Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: tonguards ..do they really work?

Default Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

Tone-Guards work and are an essential element in the same way a shoulder-rest works with a violin.

Same goes with an arm-rest, albeit with less effect.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

Same goes with an arm-rest, albeit with less effect.

I agree with the tone guard, just try to play with mando against gut then play without it touching gut! You will hear the better sound ya get! So get that fat off the back of that horn! I'd say armrest also work, I have one but don't use it at all, just don't like the looks of one on my mandolin, ya don't see the tone guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Tom Ellis advises that the finish on his mandolins isn't fully cured until after six months have elapsed.
    Yup. From his website: "The mandolin is finished with Behlen Rockhard Oil Varnish with a Tru-Oil french polish. The varnish I use is very durable and quite resistant to sweat, heat, and alcohol, however it will still be curing and soft for 6 months or so."

This will be true of any mandolin with a similar finish. It takes a long time for the finish to fully cure, and over time it will sort of sink into the wood. When I first put my ToneGard on my Ellis, it was only a few days after I purchased it (and Tom had just delivered it to Fiddler's Green the night before I bought it). So the finish was still very young, which is why I started to get some indentations where the arms of the ToneGard contact the sides, and some slight wrinkling on either side. Over time, this seemed to disappear as the finish hardened and started to sink into the wood.

If there are permanent marks under the arms of the ToneGard, I don't care. I value the ToneGard so much that I wouldn't even mind permanently mounting it to my mandolin, similar to the old-style Gibson pick guard brackets that required a screw into the side. The only reason I'd ever be taking off my ToneGard is for repair/maintenance, if ever needed.

Angling the mandolin away from your body allows the back to resonate in the same manner as when using a 'Tone-gard'. None of the mandolin players i know (apart from one in Scotland) use a Tone-gard, & i have no problem hearing them play 'from in front'. I ''suspect'' that the biggest benefit of using a TG is for the actual player,not the listeners. My own Ellis "A" style sounds more than loud enough to me without one. I've also had no comments about it being 'quiet' at my local Folk club.
    I disagree that the benefit of the ToneGard is for the player, not the listeners. Using one will definitely increase volume and resonance, which is noticeable by the audience. Granted, an Ellis mandolin doesn't generally suffer from lack of volume; they have great projection. So it's not a matter of "needing" one to be heard. It's just a matter of drawing out the most potential from the instrument without having to hold it awkwardly away from one's body whilst playing.

For other mandolin makes/brands which don't have a lot of natural volume, a ToneGard may be more necessary for playing to a group or an audience. In fact, that's why I originally bought this ToneGard. I had it on my starter mandolin, and it really did boost the volume while still being able to hold it against my body in my natural playing position.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

4. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I have nothing against the ToneGard or the armrest or the capo or any other gadgets for the mandolin, as long as people play.However for a balanced opinion in the thread I have to say I'm an advocate of proper technique which can alleviate most if not all problems that the gadgets propose to alleviate.

6. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I have nothing against the ToneGard or the armrest or the capo or any other gadgets for the mandolin, as long as people play.However for a balanced opinion in the thread I have to say I'm an advocate of proper technique which can alleviate most if not all problems that the gadgets propose to alleviate.
    What, pray tell, is "proper technique"? As far as I can tell, mandolins have always been meant for playing in front of one's body, not held away.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

After using it for a year, I took mine off.

IMO:
    - it's more comfortable without
    - the tonal differences aren't that great with it on
    - craft beer investments can be used to alter dynamics based on the angle of the mandolin which is fun and interesting
    - no one in the bands noticed when I removed it

But hey, it's $70 on top of an Ellis. Go for it.

9. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Been using ToneGuards for 20+ years on mandolins and a couple of ukes.

Want to get some of the new surgical tubing to replace the old black rubbers.

Have never let proper technique interfere with my playing.

Tony Pires is the only maker of ToneGuards or any such device of which I am aware.

Blog Entries

I've always been impressed with the ToneGuard, especially where people play with the mandolin held across their body like a mini guitar. Personally I don't need one, as I don't hold the mandolin in against my body (it rests on my arm & the curve below the tailpiece) so haven't needed to compensate for any lost tone there. But if your hold puts the back of the mandolin against your chest or beer belly, then the TG is going to free it up from damping. As a mandolin hold is such a varied thing it would be pretty difficult to say yea or nay to someone without first seeing how they like to hold the beastie.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

If you can keep the mandolin away from your body, through a combination of perfect technique and perfect physique, the tonegard will make no difference, and is not worth getting.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If you can keep the mandolin away from your body, through a combination of perfect technique and perfect physique, the tonegard will make no difference, and is not worth getting.
    Perfectly true, but this is much harder to do while standing than sitting.

