Thread: Orkney Folk Festival

Default Orkney Folk Festival

Next weekend 24-29 May.

Anyone going?

http://www.orkneyfolkfestival.com/line-up/

The pub sessions are very mandolin/banjo friendly.

It's quite usual for performers to lead or join in sessions, so that in past years you might have found yourself sitting in with visiting musicians like Sharon Shannon, Tim O'Brien, Caleb Klauder & Foghorn string band, Gordie McKeeman's Rhythm Boys, The Hot Seats, Gerry O'Connor and a plethora of great players from Orkney and Shetland.

Maybe Dennis Cahill will find his way in this year.

This year there is even the Orkney Mandolin Band.
    https://www.facebook.com/Orkney-Mand...8773298615821/
    Bren

Default Re: Orkney Folk Festival

I wish!!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

Would like to be there! Great place (Stromness and the Orkneys) and great atmosphere!

Orkney FF was great again.

A few things to note:

Like so many village-based festivals, it has become a victim of its own success.

You need to book your accommodation now if you want to stay in Stromness for FF 2018.

Restaurants/pubs were fully-booked for meals last Friday and Saturday, many hungry people wandering around.

The Stromness chipper has closed and been replaced by a Chinese takeaway (quite good I'm told, but they ran out of both fish, and chips, on Saturday).

The fast food vans that used to show up on the harbour Friday/Saturday nights didn't this year, for some reason.

Concerts and events were all sold out long before and even some "Gold Patronage" subscribers couldn't get tickets.

I'm told there were returns available at the festival office if you wanted to try.

Pubs don't really do lock-ins any more and the festival club is strictly wrist-band (i.e performers and organisers) only.

Still, it was great weather, as it so often is, and the sessions were great. (and sometimes too noisy/chaotic and not so great - c'est la vie)

I was too late/disorganised to get any tickets but enjoyed a session with Laura Cortese and the Dance Cards, a 4-woman old-timey-ish ensemble from USA/Canada, with a great sound from their bass/fiddle/fiddle/cello line-up and strong vocals.

Dennis Cahill was wandering around the street chatting - had some good stories of his rock band days where he first played with Martin Hayes 30-ish years ago. They have been on the road as a duo now for 22 years.

I was saying how much I enjoyed their slower take on fiddle tunes and he said that when he listens to their CDs, they're actually playing quite fast. I guess it's just that they find the space in there.
    Bren

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

If you don't believe me about the weather ...

Bren

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post: