Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eastwood Rickenbacker

Default Re: Eastwood Rickenbacker

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post

I don't think it's fair to compare an Eastwood to a Rickenbacker.
    ...tell that to Eastwood...

Rickenbacker is one of the oldest boutique guitar makers that has survived by focusing on putting out a quality product and expending the requisite resources to protect their brand in the marketplace.
    Oh boy...
    RIC has had a ton of quality-control issues...

The infamous exploding "R" tailpiece comes to mind....
    Your 12-string tailpiece explodes just before a recording session, and it'll cost you 125.00 (plus your old broken tailpiece) to get it back to good...
    (Yeah, I speak from personal experience...)
    Oh, but the exploding tailpiece put a few good-sized dents in the finish, too...
    Doesn't matter, because--according to RIC--it's my fault that it broke...or, "normal wear and tear"...

Go on the RIC sites and you'll see tons of stories exactly like the above...everybody's tailpiece post '91 will break, sooner or later...
    ...and, it's because of poor design and materials, not user-error...

As far as protecting their brand in the marketplace, I'm still flabbergasted that this Eastwood mandolin is even out there...
    RIC is that "on it" when it comes to protecting their designs...

My email exchanges with Eastwood have been helpful and informative.And the pickup sounds great.

3. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Spruce 

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    ...tell that to Eastwood...

Oh boy...
    RIC has had a ton of quality-control issues...

The infamous exploding "R" tailpiece comes to mind....
    Your 12-string tailpiece explodes just before a recording session, and it'll cost you 125.00 (plus your old broken tailpiece) to get it back to good...
    (Yeah, I speak from personal experience...)
    Oh, but the exploding tailpiece put a few good-sized dents in the finish, too...
    Doesn't matter, because--according to RIC--it's my fault that it broke...or, "normal wear and tear"...

Go on the RIC sites and you'll see tons of stories exactly like the above...everybody's tailpiece post '91 will break, sooner or later...
    ...and, it's because of poor design and materials, not user-error...

As far as protecting their brand in the marketplace, I'm still flabbergasted that this Eastwood mandolin is even out there...
    RIC is that "on it" when it comes to protecting their designs...
    Interesting.

I must admit to not being aware of that particular problem. The only issue I've had with my 650 was an incorrectly cut nut that was fixed no-charge.

I did notice Rickenbacker specifies in their warranty that it is void if you don't use Rickenbacker strings. I can see a direct correlation between string tension and "exploding tailpieces" so Ric would be in their rights not to honor a claim under those circumstances. I won't argue it's right for a company to dictate what strings to use, but if you buy a product with that type of warranty then you have to expect to be on your own in the event of tension issues.

I've no doubt Eastwood can be nice when pushed, it's just not something I've experienced from them over the years.

It takes an actual infringement before an action can be brought to court, so it wasn't until Eastwood actually started selling/shipping that lawyers would be brought into play. Prior to that it was all hypothetical. And we don't know if there has been any behind-the-scenes chatter between Eastwood and Rickenbacker lawyers, so things may be afoot but hidden to the general public.

If Ric hasn't sold this particular instrument since the '50's, as Eastwood seems to state in their materials, they are open to losing any US trademark protection for abandonment. But that only sticks (in court) if Ric can't demonstrate "intent" to sell the product again in the future. The legal threshold test for "intent" is very low, so it wouldn't take Ric much to launch a favorable defense. They could carry the day on copyright over the design as those rights are based on "creation" not "commercial use" like trademark.

Legal wheels take time and money, so I won't consider this one over until the fat lady sings, as the saying goes...
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I did notice Rickenbacker specifies in their warranty that it is void if you don't use Rickenbacker strings. I can see a direct correlation between string tension and "exploding tailpieces" so Ric would be in their rights not to honor a claim under those circumstances. I won't argue it's right for a company to dictate what strings to use, but if you buy a product with that type of warranty then you have to expect to be on your own in the event of tension issues.
    Pot metal...

===========

It would be hard to find somebody who loves Rickenbacker's more than I do (I have owned 15 or so, over the years - spanning from the early 70's to the early 2000's), and I have never had a major structural problem with any of the guitars, (only a small bridge rattle on one of my basses) - but my local guitar tech (former Guild factory employee whom I greatly respect) told me that Ric's quality control seems to have slipped in recent years.

All things considered, I still consider myself a Rickenbacker Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Pot metal...

That's pretty nasty, to be sure.

What gauge strings were on it at the time of the explosion and what were recommended by Rickenbacker?

- ---==< V >==--- -

What gauge strings were on it at the time of the explosion and what were recommended by Rickenbacker?
    That is not the issue, as it wouldn't have mattered if I did have Rickenbacker lights on there, as many other folks can attest to--you still have to pay to get a new tailpiece, and that tailpiece is prone to the same problems....

For the record, roundwound light strings on my 330...
    ...but google this, and you'll find dozens of similar stories...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    ...my local guitar tech (former Guild factory employee whom I greatly respect) told me that Ric's quality control seems to have slipped in recent years.
    Unfortunately, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post

All things considered, I still consider myself a Rickenbacker Guy.
    Yeah, me too...
    But I'll stick with the vintage stuff...