When playing a gig my band only uses one mic so when it`s time for me to take a break I raise the mandolin up away from my belly so adding a tone guard wouldn`t be much use for me, I have only been around one mandolin that had one and after trying it with and without I didn`t see any difference in tone or loudness, it was on a Weber Bitterroot mandolin which I never thought was that great anyway....If in your mind it helps then by all means invest in one, a lot of pickers hear a difference because they want to hear one, it helps to justify their decision to spend money on "improvements"...Just as a note has anyone ever seen a picker using one on a Loar or a Gilchrist?

Willie

16. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Just as a note has anyone ever seen a picker using one on a Loar or a Gilchrist?
    Uhh... Chris Thile, John Reischman, Mike Marshall, David Grisman, Ricky Skaggs, and many more Loar players use Tone Gards.

18. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ...Just as a note has anyone ever seen a picker using one on a Loar or a Gilchrist?

Willie
    Mike Marshall and John Reischman (the only two Loars I've met face to fretboard...)

I know that Jordan Ramsey (active on this forum and an excellent picker) uses one on his new Ellis F5 that he won at Winfield this year.

Tone-Gards work so well ... why are they not adapted for steel string and nylon guitars.

Or for the bowed stringed instrument family.

I don't like the look of the toneguard (or its weight), but I liked the idea of getting more volume out of my no-name 70s F5, so I fudged a fix-it out of a stray piece of pine, two viola chinrest brackets, a lot of filing and sanding, and endless coats of walnut stain. I think it does most of what a toneguard is supposed to do, and I quickly got used to playing with it. It does not need to be removed to fit in any case I have used.

I am certain it makes my mandolin louder for me, but doubt if it makes much difference to anyone standing in front of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view#1 web.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	157174

Name:	side view#1 web.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	157175

Name:	back view#7 web.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	157176

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    If they work so well, why not experiment with genuine Loars to see if they will also improve.
    As noted above, John Reischman, David Grisman, Chris Thile, Mike Marshall, Ricky Skaggs and many other Loar players use them. Dawg even has a custom model.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Another +1 for the Tone Gard - yes they work! They do increase volume but they also increase resonance and depth. Love mine and, if I ever got second mandolin, I'd buy a second TG to go with it.

Tone-Gards work so well ... why are they not adapted for steel string and nylon guitars.

Have you even bothered to check the website? He makes a "D-Gard" for dreadnought guitars. He makes Gards for ukuleles, dulcimers, banjos, etc.

Bowed stringed instruments generally are not held against the chest. And they already have their own devices like shoulder rests.

I don't recall the brand, 20+ years ago I had a fiddle shoulder rest that was the same coverage as a tone gard, made from a solid piece of nylon/plastic, and marketed as focusing the sound leaking out the back of the fiddle away from the ground and the player. It didn't fit well or stay in place so I ditched it, but if I find it in my gear cave, I'll try it again for analysis.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Perfectly true, but this is much harder to do while standing than sitting.
    Very true. But some folks can do it. I don't have the technique or the physique.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I use a Schertler dyn pickup. My mandolin sounds best with the pickup attached to the back, directly below the bridge. The Tonegaurd separates the pickup from my body.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    As noted above, John Reischman, David Grisman, Chris Thile, Mike Marshall, Ricky Skaggs and many other Loar players use them. Dawg even has a custom model.
    Skaggs' is a custom version also (flowerpot design) and Alan Bibey uses a custom with 'AB' on his Loar.

I personally think they're great and would rather not play without one.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

The Tone-Gard on the back of John Reischman's Loar F5 has been cleverly outfitted to carry the wireless preamp unit for his DPA4099 microphone (which is clamped to the side and positioned over one of the f-holes). The Tone-Gard therefore does double duty as a part of his sound system, as well as improving the tone of his mandolin when he plays it. He uses the "art deco" style of Tone-Gard, rather than the "sunrise" style, if memory serves, because the metal bars are slightly farther apart, offer a bit more room to mount the preamp.

Yes, they do - and in addition to whatever anyone else has said, I just resurrected an old Epiphone MM30 from the back of the closet … new strings, new bridge … and it still sounds terrible - BUT! - it sounds much better when played away from and not resting up against the gut.

33. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post: