Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find the Mandoholics Anonymous thread...

Learning by error!

Default Can't find the Mandoholics Anonymous thread...

I guess I'm the new kid on the block here, this being my first post. And my newly-acquired mandolin playing habit seems to be consuming me. In my case, the gateway drug was a tenor banjo that I started playing in March of this year. Having zero prior music experience, I decided to take a swing at learning to play a unique instrument while in my mid-50's. a couple Mel Bay books and a YouTube video or two were early enablers. I figured out a arthritic handful of chords, but in a moment of unguarded weakness I got hooked picking melody TAB.

Late at night I'd be wandering the internet bayou, collecting second- and third-hand TAB from perfect strangers. Soon, I started paying for TAB with my gas money and finally blew the entire wad on the TablEdit software so that I could get my fix from the TAB-Lab in my basement. But I couldn't stop spending late nights on the dark, dusty streets on the internet. Like a starved coyote, I'd lurk in the shadows at the Mandolin Cafe, stealing four-stringed morsels to feed my tenor banjo.

At some lucid point in time I came to the realization that a teno banjo addict is lonely, because, well, simply put, there aren't too many of us around. But there are a bunch of mandolin addicts, and they are a bit more socially acceptable because they leave a much nicer sound in their wake. So in early April I found a 35 year old Gold Tone A-Style - and then the real obsession began. The poor mandolin looked lonely, so I found a friend for it in a Breedlove Crossover F-Style.

While I realize there are better quality instruments out there, it doesn't matter to me at this point. I'm having a blast playing and learning. And through your posts here, many of you have been helpful to me on this journey. With my lurking days behind me, you may actually see me show in your threads - I'll be that guy asking the stupid questions!

Cheers!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Can't find the Mandoholics Anonymous thread...

Perfect!

Enjoy the journey. I learned and grew a lot when I got with a local old-time jam. This site and mandozine.com have tabedit files, which I guess you've found. I'd go to old-time jams and often find the called tunes in the tabedit library or the mandolin fakebook (real paper). Then I'd prepare for the next jam. Tempo is quite the initial challenge when playing with a group. Both getting steady and getting fast!

Last year, I coined the mantra, "On the journey to excellence, enjoy mediocrity!"

Oh, yeah, and welcome too!

f-d

p.s., I've owned a ton of mandolins, but learned that it's easier to buy, but more fun to play!
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Welcome to the obsession, brotha! Remember, there are no stupid questions. We all have ignorance that can be remedied, often most effectively by asking questions or making mistakes from which we learn. I've been playing about ten years, and learn something new most days I'm on here
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Thank you, Biggie - welcome. My name is Honkety and I am a mandoholic. We may not be able to cure the craving, but as a group, we can at least share our experiences and our coping mechanisms.

Right now I feed my habit with Irish Traditional tunes with some old timey Appalachian stuff mixed in. Pretty powerful stuff. Go easy on it till you have good calluses. See my signature down below here.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Learning by error!

Thanks f-d! I am getting that mediocrity thing down pretty good I tried playing melody with a guitar player doing chords for a hymn we were going to do at church. Just trying to synch with one guy it tough enough, I can't imagine playing with a group anytime soon - if ever!

6. The following members say thank you to Bigskyken for this post:

Learning by error!

Thanks CES! I can put the stupid in questions at times, but am not afraid to do so The learning is always the fun part for me, so this is a real kick.

Learning by error!

Hey Honkety - the tenor banjo gave me callouses, but now 6 weeks of mandolin has put callouses on my callouses! I made the mistake of taking a two-week trip at the end of March without playing and had to re-callous after that - lesson learned! Thanks for the welcome.

Avoid the threads about high end picks. It's another obsession in itself.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Welcome and I'm definitely in the category as I have way too many mandolins, bit nothing expensive, well my J Bovier cost a fair amount for me. I have gone through many phases, first once I discovered the mandolin it was it , then I found the octave mandolin wow I was even more taken over, then I got an electric octave mandolin, and I ended back playing my old original songs I used to play on the guitar. The last few years I have been all regular mandolin, just lately I've been going back to octave, thru all the time I have acquired almost 50 mandolin family instruments. I wish you luck funny thing is I've always wanted a tenor just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Welcome...

The "Mandoholic Anonymous" threads are cleverly disguised (hence, 'anonymous'), typically hidden within any threads concerning MAS (which it appears you've experienced a small episode.... It gets worse)... Theres no cure, so most of us have come to embrace the addiction/affliction. But I would encourage you to browse the MC classifieds (err...' not' to browse). PAS can be somewhat aggravating to some extent until you find the BC'S (umm.....I mean the pick that suits you best). But, the good news is you've found the place that is a plethora of information to support your new found habit.

Have fun.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Learning by error!

Thanks for the warning, Chris! Actually, as I was reading one of the fancy pick threads the other day, it really made me chuckle. Not because I don't think picks are important, but I am pretty sure I would have never been admitted to this group if the pick-divas knew the things I've experimented with to pick and yield unique sounds! Several would not be recognizable as picks, but things like a slightly stripped end of #14 stranded electrical wire brushed across the strings makes a cool sound!

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    Welcome...

The "Mandoholic Anonymous" threads are cleverly disguised (hence, 'anonymous'), typically hidden within any threads concerning MAS (which it appears you've experienced a small episode.... It gets worse)...
    I am trying to restrain it from totally consuming me! As a photographer, I've long suffered from GAS (G=gear), so I know the symptoms. Part of me is saying, "don't let it happen again" while another part is saying, "mandolins are cheap compared to many of the cameras and lenses I've bought!" I may require an intervention, now that you've mentioned the MC Classifieds!

Learning by error!

Thanks Darryl! I haven't dumped too much cash into this....yet! But I've got an on-going Craigslist search for anything "mandolin" everywhere I go in my travels My wife didn't even say a word when I brought home my second mandolin....so after a banjo and two mandolins in about six months, she sees where this is heading!

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I've always wanted a tenor just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I might be able to make you a deal on my Aria, because I may not want to keep it around if I'm not going to play it anymore (and can sell it to generate cash to buy my next mandolin )

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Bigskyken View Post
    ... Just trying to synch with one guy it tough enough, I can't imagine playing with a group ...
    Yeah but... They've already gone thru the whole synching-feeling learning curve. Once you're in synch with one of them, or, more correctly, with the music, then you're in synch with everyone.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

16. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Just trying to synch with one guy it tough enough...
    If you want to give the poor guy a rest, get a metronome and sync with that - it's not very sociable, but absolutely honest and it won't beat you with a guitar after a few hours of practising
    Once you can make it with the metronome, you can make it with any band.

Nice introductory story - you should be writing books.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    and it won't beat you with a guitar after a few hours of practising
    Valid point, Bertram - I will keep that in mind! Thank you

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    ... get a metronome and sync with that ...
    Just be aware that EVERY new metronome is broken. Or, at least, most of us tend to believe they are. Metronomes tend to, uhmm, "open up" and work more smoothly after you've played 'em a while ...
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

===========

Very strange thing - I have never been anything more than a barely passable musician, but I have always had an irreproachable sense of timing. Some folks can play like lightning, some have singly-unique style, others have impeccable technique and mastery of the instrument . . . . me, I'm a human metronome.

Lucky me, huh?

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Very strange thing - I have never been anything more than a barely passable musician, but I have always had an irreproachable sense of timing. Some folks can play like lightning, some have singly-unique style, others have impeccable technique and mastery of the instrument . . . . me, I'm a human metronome.

Lucky me, huh?

I want to be like Mike!

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Just be aware that EVERY new metronome is broken. Or, at least, most of us tend to believe they are. Metronomes tend to, uhmm, "open up" and work more smoothly after you've played 'em a while ...
    The one time I tried a metronome, I came to that very same conclusion!

Blog Entries

The thing is, you gotta make more than a living, you gotta make a life. And a life in music is a great choice. Infinite depth, infinite history, infinite variety, never enough knowledge, never enough practice, never enough playing, never enough gear, all kinds of transcendent moments.

Collecting beer steins was never like this. Well there was that one time...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Ken,

Look into the Yellowstone Bluegrass Assc. Here in Billings. Lots of members from eastern Montana.

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    Ken,

Look into the Yellowstone Bluegrass Assc. Here in Billings. Lots of members from eastern Montana.
    Hey neighbor, I'll check it out!

I am a mandoholic, and I freely admit it. I also have PAS and MuAS (Music Acquisition Syndrome, a corollary to Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome and Pick Acquisition Syndrome.) I have been told by my significant other that I have no hobbies, I have obsessions. This could be true. You have come to the correct place, just don't expect us to help you stop, we will only encourage the affliction.

...but I am pretty sure I would have never been admitted to this group if the pick-divas knew the things I've experimented with to pick and yield unique sounds! Several would not be recognizable as picks, but things like a slightly stripped end of #14 stranded electrical wire brushed across the strings makes a cool sound!
    One of my favorite electric bass tones came from picking with a folded up magazine subscription card. During a particularly avant garde phase, I used to leave the excess string on one of my electric guitar strings intact so I could use it as a bow. I also may have shot at a heavily distorted electric guitar with a Nerf gun at one point.

In short, this pick-diva judges not.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4