looks, drives and sounds different. CF instruments aren't for everyone just like Corvettes aren't for everyone. Either you like them or you don't, that simple. Pros and cons with both. fscotte, I don't play mandolin AT ALL!! This is why I have to wait for a player to make me a sound clip. But if you want me to play a few notes on a few strings I can do that for you if you want. But don't ask me to play anything remotely sounding like a melody, lol.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chinslip For This Useful Post:

The reason I ask is because there isn't a precedent set for tone when talking about synthetic materials like CF. Wood mandos have a long history if stiffness to mass guidelines, and some folks use different methods to get a desired tone.

You've answered my question, thankyou. Hope you can begin to develop methods to get to desired sound. You're at the forefront.

29. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chinslip View Post
    I named this one "Copper Head". The second in the copper series has copper wire CF hand cut into a chevron pattern. It also has a new logo design, new Allen tail piece and aged tuning pegs. K&K dual internal pickups. Also has a richlite fretboard.
    I am curious of what you are adding to the tone qualities by the use of the copper. Do you think that makes a difference or is it only for cosmetics?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's mostly cosmetic with so hope to soften the sound a bit with the dense material. I'm still working to get a sound clip posted as soon as I can find someone willing to test drive it,lol