Thread: Considering a breedlove crossover fflaminated dies and csck

Default Considering a breedlove crossover fflaminated dies and csck

Can anyone say at what serial number and date breedlove started to use solid woods in their backs and sides, on their Asian built crossovers? Is there any way to recognize laminated versus solid wood?

Default Re: Considering a breedlove crossover fflaminated dies and csck

For the A styles, the obvious visual difference is the tailpiece. The older versions had a cast tailpiece. There were no older F and K styles. All of these will be solid.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Default Re: Considering a breedlove crossover fflaminated dies and csck

FWIW, i just took receipt of a new crossover FF natural that i got for less than $500/shipped. yep, it's all solid wood. out of the box it plays well. however, for me, it does require a setup tweaking for a more lowered action, and better strings - and i'll perform a full fret level and crown to boot. the fret wire mics @ .076" wide. as is, it sounds ... BIG. very full and rich mid-range overall, far more reminiscent of a "A" than an "F". the bass isn't overly boomy, which is a plus for me. the treble end is sweet and clear. the neck back shape is a full, soft "U" and feels quite good (some were saying it's a "C" shape - NOT). very pleased with this purchase.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!