Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Default Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

I would like to thank Dennis for his honest appraisal. As usual, customer satisfaction is number one in his book.

I have lost count of how many times somebody posts the question here of what good quality hand carved F style mandolins are out there for under 500 dollars. Up till this point the answer has been "there aren't any". It's been asked enough times that there is definitely a market. Even when people know that A styles give you more bang for the buck, they still want the scroll. Strictly for looks. But they don't want to pay a lot. And they want solid hand carved wood. And no dipped in plastic finishes. It would seem Saga was trying to capture that market. Alas, this holy grail of mandolin marketing just still seems to be too elusive. Unless they regroup and change some things.
    Don

Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    Weber Bitterroot A
    Fender Octave Mandolin

2. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I still think Saga will do well with this model. The competition is their own RM-75 (the KM-606 is a better mandolin). And maybe The Loar LM-520. They won't dethrone the 520, but they give a good alternative.

There is nothing wrong with the KM-606 I received, aside from the finish not looking great. If you look at my hi-res photos on the website, the build quality is good. The finish is the only thing that is currently holding it back.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com
    1-800-493-4922

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I would like to thank Dennis for his honest appraisal
    My thanks go out as well. As disappointing as Dennis' report might be to hear, I'll wait until it shows up. For me, it's a festival mandolin that just needs to beat the $199 Michael Kelly on sound and workmanship. I don't thinking doing either is a tall order. The tone of the MK is at best "okay", and I've already rehashed (as have others) the setup work needed out of the box. So if the 606 can sound a little less thin, and if I don't have to spend two or three hours getting the action down and the frets level, then it might be a keeper. But my bar's pretty low, this won't be by any stretch my main instrument.

And if it shows up and it's a dog, then I'll consider the $50 return shipping to be the cost of my (losing) mandolin lottery ticket.
    2016 Pava F5
    2015 Red Valley EM
    '47 Gibson A-50
    Michael Kelly Legacy Festival - the new beater

I had high hopes for this mandolin,but am thinking of canceling my order.If it's better than the $199 Michael Kelly I'd be happy.The best thing would be to get it in my hands.Funny that they would send a bad sample to the Mandolin Store.

Discouraging assessment from The Mandolin Store, no doubt, but I'm going to stick it out. If it doesn't end up replacing my Eastman (and I'm starting to think it likely won't) it should at least make for a good festival/camping instrument.

By the way, I'll be at Telluride this year--I just hope I get the 606 before I leave. If I do, and if anyone else will be there and wants to try it out, let me know.

I'm very close to cancelling as well. I only bought it because it was a good deal, but that only matters if it's a good mandolin.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

So, we can expect really deep discounts then?

If Saga uses the information and insights that have been shared in this thread, they might find they actually have a winner on their hands. For the investment of sending out 16 instruments, they have gained valuable free promotion among a core user group, and they have obtained initial feedback that can be used to address some of the failings identified by the group. Next step would be to figure out what changes they can afford to make and still hit the target price point - which this "users group" has "blessed." Then send another batch out into the wild. Chances are good that even with simple changes the response here will be such that it becomes a "success." Right now the instrument's reputation has already become a member of the "walking wounded." This could all change... So,it is too early to write this whole exercise off. It would be cool to think that each of us who have responded positively and negatively might actually help shape the eventual introduction of a successful mass-market instrument.
    One watch by night, one watch by day...if you get confused, just listen to the music play.

Collings MT,
    Collings MT-O,
    Collings MF
    Waterloo WLS Deluxe
    Martin HD 28

The power of the internet!

So, I have the KM-606 back now and just spent some more time really looking it over and listening to it. My initial thoughts are still the same. This is by no means a bad mandolin for the price. This is based solely on the one KM-606 I have seen.

Dennis, did the version you received look similar to mine?

My opinion on this one:
    Rough F holes
    You can see some signs of what I assume is the spindle sanding of the sides.
    Scroll, actually pretty good. Especially considering it is not bound.
    General carving, fit, seams, pretty good really. I see a little glue on the headstock overlay, but again, not bad at all.
    Obviously the finish is the main point where many are not going to be happy.

All of this is in relation to the price point.

I just took this outside and did another round of images. Some in a light tent, and a few in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, with enough twisting and trying different angles, I was able to get the finish to show the brown translucent look. This finish varies significantly in different lighting. The wide range of pics are all accurate, depending on the lighting.

I would appreciate everyone checking the hi-res versions of the new images and giving opinions on the workmanship. I know it is difficult to tell from images, but since virtually no one has seen these in person.....

Just over 30 pics up now:
    https://www.folkmusician.com/product...ndolin-f-style

Believe it or not, this is the same mandolin. It does not look like this in most lighting, or even in the sun at other angles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knetucky_KM-606_Mandolin-2-19_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	157583
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com
    1-800-493-4922

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

I swear Robert, in your other pictures the finish looks black! This view does not look so bad. Reminiscent of the Eastman 300 series. They have to do something about the sanding scratches though. They just do. It's labor, right? And Chinese labor is cheap, right? So how much more would be added to their cost if they just spent a little time sinding with finer grits?
    Don

Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    Weber Bitterroot A
    Fender Octave Mandolin

Well I was really thinking about buying one when this thread started but after reading about how it was returned to the store, has no punch and doesn't even sound as good as an Eastman 315 and can't compete with a Loar 520 why in heck would anybody want one regardless of how it looks ? If this mando looked great but won't compete with the tone/volume of the low end Loars or Eastmans would someone buy one ?
    Lou

the only bad F mandolins are the ones that can't be set up to play well. tone is a totally other issue and belongs to the ears of the beholder.

imho, the way larger part of all of the offshore F mandolins, no matter what their price tag, or all solid hand carved wood and jazzy accoutrements, are all for the most part incredibly similar in overall tone Range.

playability will always be something that needs to be tweaked out of most of them as well. for me, plunking down $250 for an lm-310f or an $800 md-515 is just about the money and not all that far apart for tone. again, for me, maybe not you. there are notable exceptions that come off the conveyor belt that go against the rule of norm. and, of course, buying ANY acoustic instrument before playing it is a total krap shoot gamble. feeling lucky?

i can understand the fascination with these $500 range mandos - they're within purchase range of the masses and bring up lots of forum board chatter. but discerning the individual tones of all these mandos is compounded by the assembly line production industry. not one is ever created specifically with the purchaser in mind, as you peruse the mando vendors online or within your local mando emporium.

this is not to say that a km-606 is a bad mandolin, or a good one. it is what it is - an offshore box at a specific marketeer's price point, that probably isn't really any better or worse for "tone" than most other offshore boxes. once set up for good playability, i'd say they're ALL capable of making great music in the right hands. saga's shtick with their 606 is the color, it's achille's heel is the less-than-good production work ... the stain color is pure aesthetics.

it will always come down to the ears of the beholders ... it would help lots if the beholders never saw what they're hearing, so truly accurate judgment could be rendered without the usual peer human jading nonsense. in a blindfold sonic-only taste test of a dozen different mandos, who could accurately nail the street price of each? not me.
    proud owner/player of a rogue rm-100a

A white background is always going to make it look darker and silhouette-like, due to the contrast. The best way to photograph a wooden object is with natural colors behind it, and with diffused light. Like outside on a cloudy day, sitting in the green grass.
    1917 Gibson F4
    1918 Gibson H4
    2013 Ellis F5
    2013 Pava A5

Very nice photos Robert, very nice. Thank you for taking the time. You can always be a professional photographer if the folk instrument business dries up.
    The 606 looks like kind of a kit where you save money by completing the finish yourself. Perfect mandolin for someone who can finish sand, touch-up stain, lacquer overspray and buff out.