Spruce - aside from this tailpiece issue, what other QA issues do you consider Ric having?

I ask because I'm not sure what's being described is correctly a quality control issue. That relates to how well the designs have been implemented. This appears to be more of a design issue if, in fact, the tailpiece is unable to sustain the tension put on by manufacturer approved strings.

But I agree that this shouldn't be happening and we shouldn't even be having this conversation.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Spruce - aside from this tailpiece issue, what other QA issues do you consider Ric having?
    I hang out here occasionally--as well as at the unofficial RIC Facebook page--and the issue of QC comes up all the time...
    Mostly finish and binding issues, although the exploding tailpiece is pretty infamous...

Thanks to all for posting the pictures.
    It appears that both strings in each course are forced to share a single hole in the end of the tailpiece.
    Is there no through body path from the back for one string in each course using the holes in the base of the tailpiece?

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    It appears that both strings in each course are forced to share a single hole in the end of the tailpiece.
    Is there no through body path from the back for one string in each course using the holes in the base of the tailpiece?
    The last I knew, there was an after-market vintage-Rickenbacker-looking (non-'R') tailpiece that has 12 holes, instead of 6. I don't know anything about the quality, but I recall seeing it around in years past. Many years ago I wrote a detailed instruction on how to MUCH more easily change strings on a Rickenbacker 12-string, and posted it on the Rickenbacker message boards- but my copy has been lost for quite some time . . . although it might be floating around somewhere in cyber space . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    You are free to make such a modification to the one you buy. do share your finished project.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So, those of you who signed up for an Eastwood Ric copy -- has it arrived yet?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    So, those of you who signed up for an Eastwood Ric copy -- has it arrived yet?
    It came about three weeks ago(I did not sign up,I ordered a black one)

So, does anybody have anything to report on these guys? Are they worth the $$$? Sound decent? etc.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Up...
    No report ?
    Even on emando.com ???
    So bad !
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Up...
    No report ?
    Even on emando.com ???
    So bad !
    Just got out of hospital after six weeks,mine is great,would not change a thing on it,pickups work great after shielding the cavity,neck looks small but plays great,much better then other eight string electrics I've played,probably was cheap to make but I. Could not do better for $400

19. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Ronny 

Nice looking real Rickenbacker on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Up...
    No report ?
    Even on emando.com ???
    So bad !
    Still waiting on mine ...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Here's one on Craigslist. What are those tuners? Look like Fender style Klusons.
    https://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/...384407495.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5002V58 Blueburst2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	196575
    For those of us who like Rickenbackers, I'm afraid the chances to get a real Ric are fading fast. I wrote to Rickenbacker last week to see if they have any plans to run another batch of the 5002V58 mandolins and the answer was no.

I have a Jetglo, an Amber Fire Glo (rare) and the Blueburst in the pic (extremely rare - supposedly one of three made). They have the quirky wide necks with string spacing that is very different from my other mandolins (Manns, Godin, Fender, Epi....). And they really benefit from a proper setup by a luthier skilled in Emandos. But when you want that classic sparkling jangle, they sound terrific.

I still regret that I passed on the chance to buy a pretty Mapleglo one from Pick of the Ricks years ago. Oh for a time machine and a VISA card.......

Blog Entries

I had a look at and a tinkle on a Ric mando at a NAMM show in 2010. (A long time ago now, admittedly.) I was unimpressed, especially for the price. Given the size of the neck and the string spacing it seemed to me that they didn't really 'get' mandolins. So if I bought one, I would be spending an inordinate amount of money (on a new and expensive instrument) to get it into playing shape.

And then theres the shape of the mandolin... Jeez with all their great guitar designs, you'd think they could make one that didn't look like they gave up and said "good enough" halfway through. I mean, do an Epi/Firebird and make a tiny version of a 330, fercryinoutloud. Wouldn't that be really cool?

Love, love, love their guitar designs, and the signature guitar sounds. But I take a pass on their mandolins.

just my rather opinionated take,
    Daniel

We should keep in mind that the Ric mandolins were an exact reissue of the 1958 instrument and they truly are identical to the originals with the exception of moving the fret marker from the 9th fret to the 10th fret on the final run. So beauty must have been in the eye of the beholders way back in '58.

In any event, I love my Rics and would never part with them. The integrated neck and body with the walnut back is solid as a rock as is the bridge design. And the toaster top pickup produces sounds that I simply cannot replicate on my other emandos (I am a collector and have samples from just about every major builder).

I agree with Daniel that the neck feels like a guitar company design as opposed to a mandolin. And they would never be a bluegrass instrument. But I will glady stretch my fingers a bit and forgive them for their faults when I hear that unmistakable Rickenbacker chime through my AC30.

26. The following members say thank you to Emandojangle for this post:

It's somewhat ironic that guitar players complain about how skinny Ric guitar necks [12 string in particular] are while mando players complain about how wide their mando necks are.

- ---==< V >==--- -

28. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Hey if anyone here has an Eastwood Ricky they want to part with let me know via PM. Also would be interested in a Rickenbacker 5002V58.

Thanks,
    Daniel