Thread: Mudulation effects

Blog Entries

Default Mudulation effects

[MUDulation! Ha! inadvertant pun there. ]
    Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

Do you go for chorus, flange, phase, tremolo, or something more complicated/exotic?

I’m currently using a 3 pedal board which includes my Super Overdrive dialed WAY back to the spot where I can get dirty by pushing the pick harder or turning up the volume on the emando. For spice I use a flanger and a Boss Multi-Overtone, though almost never at the same time. Both pedals are dialed back to nearly nothing. I like subtle things.

My current favorite amp is my Ampeg JetII 12T (15w 1×12). It has reverb and tremolo. I’ve been playing with the tremolo a lot lately, exploring speeds mostly. If I go slow, I like to set the intensity above 5. When I go fast, I drop the intensity to 3-ish. So it’s the effect with which I am the least subtle.

I am asking because I have been thinking about a phaser/phase shifter in place of the flange. And I would love to have the Multi-Overtone modified. (I won’t go into specifics unless you’re interested in one of Boss’s least successful pedals. I can recommend a YouTube video if you’re into it.)

Daniel

Default Re: Mudulation effects

I recently (saw up close) a Strymon Cloudburst used with an acoustic guitar, and now it's on the top of my wishlist. I'd never heard of "ambient reverb" before; it's impressive!
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

3. The following members say thank you to Monte Barnett for this post:

Default Re: Mudulation effects

If I can run an instrument through pedals, I will, and my 5 string Wee Beastie is no exception. That being said, the only proper modulation effect I've used on mandolin is my '62 Princeton's bias trem. In general, modulation effects will soften note attack, and that's something I'm (currently!) avoiding. The huge exception to this is my Chase Bliss Lossy, which sounds absolutely incredible with the mandolin. This isn't a modulation effect, but rather a unique form of digital degradation that can have phase and auto-filter effects and ring modulation. Actually, I forgot ring modulation; ring mod and mandolin sound fantastic. I'm currently working on a Swedish tune called Orepolska that might wind up being an electric solo with a reverb tank, Lossy, and a bunch of time-based effects, and really enjoying the ways I can shape my sound. Mandolin famously lacks sustain, but effects can change that radically.
    Wee Beastie: Sparrow 5 string electric
    Collings MT-O

5. The following members say thank you to Crazyquilt for this post: